Wow, What A Great Movie!

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:48 am
Did you ever see a movie that for whatever reason really shocked you because it so much better than you expected? :D Some movies you go into or sit down to expecting some level of quality, but often you'll see one that might completely enthrall you.

Two examples I can think of are [i:991b6d1643]National Treasure[/i:991b6d1643] and [i:991b6d1643]Million Dollar Baby[/i:991b6d1643]. Both of these movies seemed to move fairly quickly from cinema to DVD which doesn't usually bode well for it. However, upon seeing each of them, I can say I thought they were terrific!

National Treasure was a fun American perspective on the Free Masons and National archives, while Million Dollar Baby was an extremely sad and well written drama about the life of a poor girl turned pro boxer - I don't know if it deserved the best picture award the Oscars, but it did definately deserve at least a nomination.

Both suprised me as I wasn't expecting much form either. Anyone else have simliar experiences?
Semper Fidelis
Cash on hand: 882.50
Bank: 3,905,233.20
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:53 am
I felt the same about National Treasure bane - the film didn't interest me i didn't even want to get it out to rent on dvd - but i went to a friends place and he had it so we watched it and i did really enjoy it.

Another one i knew would be good but the way i felt when watching it was just WOW BEING Garden State. And I really really really loved Finding Neverland which i watched on saturday it was fantastic.

And Terminator 2 - being my favourite movie WOW's me all the time.
Cash on hand: 57.50
Bank: 2,585,855.90
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:25 am
Yeah National Treasures was a great movie, I never thought it would be that good.

I never watched gone in 60 seconds before and i watched it the other day and i was like yet another great movie. There's a few movies out there that will just leave you speechless
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Please Check out my blog thank you :) http://heartbloodbound.wordpress.com/
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:32 am
I would say that The Devil's Rejects had that effect on me. I expected something different, but was pleased with what I saw. So much that I saw it twice in the cinema, and am thinking about seeing it again...

Lola Rennt was another film like that. I saw that one four times at the movies. I loved it.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:51 am
[i:0f6ba64a23]The Forgotten[/i:0f6ba64a23]. I thought it was going to be this STUPID conspiracy movie which ivolved FBI and some guy who knew too much....... but WOW!

Also (and I lol at this now) [i:0f6ba64a23]Titanic[/i:0f6ba64a23]. I went to see it in 1997 and was prepared ot be bored to death- but a month later Mum and I went to see it again!!

Logie Winner
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:28 am
I totally agree with Garden State and National Treasure. Both really surprised me and I'd watch them again in a second. I was really proud of Zach Braff for achieving his dream of making his film. It was really touching to watch the behind the scenes and Zach talking about how he's been working for so many years on this film, starting in college.

One big one for me is Enemy At The Gates. It blew me away with how great the story was and the incredible characters, none of whom were perfect, none of whom were American (characters, not actors) and the scenic shots were brilliant. I've watched it several times and recommend it to anyone who asks. I'm not a supporter of war films, as they generally (not all, but a lot) are American and glorify war, the people and ignore it's real victims. Enemy at the Gates on the other hand is not like that at all. People die, some of them you feel devistated, but that's war. It's also very accurate historically too, and based on an actual Russian. Not everyone will love it as much as I do, but it's definetly worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Oh, and Jude Law is in it... pre big star days. :)
ER Surgeon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:32 am
totally agree with million dollar baby. it was just a random decision we make to see it, and its one of the best i've ever seen. cried so damn hard!

i'd also say the matrix. (the first one). when no one knew what to expect. it was the crazy, 'deep' movie that went where no movie had ever gone for me.... good times...

they're the two i can think of at present.
Logie Winner
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:03 pm
wow, the notebook and intial d - what a great tearjeaker movie!
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:24 pm
Moulin Rouge. I don't know why, but it absolutely wowed me the 1st time I saw it :D
[img44]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/langlece/McPerfect-3.jpg[/img44]
Next

Return to General Movie Discussion