Underbelly: The Golden Mile

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory

Screen Actors Guild Winner
Cash on hand: 72.50
Bank: 116,581.60
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:46 pm
As i understand it, the third story will be about the Woodward Royal Commision.
How many people hee actually know what that was all about?

I personally think they should have based the 3 story around the Chopper Read books and/or Neddy Smith.
****"Unless you Puke, Faint or Die- KEEP WALKING!"
Jillian Michaels
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 882.50
Bank: 3,905,233.20
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:15 am
Urgh if it is anything like the second series I think I won't even bother with it.

Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:16 am
Woodward as in into Police Corruption? I was reading about it extensively at the time, most of the action centring around Kings Cross and Darlinghurst. Have other connections to that era :silenced:
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 16,354.10
Bank: 659,744.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Wasn't it Wood Royal Commission or was that another one, there are/have been so many.
BRING BACK LETTERS AND NUMBERS
Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 7,220.40
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:25 pm
I really hope Underbelly 3 is the last.... seriously..... enough already.... :roll:

Nine are like a dog with a bone...

[quote:93400e89fe]
[size=18:93400e89fe]Cameras roll on Underbelly 3 in August[/size:93400e89fe]

Underbelly’s third series will start shooting in August, according to news.com.au.

Writer and producer Peter Gawler is tight-lipped about the content of the next series but says some of the action will be set in Sydney’s western suburbs.

“It will fill the chronological gap between Underbelly 2 and Underbelly 1 and start in the late 1980s and run through to the mid-to-late ’90s,” Gawler said.

This is a period in which police corruption was rife and eventually led to the Wood Royal Commission from 1994 to 1997.

Producers have previously gone on the record to indicate it will not, as rumoured, include the Russell St. bombing in Melbourne.

It is expected to air next February.
[/quote:93400e89fe]

Source: http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/06/cameras-roll-on-underbelly-3-in-august.html
Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 7,220.40
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:15 pm
[quote:93a073cf1d]
[size=18:93a073cf1d]Underbelly 3: The Golden Mile[/size:93a073cf1d]

Channel Nine has announced its third series of Underbelly will be dubbed Underbelly: The Golden Mile.

It will be centered on Kings Cross beginning around 1989 and will feature “the excesses of the empire, the collapse of the empire, the chaos that followed, and the ultimate victory of strong and honest police…seen through the eyes of some of the most sexy, charming, corrupt and deadly people of the time,” says a publicity release.

“The cops were bent and the crims were cool. And together they ran the most exciting street in Australia. Strippers, gamblers, gunmen, dealers, bouncers, bagmen – they all came to the Golden Mile.

“A smart and sexy young Kim Hollingsworth, smiling teenage Kings Cross identity Johnny Ibrahim, the Bayeh Brothers, Trevor Haken, Chook Fowler…the Golden Mile was their playground, and they played like there was no tomorrow.”

It will include the Wood Royal Commission established around 1995 to rid corruption from the NSW Police, the same era as the ABC’s corrupt cop miniseries, Blue Murder, was produced.

Jo Horsburgh, Executive Producer and Nine’s Head of Drama said, “I’m thrilled that we’re bringing a third series of Underbelly to the Nine audience. Once again this is a completely new story, with engaging characters who will thrill and entertain us. There are also some familiar faces from series two returning whose story continues into this series. I’m very excited about Underbelly 3, it’s shaping up to be one of the best yet.”

Des Monaghan, Executive Producer said “Here at Screentime we’re satisfied that the characters and stories we have identified for series three will deliver on high expectations of the Underbelly audience.”

Nine indicates pre-production will start in Sydney soon with filming to be completed by the end of the year.

Despite some comment it didn’t necessarily match the first season in content, ratings for Underbelly’s second season were consistently over the 2m mark.
[/quote:93a073cf1d]

Source: http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/06/underbelly-3-the-golden-mile.html

Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:44 pm
Lou Bayeh :roll:

Yes, I remember the fallout from the royal commission and how it impacted on my workplace.

But if the series is basically set in Sydney will it flop given that the Melbourne angle is what is the hit with viewers?
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:52 pm
Sounds ok but if the last series is to go by it will be crap. I hope this is it.

Golden Globe Nominee
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:15 pm
Your first look at Underbelly: The Golden Mile

North Sydney's Lane Cove transformed into 1980's King Cross.

http://www.tvauscast.com/2009/09/16/your-first-look-at-underbelly-the-golden-mile/
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:09 pm
Here we go again. This time NSW may have to wait to see Underbelly

TV Tonight wrote:Defamation suit against Underbelly

Here we go again.

Former NSW Police Constable Wendy Hatfield has launched defamation action in the Supreme Court against the Nine Network, claiming she has been intimately linked with John Ibrahim in the upcoming Underbelly series.

According to the Daily Telegraph, the former officer argues the series is based on the book Underbelly: The Golden Mile which defames her in chapter three by claiming she “had a sexual relationship with John Ibrahim, knowing him to be a notorious criminal”. Ms Hatfield, who now lives in Victoria, was linked to Ibrahim in the Wood Royal Commission in 1996.

A barrister is now seeking access to five episodes of the Nine series before it goes to air, with a plan to taking out an injunction if it is defamatory.

“Constable Wendy” is played by actress Jessica Tovey in the upcoming series, which does not yet have an airdate.

The article notes Ms. Hatfield has not seen any of the drama’s episodes.

The first series of Underbelly did not air in full in the state of Victoria due to pending legal cases, but it made the series hot all over rest of the country with constant headlines in the newspapers.

Justice Ian Harrison is expected to hand his decision down on Friday week.

Source: Daily Telegraph
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies