General Sci-Fi News & Discussion

Like your Sci-Fi? Chat about your favourite shows, test your knowledge in the long running Sci Fi quiz, read about upcoming conventions or post your con reports! Come in and mix with the best :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 16,973.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:14 pm
I think it should be no problem, like you said it's fantasy which involves a magic zoltar machine.

although this section is more for the supernatural/horror type of stuff. hmm

good idea for a TV series though, like with From Dusk Till Dawn its fleshing out the story and allowing more time for the character to have more fun as an adult. I wonder who will play him, has to be a real goofball.
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 29,909.00
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:20 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Geoff Johns Talks The Flash and the DC Multiverse

Geoff Johns has gone from fan favorite comic book writer to the mastermind behind the DC universe on TV and film, helping to develop the slate of three new shows debuting this season–”The Flash,” “Gotham” and “Constantine”–as well as executive producing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. As the chief creative officer and spokesperson for DC Entertainment, Johns just did an interview with BuzzFeed in which he discusses the alluring concept of “the multiverse” and how the shows and movies will be separate but inherently tied worlds, as with Ezra Miller portraying The Flash in movies and Grant Gustin donning the red suit for TV.

“We had talked about it previously being distinct,” Johns said, “but I can’t really talk about the films. We haven’t really gone into detail about what that stuff is so I don’t want to get too detailed yet,” adding “You have to have conversations about what’s happening in TV and film between everybody because you don’t want to do the same thing. That’s super, super important.”

With Miller only just announced last week, it’s no wonder there hasn’t been too much set in stone about the character, but DC has no plans to have their shows and movies overlap the way Marvel’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and the upcoming “Agent Carter” ties in with their cinematic universe. So even if there is a Justice League Dark movie, don’t expect to see Matt Ryan playing John Constantine in it.

“‘Arrow’ and ‘Flash’ are the same universe, and we get a lot of great story out of that – especially when we have episodes that cross them over, but that’s also where our superhero universe lives,” Johns explained. “We look at it as the multiverse. We have our TV universe and our film universe, but they all co-exist. For us, creatively, it’s about allowing everyone to make the best possible product, to tell the best story, to do the best world. Everyone has a vision and you really want to let the visions shine through… Maybe one day we’ll link a show to a film if it makes sense, but the creative process we’re going through right now is to let the stuff live and breathe and be its own thing and own it.”

That said, the DC shows are taking a page from the Marvel playbook in teasing characters with a larger plan in mind.

“We’re trying to utilize as many characters as we possibly can,” Johns said, “but there is a conscious effort to explore the DC universe. Like on ‘Constantine,’ we already have Jim Corrigan, we put Dr. Fate’s helmet in the pilot; that wasn’t just a easter egg. I like the term easter egg, but I prefer all our easter eggs actually lead somewhere, that they’re foreshadowing… There might be someone out there who sees Dr. Fate on an episode of ‘Constantine’ and suddenly they love that character and they become a creator later on and tell me they have a great take for a Dr. Fate TV show. That’s what we want to happen. Like, I can’t believe Gorilla Grodd’s gonna be in a ‘Flash’ TV show. That’s insane.”

Finally, Johns discussed the importance of diversity in the DC universe with its programming, including some new female-centric shows on their slate.

“We have ‘Supergirl’ and ‘Lucifer’ in development, and they’re both very different than everything we’re doing now,” promised Johns. “It’s well past time there’s a female superhero out there, both in film and on television, and it’s awesome that we’re on the forefront of that… ‘iZombie’ was like this dark horse than showed up because Susan Rovner [co-president of Warner Horizon Scripted Television] and Rob Thomas had been talking about doing something new and we had been talking to Susan about ‘iZombie,’ and she helped champion that.”

I can see a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" scenario happening between film, TV and all the different universes these characters live in. I'm positive we'll have a TV Superman alongside Henry Cavill's version in the near future. :ugeek:

Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:57 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:David Goyer Attached to New TV Series "Krypton"?

Bleeding Cool (who first reported on both the upcoming Supergirl and the rumored X-Men TV series) brings word that following the success of “Gotham” and it’s pre-Batman stories, DC Entertainment is developing another DC Comics-based show. This one is titled none other than “Krypton,” and it has Man of Steel screenwriter David Goyer attached.

Details are sparse on what the series actually will be, but BC speculates that it might be a pre-Superman drama set on his home planet potentially involving the likes of the House of El or Brainiac. Fans were very vocal about enjoying the opening sequences of Man of Steel that depicted Kal-El’s home, so perhaps this will be DC Entertainment’s first TV series tied into their movie universe.

Goyer is currently executive producing both NBC’s adaptation of “Constantine” along with “Da Vinci’s Demons” on STARZ. He also wrote the first draft of the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

If this series is green-lit then this would go well with the 'Supergirl' TV series.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:07 pm
Trek News wrote:CW President Says He Wants Star Trek

This May will mark ten-years since Star Trek: Enterprise on UPN went off the air. With the 50th anniversary of the franchise right around the corner and fans clamoring for Trek’s return to television, The CW’s president Mark Pedowitz has revealed that he’s interested in a new Star Trek series for the network.

Star Trek could wind up back on TV at The CW

During the Executive Session of the Television Critics Association press tour, Pedowitz was asked if The CW would be interested in a new Star Trek series.

The CW president answered by saying “As a life-long ‘Star Trek’ fan, I would hope to have ‘Star Trek’ at The CW,” and going on to clarify, by saying “I have heard no discussion about it going out as a TV series at all,”.

The CW is currently the home to other genre TV shows, including Arrow, The Flash and The Vampire Diaries.

Will Star Trek return to television? While nothing is certain, the fan interest and current landscape sure seem right.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:28 pm
Nerdist wrote:RUMOR: CBS Developing new Star Trek TV Series

This year marks ten years since Star Trek: Enterprise went off the air, and ever since, fans have been wondering when a new Star Trek series would come back to television. Sure, the J.J. Abrams movies have been successful, but the Trek movies always seemed like something extra, the icing on the cake for Trekkers, but not the cake itself. The cake is Star Trek as a regular, ongoing television series. And with the franchises’ 50th Anniversary next year, fans have been hoping that some kind of announcement would be made about a return to TV for the franchise. Now, a new rumor has surfaced that suggests it might very well be happening… and details on what it could be about have actually been available online for years.

According to the report, back before the 2009 movie reboot, there were two competing pitches for a Star Trek TV revival. One was developed by Babylon 5 creator and comics writing legend J. Michael Straczynski and Dark Skies’ Bryce Zabel, which would have rebooted the original Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio with all new actors. The details of that pitch are actually all online and make for a fascinating “what if” read.

The other pitch, which in my opinion was far more interesting, was from novelist Geoffrey Thorne, along with X-Men’s Bryan Singer, Free Enterprise director Rob Burnett, and Usual Suspects writer Christopher McQuarrie. It was called Star Trek: Federation. This one was set in the timeline of the original five shows, but set much farther into the future, where the United Federation of Planets has become a “fat n’ happy” bloated empire, with the age of exploration (and heroes like Kirk and Picard) far behind them, with a Starfleet made of old ships just patrolling the borders. All the classic races form Trek canon like the Vulcans, Klingons and Ferengi have evolved into interesting new cultures as well. An attack from a new enemy shocks the Federation out of their complacency, and an all new, very advanced Enterprise is built. There are full details on that pitch here, and it also sounds like this would have been a very solid foundation for a new Trek series that doesn’t invalidate all the others, but built upon it.

So what happened to both of these pitches? Well, CBS, which owns the rights to Star Trek on TV, wanted to let the franchise cool off after Enterprise was cancelled, and let sister company Paramount focus on bringing Trek back to movies. Ultimately the Abrams movies were very successful, which rendered the J. Michael Straczynski original series reboot moot.

But what about Star Trek: Federation? Well, it seems the same people who made the pitch for Federation are involved with making a new pitch for CBS, as Bryan Singer’s name has been mentioned for the new CBS Star Trek as a possible Executive Producer through his Bad Hat Harry productions. Meanwhile, Rob Burnett, who is one of the producers on the fan-funded Star Trek: Axanar, (which shows how great a Star Trek project can look on a micro-budget) is said to still be involved. And Chris McQuarrie, who is directing this summer’s Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, is another name from the original Federation pitch who seems to be in the mix as well. Could they be pitching an all-new version of Trek, or could they be digging the Federation pitch out of mothballs?

The original report suggests that whatever the new Trek TV project is, they want the focus right now to be on next summer’s Star Trek 3, but once that has come out, expect an official announcement to be made. It’s been a decade now, and CBS knows that Star Trek is far too valuable a known IP to leave off television for too long. I’m sure we’ll be learning more details in the months and years ahead.

25th Century Trek based on the original timeline? Yes please! They would mention the disappearance of Spock due to Nero and have cameos from Picard, Riker, Worf and Data! 8-)
Previous

Return to Sci-Fi & Fantasy