The PayTV Thread

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:21 am
TV Tonight wrote:Airdate: Live to Dance

FOX8 will air the US series of Live to Dance, Paula Abdul’s new talent show next month.

The show includes a big break for Andrew Gunsberg as its host. The US version is based on a British format, Got to Dance.

The series will premiere in Australia on Wednesday, January 19, at 8.30pm which is 2 weeks after is US debut. FOX8 is also planning for an Aussie version of Got to Dance, to be produced by Shine Australia for mid 2011 (go with the US title guys, it will be better known?).

The biggest dance competition in the US is about to begin. Live to Dance, hosted by former Channel [V] and Australian Idol host Andrew Günsberg, on FOX8 in HD.

In the US, industry speculation suggests Live to Dance will be the breakthrough reality series of 2011 and rival all other talent based reality series when it premieres there on January 4: two weeks ahead of its biggest rival American Idol, which is now in its tenth season and will also premiere hot off the satellite and exclusively on FOX8HD, from Thursday, January 20 at 7.30pm.

<snip>
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:57 pm
For those iCarly fans out there the new series is coming in February

TV Tonight wrote:Returning: iCarly

A new season of iCarly starring Miranda Cosgrove comes to Nickelodeon in February.

“iGot a Hot Room” airs on Tuesday February 1 at 5.30pm.

It aired in the US in June.
<snip>

TV Tonight wrote:Airdate: Critics’ Choice Movie Awards

For the first time on Aussie TV, StarPics will air a live broadcast of The Critics’ Choice Movie Awards, an event presented annually by America’s Broadcast Film Critics Association.

Australian actors Geoffrey Rush, Nicole Kidman, Kodi Smit-McPhee and Jacki Weaver have all received acting nominations.

Presented by the 250 members of the Broadcast Film Critics Association, the 16th Annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards will be held at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles.

Considered to be the first of the major Hollywood award shows of the season, the STARPICS broadcast is the first time this influential award show has been made available to International audiences.

The comprehensive broadcast coverage of the awards on STARPICS starts with the glitz and glamour of the Red Carpet Special Live at 12.30pm (AEDT) and followed by the broadcast of the prestigious 16th Annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards ceremony from 1.00pm (AEDT).

The exclusive broadcast will allow Australian Subscription TV audiences to rally behind our homegrown talent and celebrate their outstanding performances in a number of quality films released in 2010. A perennial award nominee Nicole Kidman is in the running for the Best Actress award for her portrayal of a grieving mother in RABBIT HOLE with Jacki Weaver nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role as malevolent matriarch in the Australian crime drama ANIMAL KINGDOM.

Teenager Kodi Smit-McPhee is nominated in the Best Young Actor or Actress category for his role in the vampire tale LET ME IN with Geoffrey Rush receiving a Best Supporting Actor nomination for the British period drama THE KING’S SPEECH.

The broadcast of the 16th Annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards continues STARPICS coverage of the Hollywood award season and will culminate with the live broadcast of the 83rd ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS(r) on Monday 28 February.

The Critics’ Choice Movie Awards Red Carpet Special airs live Saturday 15 January, 12.30pm followed by The 16th Annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards at 1pm.

While on the topic of PayTV i wonder if Foxtel is going to try and nab the rights to US X Factor. I would love to see it when it starts in September. I know its a while off yet but i am hoping that one of the networks pick it up.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:38 pm
Its Britains turn to be on the top model circuit, well shown here in Australia anyway

TV Tonight wrote:Airdate: Britain’s Next Top Model

Models, models everywhere with Britain’s Next Top Model to debut on FOX8 later this month, hosted by our very own supermodel Elle Macpherson.

This is the 6th season of the show, and like Sarah Murdoch, Macpherson also acts as Executive Producer.

It aired in the UK last July.

The 45-year-old, nicknamed The Body, will preside over the sixth series of Britain’s hit reality show, in which 25 aspiring models compete for a modelling contract. The Australian model will also serve as an executive producer on the series, a spin-off of the runway hit America’s Next Top Model, created and hosted by Tyra Banks.

In a statement announcing her new role, Macpherson said: “I am really enthusiastic and motivated to work with the team of Britain’s Next Top Model.

“We are looking forward to finding the face that can represent the next generation.”

Casting their critical eye over the contestants’ progress, and making and breaking dreams along the way, are a fresh panel of judges – acclaimed designer Julien Macdonald, celebrated stylist Grace Woodward and leading male model Charley Speed.

In a first for the British version, during the live finale the judges will put the deciding vote into the hands of the viewers who will select the model they think deserves to win the top fashion prize.

The winner will walk away with a contract with Models 1, a cover spread with Company and a campaign with Revlon.

It premieres Tuesday January 25 at 7.30pm.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:18 pm
Rove makes a TV Comeback on Foxtel. All i will say is good luck to him. Being in the US to shoot the show is going to be a tough gig but i recon his first interview has to be with Chelsea Lately.

TV Tonight wrote:Rove in TV comeback with Foxtel

Rove McManus is set to make a comeback to Australian television.

The former TEN host has signed a deal with Foxtel.

He will host a one on one style interview show from Los Angeles.

McManus has been largely based in the US since ending his long-running variety show on TEN in 2009.

His last television project, Say It Now, a talk show co-hosted with Valerie Bertinelli didn’t get past the Pilot stage with CBS.

Reality Show Contestant
Cash on hand: 100.00
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:57 pm
There's a new Disney Channel Series called Shake It Up that started in the US back in November to Premiere here on February 25 at 6:00p.m.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:29 pm
Lifestyle goes HD and also brings us a new channel called Lifestyle Home. Oh BTW Austar pissed off at the rise in prices. WTF! They only went up a couple of months ago and now you slugging us more for the same thing! Not happy at all!

I guess the one good thing here is it is trueHD unlike the FTA which are broadcasting the lower HD signal

TV Tonight wrote:Lifestyle HD from March 1st

Joining the previously announced new LifeStyle HOME, on Tuesday March 1st will be LifeStyle HD, a high definition simulcast of the LifeStyle Channel.

They join XYZnetworks channels The LifeStyle Channel, LifeStyle FOOD and LifeStyle YOU channels offering home and property entertainment. LifeStyle HOME looks at everything from home makeovers to investments; from renovation to relaxing in the garden; property dreams to property nightmares.

Nicole Sheffield, General Manager, LifeStyle Channels said, “Property is The LifeStyle Channel’s most popular genre and we’re so excited to be bringing it to our viewers 24/7. There is so much great property content from around the world that we haven’t had the capacity to show before, it now has the perfect home on LifeStyle HOME.
“The LifeStyle Channel has many wonderful programs available in HD and we’re delighted to now offer our viewers the ability to view the entire channel in beautiful HD. The addition of LifeStyle HD and LifeStyle HOME is part of our ongoing commitment to lead the industry in lifestyle programming.”

Titles will include The Outdoor Room with Jamie Durie, Mark Burnett’s Design Star, May The Best House Win and The Vanilla Ice Project.

Programs from The LifeStyle Channel such as Colin & Justin’s Home Heist, Property Virgins and Axe The Agent will also appear on the new channel.

Programs from the former How To Channel, including A Place in The Sun, Homes Under The Hammer, Holmes On Homes will now be seen on LifeStyle HOME.
An interstitial series of one minute HOME hints will be produced for the channel.

LifeStyle HOME will launch with stripped content weekdays allowing viewers to become familiar with the new channel schedule. On weekends, brand new series’ will premiere in primetime, with catch ups to allow non-weekday viewers a second chance to see key programs.

LifeStyle HOME (Channel 119) and LifeStyle HD (Channel 216) premiere on March 1, 2011 on Foxtel and Austar.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 pm
Foxtel creeps closer to Austar takeover. If it happens then I'll be extremely happy. However i wonder if this does happen, will prices go up?

TV Tonight wrote:Report: Foxtel takeover bid for Austar moves closer

The Australian Financial Review reports that Telstra and Consolidated Media Holdings have agreed in principle for pay TV company Foxtel to make a $2 billion takeover bid for regional Pay TV provider Austar.

A merger would give Telstra, News Corp and Consolidated Media a near-monopoly on the pay TV industry, which would need to be reviewed by the ACCC.

“The three owners have agreed in principle, but there is no firm approval for a firm bid by Foxtel,” one source said.

Austar said it had not received a proposal for a takeover by Foxtel but talks had taken place.

“No assurance can be given that those discussions will lead to a proposal being put to Austar or its shareholders,” said Austar in a statement today.
Industry have been whispering about possible takeover plans for some time.

Foxtel CEO Kim Williams addressed the Australian Broadcasting Summit this morning.

“It’s speculative and we don’t comment on speculative commentary,” he said.

“I have nothing to say and the most interesting thing in all of the comments is that none of them are sourced to Foxtel.”

Sports Presenter
Cash on hand: 302.50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:53 pm
Geez another possible price increase? I already pay $85 a month, this includes base package, sports and mystar HD box. I would still have it though, I love my rugby and golf and the mystar is worth it, though my prime 7's have gone walkabout, apparently a signal strength issue that I need to figure out how to fix.
Cash on hand: 7,595.60
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:22 pm
I hope that Austar gets taken over we had to wait MONTHS before we got speed tv because Austar are a bunch of tightwads. :x
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:04 pm
redunderthebed wrote:I hope that Austar gets taken over we had to wait MONTHS before we got speed tv because Austar are a bunch of tightwads. :x

I am with you Red however Austar offers one thing Foxtel doesn't and thats a FTA tuner in the box.

Lifestyle You is bringing the pretty successful US series to our shores.

TV Tonight wrote:Wife Swap Australia to begin production

Earlier this week LifeStyle YOU today announced it had commissioned Shine Australia to produce a local version of Wife Swap, where two wives from radically different families swap places for a week.

Nicole Sheffield, General Manager, LifeStyle Channels, said: “LifeStyle Channels have brought the most amazing lifestyle formats to Australia. We know that Wife Swap Australia, with its mirror on Australian domestic lives, will further expand on that. We have a strong hold on property, makeover and food productions, and this series moves us into the next evolution of lifestyle content in this country – life change.

“As the home of all Wife Swap UK and US series’ it is well known by our viewers – and Aussies will take it to a whole new level. From white collar privileged households to domestic neat freaks and self described supernannies – no parenting, family, diet, racial or socio economic stone will go unturned. We’ll see Australian families through fresh eyes, it will be fascinating and heart-warming viewing.” .

Shine Australia will begin production on the 10-part one-hour series immediately for premiere on LifeStyle YOU in early 2012.
PreviousNext

Return to TV Ratings and Programming