ELEVEN

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:58 am
TEN to launch new channel

The TEN Network will launch a new digital channel in 2010, reports the Courier Mail.

A third digital channel will launch sometime in the next 12 months, it reports.

Commercial networks are currently allowed two SD channels and one HD channel. Currently TEN has TEN, ONE HD and ONE SD which retransmits the feed from the 24 hour sports channel. But as GO! and 7TWO offer entertainment formats they potentially erode TEN’s market share. And as half the country is now on digital it makes the ONE SD channel less viable -except for viewers who have a standard digital rather than an high definition, of course.

It would also presume TEN is eyeing a makeover of its second SD channel rather than ONE HD itself. Many viewers are still lamenting the loss of key entertainment formats in high definition by TEN: MasterChef, So You Think You Can Dance, Rove, Neighbours, Australian Idol, Merlin and more. When TEN opted for high definition sports, it did so at the expense of its other brands.

TEN made the announcement of the new digital channel at its 2010 Program Launch last night in Brisbane.

It also announced a new Junior MasterChef to follow MasterChef next year. This idea has been floated by Programmer David Mott before.

He told TV Tonight in July, “We might do a professionals version or a teen version. We’ll always do one other shorter run but it might not be celebrities.”

TEN also confirmed The 7PM Project would run through summer and into the new year (hopefully with a few tweaks?).

TEN rolls its Program Launch into Melbourne tonight and Sydney tomorrow.

So what would you like to see on a new digital channel?

Source: Courier Mail

Source: TV Tonight

This is exactly what i expected but it seems it will leave ONE viewers a HD only channel. I wonder what they will put on there. Teen shows? Shows for the older people? Lets start the ideas rolling.
Last edited by greysfan on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,279,451.00
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:24 pm
Why would it leave ONE as HD only? Ten will be able to have 3 SD channels therefore there will be:

10SD
ONEHD
ONESD
NEW10SD

-Ben
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 2,060.40
Bank: 0.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:32 pm
Hopefully something along the lines of what 7TWO will be, and not along the lines of GO!, these repeats of old cartoons and shows from years and years ago. It's really bland in my opinion, there is no variety within the variety.

As for this new MasterChef format to come on later next year, will be interesting now i think about it. I'll be interested in how the judges would treat teen cooks..brutal honesty=great television! Because i can't see George,Gary and Matt being all sweet and nice just because these contestants would be young.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:54 pm
Does this mean Smallville will be back?

It better be return :mrgreen:
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 247.50
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:23 pm
Wow - there's going to be a smorgasboard of content. Deciding what to watch, knowing what's on when and recording conflicts are about to get messy.

I do wonder what Ten would put on another channel though. They seem to struggle to fill their current channel, filling it with endless [i:4648c66de3]Simpsons[/i:4648c66de3] and the Reality TV show flavour of the month.
I may be a geek, but it's one of my endearing qualities.
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 3,413.00
Bank: 49,423.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:30 pm
I know this may not be popular with many, but shows like Big Brother that could draw viewers to a secondary channel could find themselves with a second life. I've always said that BB *could* be back on a second channel if Ten was to program one that it would fit into.

(The same sorta thing has happened in the UK with BB moved from Channel 4 to E4 for the Celebrity hijack version.) - Edited as I had the wrong info.

It sorta makes sense... use something that rated "OK" on the main channel on a secondary as a base with which to draw others in...
Cash on hand: 210.00
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Oh the day when the alternative channels outrate the normal ones. Can't wait.
Bring it on, really if they hadn't announced this they'd look stupid. GO! is really quite a surprise powerhouse, I guess Australia forgot that young people like to watch young things. 7TWO also looks like it's set for huge popularity.
The new TEN channel should have the following in prime-time: Smallville, One Tree Hill, The Office (7pm weeknights!!), Parks & Recreation, Dexter, Nurse Jackie, The Simpsons (I can't get enough of repeats, never have never will get sick of them), Rove, and many more new programs.
Repeats wise, why not Raymond, Rules of Engagement, Veronica Mars, etc.
Raise a glass to mend all the broken hearts of all my wrecked up friends.
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,279,451.00
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:00 pm
[quote:9e56c52fef="Sloaney"]I know this may not be popular with many, but shows like Big Brother that could draw viewers to a secondary channel could find themselves with a second life. I've always said that BB *could* be back on a second channel if Ten was to program one that it would fit into.

(The same sorta thing has happened in the UK with BB moved from Channel 4 to E4 for the Celebrity hijack version.) - Edited as I had the wrong info.

It sorta makes sense... use something that rated "OK" on the main channel on a secondary as a base with which to draw others in...[/quote:9e56c52fef]

Big Brother is far too expensive to make, I can't see it being on a second channel for a few years unless they go completely budget.

-Ben
Cash on hand: 17,398.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:07 pm
great news, the channel should start in February when ratings season starts.

hopefully it'll be a general entertainment channel like GO and 7TWO!!
Cash on hand: 9,840.30
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:36 pm
Yes finally, Ten, Way to go. A major improvemenb for those of us less than fussed with 24 Hr Sports on One HD... :D
Next

Return to TV Ratings and Programming