Twin Peaks (SPOILERS)

Like your Sci-Fi? Chat about your favourite shows, test your knowledge in the long running Sci Fi quiz, read about upcoming conventions or post your con reports! Come in and mix with the best :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 12,680.00
Bank: 975,954.30
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:08 pm
I screw up...lol ;)

But there is certainly enough supernatural elements to justify it being in this section.
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 547,683.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:03 pm
I need to check this show on DVD or something. I remember the hype on TV as a kid, and I like the work of David Lynch that I have seen so far. I have seen the 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me' movie aswell, giving backstory to Laura Palmer's disappearance.

This show may fit under the 'Fantasy and Occult' side of things if anything too? Also the show can be seen as another pre-cursor or influence on 'The X-Files.'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098936/

IMDB, though being a source contributed to by users, includes Sci-Fi/Horror/Thriller/Mystery in the show's genres. To be honest, I think this show can be considered Horror aswell and many horror slanted shows are listed under this 'Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Occult' section.
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Cash on hand: 210.00
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:31 pm
[quote:a37ae27ce0="VMars"]I screw up...lol ;)

But there is certainly enough supernatural elements to justify it being in this section.[/quote:a37ae27ce0]

Well, I disagree, but whatever the mods want.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:39 pm
If you see what it has spawned these days, shows like Medium, Supernatural and The X-Files in the past etc.. compare just aswell to this show, as a more regular crime/mystery drama does. But yes, it is a Drama/Mystery, but it's layered into these other mysterious elements and ofcourse being from David Lynch, it's always somewhat wierd.

Infact some may argue Twin Peaks would fit more in line with this section, rather than the straight Drama section. But the Drama section includes 'Mystery' I guess, so maybe it should be moved there. Perhaps Mystery could be added to the Drama section title? As there's always a few mystery shows on TV and often they crossover a bit with this section, so the line gets blurry.
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:56 pm
:| No.
No, it hasn't spawned that many shows. It's had spoofs in many shows, Northern Exposure, As Told By Ginger, The Simpsons... and many more. But it didn't INSPIRE many great shows.
Only a few. :P
Raise a glass to mend all the broken hearts of all my wrecked up friends.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:18 pm
[quote:95e695b804="Lorelai"]:| No.
No, it hasn't spawned that many shows. It's had spoofs in many shows, Northern Exposure, As Told By Ginger, The Simpsons... and many more. But it didn't INSPIRE many great shows.
Only a few. :P[/quote:95e695b804]

Well it has, indirectly. The style etc.. at the time, there was nothing like Twin Peaks on TV. Since then the X-Files came about. I know X-Files more credits 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' as a direct influence, but certainly stylistically Twin Peaks has influenced the X-Files and many other shows, even today. Offcourse if Twin Peaks inspired the X Files, and the X Files has inspired contemporary shows, then Twin Peaks has had a hand in inspiring contemporary TV :) .

Basically the Twin Peaks influence is more stylistic I guess, though the mystery/horror element still continues to this day, though most of these shows I think of like even 'Lost' are probably more influenced directly or indirectly by The X-Files.
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:44 pm
You really never saw another show like Twin Peaks BEFORE Twin Peaks? :? Seriously? :shrug:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:52 pm
[quote:e40d31751b="Lorelai"]You really never saw another show like Twin Peaks BEFORE Twin Peaks? :? Seriously? :shrug:[/quote:e40d31751b]

But Twin Peaks was pretty original, right? I'm not saying entirely, but it was something different. Im not of the era before then, so am not that familiar with shows immediately preceding it. Though obviously I mentioned Kolchak. But from what I can gather for a TV Show, Twin Peaks was a fresh change from the trend at the time.

In saying that, this show can be hyped and some of what i guage is from fan's perspective, so that must be kept in perspective. But I stand by that this show was indeed something different at the time, in terms of television.

Ofcourse nearly everything has it's predecessors and I'm sure Twin Peaks is no different. If you are informed of what may've influenced Twin Peaks then enlighten me as I haven't looked into it. As I said, im not that strong on similar genre shows preceding Twin Peaks, but from what I gather, Twin Peaks was quite different to what was around at the time, on TV.

Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:57 pm
I doubt anyone could get away with the fattening coffee and donut parties in this day and age! I am left wondering what happened to everyone after the series 2 finale - did Audrey get killed?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:54 pm
What is that new show that's being hailed as the next Twin Peaks? God, my mind has drawn a blank...
PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi & Fantasy