Wow, What A Great Movie!

pixel wrangler
Cash on hand: 3,193.50
Bank: 0.00
Mood: studious
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:25 pm
[quote:cfc93b66d7="bane"]Did you ever see a movie that for whatever reason really shocked you because it so much better than you expected? [/quote:cfc93b66d7]

Two movies come to mind immediately for me.

[b:cfc93b66d7]Galaxy Quest[/b:cfc93b66d7] - I only saw 15 second trailers of this film that didn't really give much away. I went & saw it at the cinema, expecting a most likely cheesy movie with a few giggles maybe.
Not just myself, but every person in the busy Saturday night cinema were howling with laughter.
It was a film that really surprised me with how good it was. :D

[b:cfc93b66d7]The Bourne Identity[/b:cfc93b66d7] - I had read the Bourne books, watched the original 80's miniseries & had worries about how Matt Damon (who I couldn't forget as the Talented Mr Ripley) was going to pull off the spy genre. I absolutely loved the movie & the subsequent sequel. Another fantastic surprise 8)
Daytime Soap Star
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:24 pm
I wasn't putting much faith in Jurassic Park III, but it really surprised me. In many ways it was on par with the first. I felt after the technologically over the top Lost World they needed something fresh.
End Of Days really had me hoping it wasn't a couple of hours of preachy garbage, but I was pleasantly surprised as it turned out to be a terrific supernatural thriller and was undeniably Arnie's best performance in years!
Fear of blood ultimately leads to fear of the flesh...
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:01 am
So many people mentioned Garden State, but I knew it was going to be good. I enjoyed that as much as I anticipated.

Movies that I have significantly enjoyed much more than I expected:

[b:a9ffc41aac]Star Wars: Episode 3[/b:a9ffc41aac]
Blown away by how good this was. Not in the sense of it being well directed or great dialogue, but the emotion in the final key scenes and the way things just wrapped up really hit home.
Still not a great movie, and a series that is completely overrated IMO, but a fitting way to end the series once and for all in film.

[b:a9ffc41aac]Kill Bill Vol 1.[/b:a9ffc41aac]
I'm not a fan of samurai, japanese flicks. And even though this was a Tarrantino movie, I still didn't feel the need to watch this.
However, after all the rave and talk on it, I rented Vol 1 and absolutly loved it! Went and saw Vol 2 the very next week when it was released.

[b:a9ffc41aac]Lost in Translation[/b:a9ffc41aac]
Wasn't a fan of The Virgin Suicides, Sofia Coppola's first directorial effort, so didn't rush out and see this. Then on mook-e's reccomendation, I thought I should give it a shot. In fact, I did something I had never done before - bought a movie before I even watched it! :shock:
It was a gamble, but it turned out to be one of my favourite movies ever. Definatly so much better than I thought it would be.

[b:a9ffc41aac]House of Wax[/b:a9ffc41aac]
Okay, it was nothing brilliant, but you have seen one teen horror you have seen them all? I dont know why I enjoyed this, but sometimes you're in the right mood and a guilty pleasure like this comes along at the right time and you just lap it up.

Definate others:
Saw
Enemy at the Gates - thanks ski_nutta
Underworld
Resident Evil

Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:55 am
[quote:e72f8903c5="Bataeu"]I would say that The Devil's Rejects had that effect on me. I expected something different, but was pleased with what I saw. So much that I saw it twice in the cinema, and am thinking about seeing it again...[/quote:e72f8903c5]
That was some sick crap!
Cash on hand: 882.50
Bank: 3,905,233.20
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:58 pm
I saw In Her Shoes on saturday night with my girlfriend - and i was actually suprised - i really enjoyed it - so much so that i gave it 4 stars :P
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:47 pm
I saw Gone With The Wind all of yesterday (it's a long one!), and I have to say I am [i:c6ba52f5d9]incredibly[/i:c6ba52f5d9] impressed.
Seriously, one of the greatest films I've ever seen. I was surprised at how drastic is changed from sugar-sweet plumbs country to death and destruction. It reminded me of 'The Color Purple'.
I recommend this movie to EVERYONE.

So yeah, that's a 'Wow' movie for me.
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:05 pm
Hostel most recently. I hated Cabin Fever (perhaps I read it wrong) so wasn't too keen on seeing this, even with QT backing it. Coupled with some bad reviews here, it just didn't grab me.

Anyway, we ended up seeing it with friends and I loved it! Funniest stuff I have seen in ages. A big surprise.

Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:14 pm
Ferris Buellers Day Off-
I expected it to be a crappy movie that mum picked up at video easy, but really, it was great! It kept me and my brother laughing and was just an all round really good movie.

Saw-
Amazing. The first real horror movie I have ever watched and I thought it was just amazing. I pondered it for ages afterwoods, just thinking about it and all the twists.
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:02 pm
Millions
Signs
The Descent
The Proposition
Election-I really, [i:5d3969c7af]really[/i:5d3969c7af] don't like Reese Witherspoon, so I was ill-prepared for how great this film was.
Enemy at the Gates
15 Minutes
Dancer in the Dark
Pitch Black
Wallace and Gromit: Curse of Were-Rabbit-I was expecting to be as disappointed with this as I was with Chicken Run
Show Me Love- Had never heard of it.
Lost In Translation- Didn't care for Virgin Suicides; really liked this though.
Mystic River- Clint Eastwood had done nothing before this (that I had seen) to suggest he was capable of making a film I'd find interesting. Robbed of an Oscar this film, I thought, by bloody LOTR:ROTK.
King Kong (1933)
Rififi
Sunset Boulevard

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 7.50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:19 pm
Umm...
Most Disney movies
Moulin Rouge
Titanic
One Fine Day
Ice Age