The Starlet

Chat about all of your Reality TV favourites including Masterchef, The Biggest Loser, Survivor, plus all of your overseas RTV favourites.

Hollywood Walk of Fame Star
Cash on hand: 10.00
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:19 pm
I've done the search and didn't find this topic, so hence I've started it. If there is one for The Starlet, please accept my apologies but I did look.

The Starlet started tonight on Arena (Foxtel) at 9.30pm and already I'm hooked.

[quote:bd43b1f49d]The Starlet is the ultimate wish-fulfillment reality series. A behind-the-scenes look at the Hollywood star-making machine on fast forward, The Starlet takes a group of 10 beautiful and talented aspiring actresses and puts them through an intense Hollywood "boot camp," complete with acting classes, live performances, screen tests and brutally honest critiques by a panel of judges headed by Academy Award-winning actress Faye Dunaway (Bonnie and Clyde, Chinatown, Network). In addition to Ms. Dunaway, the panel of judges consists of film star Vivica A. Fox (Kill Bill. Vol. 1, Independence Day, Soul Food) and famed casting director Joseph Middleton (Mr. And Mrs. Smith, Legally Blonde, The Bourne Identity).

Set in the glitter of Tinsel Town, "The Starlet" has one purpose - to discover the next young actress with the potential to become a major star. The prize is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: a career-launching role on The WB's hit drama "One Tree Hill," a one-year management contract with 3 Arts Entertainment and an overall talent deal with The WB. In order to win, each young woman will have to prove she has three special gifts - talent, star quality and attitude.

Another Hollywood insider - Katie Wagner, daughter of Robert Wagner - is the series' host. Even the locations are rich in Hollywood history. The actresses live together in a house once owned by the ultimate starlet, Marilyn Monroe. Screen tests take place in renowned Hollywood locations: Los Angeles' old Orpheum Theater, where Judy Garland once performed; Griffith Park's Bronson Caves, which have appeared in countless films and served as the Bat Cave in the "Batman" television series; and the Sunset Strip's Comedy Store, where scores of comedians have made the leap from obscurity to stardom.

Along the way, the actresses have the benefit of classes with top acting coaches in drama, comedy and commercials. Guest-stars drop in to help with scenes, including Jaime Pressly (Not Another Teen Movie, Jack & Jill) and David Gallagher (7th Heaven). The actresses also compete to appear in a special "style" video for Garnier hair products. In each episode, one actress is selected for special rewards, including a glamorous walk down the red carpet at the film premiere of "Ocean's 12" with "Days of Our Lives" star Matt Cedeño. Other "star treatments" include a photo session with sought-after photographer Simon Gluckman, a makeover with top stylists and a power dinner with a Hollywood director.

Real-life drama fills each episode as the actresses live in the same house and compete for the life-changing prize. Under intense pressure, friendships and rivalries are formed and countless tears are shed. Tension builds as the aspiring actresses are eliminated when Faye Dunaway delivers the most feared line in Hollywood: "Don't call us, we'll call you." Each girl is aware that the stakes are high, the dream is very close and that only one of them will emerge as the hottest new actress in Hollywood - "The Starlet."

The Starlet is from Next Entertainment Studios in association with Telepictures Productions with executive producers Mike Fleiss (The Bachelor, The Bachelorette), Jamie Kennedy (The Jamie Kennedy Experiment, Malibu's Most Wanted) and co-executive producers Ellen Rapoport (co-author of the book "Wannabes"), Josh Etting (The Jamie Kennedy Experiment) and Scott Einziger ("The Amazing Race 2 & 3," The Howard Stern Show). [/quote:bd43b1f49d]

Some of these girls have such egos on them and was happy to see the one with the biggest ego "I'm so much better any everyone else here", leave on the first show.

The catchphrase "Don't call us, we'll call you" is really corny coming out of Fay Dunaway.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 35.00
Bank: 1,418.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:07 am
[quote:8437f515e3="aussiegirl"]The Starlet started tonight on Arena (Foxtel) at 9.30pm and already I'm hooked.[/quote:8437f515e3]

I caught this at about 9.45pm and wondered if it was a new show or a few weeks in, so I'm glad it's just started. :D

The girl who won the suite for the night.. I can't remember her name, but she had dark hair in a bob - she's the only one who I thought really stood out as probably having the goods. I thought she was fantastic doing the 'Smallville' screen test... and her "you work here, and you work for ME" audition thingy was really good too.

[quote:8437f515e3]The catchphrase "Don't call us, we'll call you" is really corny coming out of Fay Dunaway.[/quote:8437f515e3]

Haha, yeah it was painful to watch the second time Faye said it at the end of the show.. she almost looked like she wanted to cringe at how corny it is!! :lol: :lol:

Oh, and I couldn't believe her sticking up for Little-Miss-Attitude!!! That girl will never make it anywhere unless she has a personality transplant. ;)

I've highlighted the show in my tvguide for next week, now I just have to remember it's on!! :D
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 0.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:55 am
I saw the girl blubbering about being so poor her Christmas presents came from the Salvos and she wanted to win this 'to be known' and all the other girls were blubbering along with her story as well.

That little bit was too painful for me to want to watch anymore but no doubt I'll tune in again to be tortured :roll:

Hollywood Walk of Fame Star
Cash on hand: 10.00
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:34 am
[quote:9ab507083e="Jacqui"]I saw the girl blubbering about being so poor her Christmas presents came from the Salvos and she wanted to win this 'to be known' and all the other girls were blubbering along with her story as well.

That little bit was too painful for me to want to watch anymore but no doubt I'll tune in again to be tortured :roll:[/quote:9ab507083e]

That's kinda taken a bit out of context Jacqui. It was an exercise in emotion although I do agree, she was way over the top.

I know how we get all the guys to tune in next week ... they have a kiss between the girls in the spa.

I love the comment of one girl along the lines of the fact that she never expected her first ever kiss to be with a girl.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:45 pm
I know it was out of context, it was all I saw as I was flicking by.

It just irratated me that she wanted to win for fame, if her childhood was such a struggle then surely a bit of financial security would have been a more realistic reason.

That just made the show seem a bit pathetic but as I said, I'll no doubt give it another watch all the way through, afterall it can't be as bad as Manhunt!!
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 35.00
Bank: 1,418.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:03 pm
That bit must've been nearer the start of the show, was it? I think I missed it. I'll have to try and catch a repeat of it before next week rolls around.
Hollywood Extra
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:35 pm
[quote:8db26cd5b1="Jacqui"]I know it was out of context, it was all I saw as I was flicking by.

It just irratated me that she wanted to win for fame, if her childhood was such a struggle then surely a bit of financial security would have been a more realistic reason.

That just made the show seem a bit pathetic but as I said, I'll no doubt give it another watch all the way through, afterall it can't be as bad as Manhunt!![/quote:8db26cd5b1]

the girl who said that is my favourite in the show, but when she said it was a bit miffed about it thinking wouldnt your reason to get your mum a house or make her proud fame seems just so stupid, she showed her age (18?) at that point

i thought it was a pretty interesting show i felt a bit sorry for the short haired girl because ive had that happen before where your trying to defend yourself and get seen as being arrogant, and then you try and defend yourself more and your rude... ive learnt just to shut up :D
Home and Away Star
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:14 pm
I'm actually going to chime in on Michellynne's side here (ok, I don't think that's the right spelling, but Michelle-Lynne is her name) because I thought what she meant was that she wanted to do the show for exposure, to become a familiar face to casting directors and audiences, so in future auditions she has more of a chance. More of an "I don't expect to win, but this will be good for me in the long run" with "and that will help financially" unsaid.

Mia, the girl you are thinking of is Mercedes. I... missed the first half hour and stayed up to watch it again ;)

Grin. I know how "attitude girl" felt, her name's Courtney, as well, with wanting to defend herself to the panel, but she needed to shut it, big time.

Did anyone else crack up over the whole Donna Debate? The guy (Todd? Paul? Larry? I've not a clue <G>) was all, "No! Donna stays!"

Vivaca A Fox (from memory): You just wanna see that girl on a runway! Sister-girl couldn't act her way out of a box!!

Grin.
Rock & Roll: " It sure beats digging ditches, or a sharp stick in the eye, or any kind of real work, in an office, where no one claps for you." --Paul Mirkovich, Rock Star House Band
Home and Away Star
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:58 pm
Hi, me again, I just wanted to let you guys know, just in case - this is looooooong over in the US, they're casting the second series. If you go to imdb.com looking for pictures of the girls in it?

It'll tell you who won. I found this out about an hour after I posted here, looking to explain the show to a mate. If you're not wanting to spoil yourself? Don't go playing on the internet.

And no, I'm certainly not telling. <g>
Rock & Roll: " It sure beats digging ditches, or a sharp stick in the eye, or any kind of real work, in an office, where no one claps for you." --Paul Mirkovich, Rock Star House Band
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:47 am
Thanks for the warning, Wen.
Next

Return to Reality TV