SEVEN

Home and Away Star
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:42 pm
Found this article that really shows how backward the guys who run the networks are, and how channel 7's head thinks there are only a handful of people who download shows and it doesnt affect their audience!!!

http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/a ... 02891.html

"The boss of channel Seven, David Leckie, was asked if he was worried about people downloading programs from the internet because they can't get what they want from mainstream TV. He said this: "OK, the world's gonna fragment, we know that, but have you seen how hard it is right now to download anything? In five, ten, 15 years nobody knows, but it's not affecting our audience, I can guarantee that. And the two or three people, I'm sure they've downloaded and I'm sure they're having fantastic fun talking about Desperate Housewives but you know what? It's not really affecting our audiences. We've got to get real on this: free tv is the big deal and you guys in newspapers have got far more challenges than we do."

What planet are these guys from? only 3 people downloading shows? They have obviously never been to many forums where there are as many people talking about the latest shows from the US an the ones who watch the shows here. Its this sort of complete arrogance that is going to hurt their ratings more and more over the years unless they realise that people want tv shows at convenient times for them and close to teh US airdate

idiots

OK im getting carried away, what does everyone else think?
ER Surgeon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:51 pm
i wouldn't consider myself totally IT savvy, but over time it's definitely become HEAPS easier. They are so stupd to not be opening their eyes to fact that people can go to other sources. If they don't have the same numbers watching their shows, then their advertisers will fall through.

it's so ridiculous - i wouldn't even download if it were remotely close to US screenings.

i don't agree with the not affecting them thing. i mean, the three shows i watch religiously: lost, alias and grey's are so interrupted by ads etc (esp lost) and very slow running that i'm not inlcined to watch them again. Desp housewives ads are every 2 seconds, and so obviously women focussed it irritates me.

i think they're blind. and stupid.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 3,674.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:54 pm
2 or 3 people that download?!?

I guess Channel 7 really doesn't read these forums! :lol:

[quote:7056d9ab60]"And maybe you do shift programs but there's no point in trying to ram down viewers throats programming that they arguably don't want to see. So we put them on with the best will in the world but if they don't work then we've got to move them to provide the best programming that they do want. And I think that's a very good sign."[/quote:7056d9ab60]

That is the funniest quote in there I think.

At least Channel 10 didn't say it! :lol:
Cash on hand: 12,680.00
Bank: 887,231.30
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:33 pm
i don't think there is a massive amount of people who download shows, no one i know outside of the internet downloads shows and certainly not many older people.

But i guess the troubling thing should be the most advertising freindly demographic is the one downloading shows the most.

TV Watcher
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:41 pm
[quote:cd620a7c48="VMars"]i don't think there is a massive amount of people who download shows, no one i know outside of the internet downloads shows and certainly not many older people.

But i guess the troubling thing should be the most advertising freindly demographic is the one downloading shows the most.[/quote:cd620a7c48]

hmmmmm where do I start, being called an old folk is quite irksome, as if I dont know about computers or the net

Whilst it may be correct that not a lot of people dont download programmes to Australia, UK figures tell me differently, they put us 2nd (Desperate Housewives [img:cd620a7c48]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-001.gif[/img:cd620a7c48]) at No. 1, my shows the Stargates at number 4) on the download list in the world.

Be that as it may, I dont download because I run a website and if I did I would get a nasty letter from MGM/Sony threatening to drag me through the courts

I do however have a person or persons, who shall remain nameless, who send me copies of SG1 and Atlantis and I, in turn, send out maybe $100.00 worth by aussie post and the recipients do the same, $1.65 each little parcel.

Then when I get the DVD's in March from, well that doesnt matter somebody may be listening :lol: or reading, they also get copied and go to folks I know and call friend, and you know who you are, and all that pretty much keeps me poor

So, in summary, I have to say that Mr Leckie has no idea what is going on around him, and no I dont watch the Stargates on TV after I have seen the pirated copy or the DVD.

It really doesnt bother me that Leckie thinks like that, because ever since I joined these forum, what 5 maybe 6 or heaven forbid 7 years ago I have always said the ratings system in this country doesnt work and people like Leckie believe they work because
he and Chisolm and their ilk own them and call them AusTam

Lastly I must say if I didnt have a website and risk it by downloading stuff, I would be getting as much stuff as I could of the shows that I love, and Im only a spring rooster at 61 years

So the older folk not downloading is crap, the older members around these forums know my story and my connection with the internet (started in 1975, first modem Netcomm 12bps) oh hell, I was only 30 years then, whew time flies..... :lol:

Cheers

lij

And I have to ask: When is Smallville coming back? er sorry Ive seen up to S5 e1 and e2 all downloaded - *sigh* such a shame

I really only came back to have a say in this thread......
I told you so years ago, the TV bosses are living in a dreamworld, the ratings thing in aus doesn't work. They think it works because they own it, 3000 set top boxes will never in their wildest dream estimate what 14 million people are watching, and when we are watching - never!
Cash on hand: 12,680.00
Bank: 887,231.30
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:49 pm
I didn't imply that NO old people downlaod shows, but they certainly don't represent the majority, and by older people i am refering to the older people who don't use or have no desrie to use computers, which i am sorry to say is more common then us who love comps would believe. I personally cant live without my comp :)
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 40,194.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:59 pm
Am I the only person who doesn't watch a show on normal TV after downloading it anyway? :eh:
Modest to the top.
Home and Away Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:06 pm
[quote:bf88f0511f="Raven"]Am I the only person who doesn't watch a show on normal TV after downloading it anyway? :eh:[/quote:bf88f0511f]

No, i also wouldnt bother with watching it on normal tv if ive dl'ed it, i mean why bother watching a worse quality version with commercials when u can watch the good one. Ive seen every Veronica Mars ep and am excited that its gonna be on ten not so ill watch it again but just so i might be able to talk to more people about the fantastic show
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,356.30
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:18 pm
Yes alot of people do download TV shows but half of them are downloading them after seeing the series or once the show has been axed so its not affecting the ratings!
Also maybe those who are downloading episodes also wath it on TV aswell?
OR a) the 7 boss is trying to hide it from us
and b) maybe the ratings are actually right and people are still watching their favourite TV shows on TV!
Next

Return to TV Ratings and Programming