General Sci-Fi News & Discussion

Like your Sci-Fi? Chat about your favourite shows, test your knowledge in the long running Sci Fi quiz, read about upcoming conventions or post your con reports! Come in and mix with the best :)
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 3,802.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:51 pm
I must have changed in the last 2 years because mine is pretty different!! Or maybe it's the people around me who have change...INTO MUPPETS!!! :O

You Scored as Moya (Farscape)
You are surrounded by muppets. But that is okay because they are your friends and have shown many times that they can be trusted. Now if only you could stop being bothered about wormholes.

Spoiler: show
Moya (Farscape)
100%
Serenity (Firefly)
100%
SG-1 (Stargate)
88%
Millennium Falcon (Star Wars)
88%
FBI's X-Files Division (The X-Files)
81%
Babylon 5 (Babylon 5)
75%
Bebop (Cowboy Bebop)
75%
Nebuchadnezzar (The Matrix)
63%
Deep Space Nine (Star Trek)
63%
Andromeda Ascendant (Andromeda)
56%
Heart of Gold (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
50%
Galactica (Battlestar: Galactica)
50%
Enterprise D (Star Trek)
25%
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer"
Sopranos Mobster
Cash on hand: 302.50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:42 am
well this didn't work out did it. I was looking forward to a new Wonder Woman tv series. Although I would prefer to see them make a movie. I love the original tv series with Lynda Carter so much. I don't know why it is so hard for them to make a new Wonder Woman feature. This one failed. Did anyone catch the leaked pilot? I think I watched less than half of it... I dont think I had time to watch the whole episode at the time and never went back to it. I wonder when we will see the next attempt? They have to get it right at some point and I think that will only happen if they go back to the original comics, back to the orgins of Wonder Woman... none of this updating to our modern world.
Save The Bill Facebook Petition -
http://www.facebook.com/SaveTheBill
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:41 pm
Moviehole wrote:Michael Dorn developing 'Star Trek: Captain Worf' series

A new “Star Trek” series fixing on towering Starfleet officer ‘Worf’ – a regular on “Star Trek : The Next Generation” and “Star Trek : Deep Space Nine” – mightn’t be far off.

Actor Michael Dorn, who played Worf on screens big and small, has been developing a spin-off television series featuring his Klingon character.

Though only Paramount, and those with the scissors to slice down the red tape, can officially greenlight such a show – it’s not up to the actor, obviously – Dorn tells TrekNews.net his project is gaining traction.

"I had come up with the idea because I love the character and I think he’s a character that hasn’t been fully developed and hasn’t been fully realized. Once I started thinking about it, it became obvious to me that I wanted to at least put it out there, which I have, and the response has been pretty amazing. We’ve been contacted by different individuals–I can’t say who and all that–about wanting to come on board and be part of this. Also, there’s all the political stuff going on with the new movies, with J.J. Abrams and Paramount and all that stuff, which I have no clue about and what it all entails, but that’s where it is right now.

Interestingly enough it has gotten traction. I was very surprised, I was on a movie not too long ago, where one of the producers was basically lobbying to be part of it. He was like “Michael, I’d love to write it, if you haven’t.” So at this point, my agents and my manager are looking at all the avenues and trying to figure out which is the best one. My agent and manager have been in the business for awhile, so they’re very savvy about where to start and how to get it going. Like I said, in this business you never know and I’ve been through pitching things and I never want to do that again [laughs]. It’s pretty brutal, but definitely I think once again, if Paramount or CBS or anybody thinks this is a viable thing, they’ll jump on it."

Dorn has titled his series “Star Trek : Captain Worf”.

I hope this gets the green-light because then the original timeline can continue to stay alive. ;)
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:44 am
TMT wrote:Wonder Woman Pilot in Development: Strike Two

The David E. Kelley Wonder Woman pilot will go down by many as one of the all-time great failures. Assuming you can get your hands on a copy. I got pals who could hook me up, sure. But seeing the few minutes that leaked online (Like here for example) didn't entice me to see the rest.

You know how some things are so bad, they're good? This was so bad, what crap did Warner Brothers/DC Comics snort to commission this? They get props in my book for taking the risk on the unorthodox Kelley, the final results notwithstanding.

A year and change after NBC passed on the infamous Adrianne Palicki-non-starter, they're taking a second swig at the sauce, per Vulture. This attempt for the CW and this time they plan is to "Smallville it." Even picked a title reeking of the Superman-cock tease waste-of-time: Amazon. Diana would be Wonder Woman in everything but name, costume and spend 10 years deciding if she wanted to use her powers for good. In between fighting her rogues gallery and meeting her allies WB would allow.

On a positive note, Wonder Woman headed back to television suggests Justice League is looking less like a sure-thing on the movie-front. Why bother developing a pilot, with serious intentions to go to series, if WB hires a separate actress for the films?

I resurrected the Wonder Woman thread and changed the name to 'Amazon'. This looks to be an interesting development and I'm glad that JLA is getting less likely every day. ;)
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:24 pm
SuperheroHype wrote:Details Revealed on The CW's New Wonder Woman Series

First announced back in September, The CW is developing a new "Wonder Woman" pilot in the hopes of bringing the character back in a regular television series. Today, Deadline reveals that the new take on the DC Comics heroine may actually focus on a new iteration of Wonder Woman with a character named Iris.

The site managed to get their hands on a character description being used in the casting process. They note that the network is looking for particularly tall actresses to play the part, asking for those who audition to be 5'8" or taller. The leaked description reads as follows:

"She comes from a remote, secluded country and until now has spent most of her life as a soldier and a leader on the battlefield. Because of relentless brutality of her life at home, Iris looks at our world with absolute awe and astonishment. She’s delighted and just as often horrified by the aspects of everyday life that we take for granted: skyscrapers, traffic, ice cream. It’s all new and fascinating and sometimes slightly troubling to her. Iris is completely unschooled in our world, our culture, our customs. And she’s completely inexperienced at interpersonal relationships. She has no social filter, does not suffer fools, and tends to do and say exactly what’s on her mind at all times. She’s bluntly, refreshingly honest. She can tell when you’re lying to her. And she doesn’t have time or patience for politics or tact because she’s too busy trying to experience everything our world has to offer. There are too many sights to see and things to learn and people to care for. Hers is a true, noble, and generous heart. And she will fight and die for the people she loves. Iris is a fierce warrior with the innocent heart of a romantic and she will fight to the death to make the world safe for innocents and true romantics everywhere."

Allan Heinberg, who has written both "Wonder Woman" comics and the CW series "Gilmore Girls," has been tapped to write the script which bears the working title "Amazon." As of now, the script is all that has been ordered. There's no pilot or series commitment yet, and Heinberg is taking the character back to the beginning with a retelling of the origin.

As to why the show will follow Iris over the traditional Diana Prince remains to be seen, though it's a distinct possibility that the Prince version of the character is being held back for the upcoming Justice League feature film.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,398.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:25 am
seems there's a new Terminator series in the works, which has a connection to Terminator 5!

both will be out in 2015 - http://moviehole.net/201370778terminato ... qXDvn8aySM
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:57 pm
Cyborg wrote:seems there's a new Terminator series in the works, which has a connection to Terminator 5!

both will be out in 2015 - http://moviehole.net/201370778terminato ... qXDvn8aySM

Anything Terminator is interesting for me. I'm glad the original timeline is still intact since it's a reboot. Don't know why they have to "reboot" the franchise since they are keeping Schwarzenegger and each of the four films are essentially different timelines due to time-travel anyway. We'll see. 8-)
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:28 am
Thanks Cyborg for the tip. ;)

Worst Previews wrote:New "Terminator" TV Series in the Works

We already know that a "Terminator" reboot trilogy is currently in the works. But now comes word that the plan is to also create a new "Terminator" TV series, to be written by "Thor" and "X-Men: First Class" writers Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller.

The TV series will follow a critical moment from the first "Terminator" film (1984). Where the film's story goes one way, the upcoming series will take the same moment in a completely different direction. As the rebooted film trilogy and the new TV series progress, the two narratives will intersect with each other in surprising and dramatic ways.

It's still not clear when the TV series will air. But the first installment in the reboot is set to hit theaters on July 1st, 2015.

Deadline wrote:‘Game Of Thrones’ Emilia Clarke Set For ‘Terminator’ In Sarah Connor Role

It’s official. Emilia Clarke will play Sarah Connor in the Terminator reboot, re-teaming with director Alan Taylor, who has worked with Clarke in the HBO series Game Of Thrones. Clarke joins Jason Clarke, who is in negotiations to play her son John Connor in a storyline I’ve heard involved a trip into the future. Deadline revealed that he was in talks earlier this week. Arnold Schwarzenegger is also back in his signature cyborg role.

This was a hotly contested role and it came down to Clarke and Brie Larson. Both actresses tested for the producers at David Ellison’s Skydance and Megan Ellison’s Annapurna, and Paramount, which will release the film in July 2015. Clarke’s breakout role came in Thrones, where she plays the dragon-commanding heroine Daenerys Targaryen in that massive HBO series, and is probably the most sympathetic of all vying to rule. She started as a shy sister of an annoying king brother, but has demonstrated the mettle to capably play one of the screen’s most formidable heroines as originated by Linda Hamilton in James Cameron’s first two films in the series.

Very excited about these projects. 8-)
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:57 pm
SuperheroHype wrote:The CW is No Longer Developing the Wonder Woman Series Amazon

Although it doesn't come as a huge surprise given the character's upcoming big screen plans in Batman vs. Superman, The Hollywood Reporter has today confirmed that The CW is no longer developing "Amazon," the planned series that would have followed a young Diana of Themyscira.

Put on hold in July, "Amazon" was being scripted by Allan Heinberg. It followed an earlier attempt at bringing the character to the small screen. In 2011, a "Wonder Woman" pilot with Adrianne Palicki in the lead was shot but never aired.

Wonder Woman fans will still have Gal Gadot's big screen turn as the classic heroine to look forward to and, while unconfirmed at this time, rumors have been swirling about a spinoff film for the heroine and/or a big screen Justice League feature film.

Batman vs. Superman, which also stars Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Amy Adams, Diane Lane and Laurence Fishburne, enters production soon for a July 17, 2015 release.

But then we have this from CW President Mark Pedowitz:

Collider wrote:'Amazon' Still in Development?

Are you still developing an Amazon series? Does Fox’s Gotham series impact that?

PEDOWITZ: Well, Gotham is the origination show of Chief Gordon. They do not impact us. We all live in our separate universes. Gotham is one universe. Starling City is another universe. Should The Flash go, Central City would be another universe. Characters, if they cross over, will cross over. If characters can’t cross over, they won’t. Remember, it’s an origination story in Gotham. We’re much more in a different time. So, we’ll see what happens.

Very peculiar... :?
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:45 am
Let me know if I got this wrong, because this is technically a fantasy film so I thought I should place it here.

Collider wrote:Fox Developing BIG TV Show from ENLISTED Creators

Mining familiar IP is not a new notion in the world of television, and fresh off the debut of its Batman semi-prequel series Gotham, Fox is now developing a Big TV show. Deadline reports that Enlisted executive producers Kevin Biegel and Mike Royce have sold a half-hour comedy adaptation of Big to Fox that they will write and executive produce. Loosely based on Penny Marshall’s classic 1988 film starring Tom Hanks, the potential series is described as a show that “explores what it means to be an adult and what it means to be a kid, and how in today’s world those two things are more confused than ever.” This is actually pretty thematically relevant material as today’s generation doesn’t feel forced to “grow up” as soon as they graduate from college, and instead fully embrace their nostalgia for the movies, TV shows, and even commercials that they enjoyed as kids.

The folks over at Deadline don’t have much more information on the prospective series, but the show is still very much in development and not a sure thing just yet. I was a fan of Biegel’s work on Cougar Town and while I couldn’t fully get into Enlisted, I know the show had many fans that were disappointed with its early cancellation. The sense of humor that he and Royce exhibited on that show makes me think they’ll turn out a swell pilot for Big, so it’ll be interesting to see if Fox takes a liking to the script and officially orders production on a pilot.

I really do think that, as described, this Big TV show could dive deep into some of the touchstones of the current “man-child” generation. Gone are the days when being a grown up meant wearing a business suit and getting a job in insurance sales. Nerds are “cool” now—just look at the variety of people wearing superhero T-shirts—and even the moviegoing marketplace has transformed into a place where trying to get a dramatic, adults-only film financed is a Herculean challenge while studios are lining up superhero movie after superhero movie. Thinking back on the original Big, one imagines in today’s world, Hanks’ Josh Baskin wouldn’t really seem all that strange.

It’s certainly a curious dichotomy, and as long as Biegel and Royce stay away from trying to imitate the classic Hanks-fronted film, I think it could wind up being a pretty interesting TV show.

Here's the trailer for the Tom Hanks film:

Last edited by Kal on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi & Fantasy