All The Same, One Different

Isn't it about time you relaxed and had some fun?
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 30,562.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 am
I guess that's close enough.
JA = 6'1"
Others = 6'4"

Even though I thought this was a pretty lame effort, the info is dead easy to find (and inspired by an imdb list).

Take it away Fringedweller - let's see if you can come up with a "good" puzzle. :)
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:53 pm
Thanks, Cleo.
I'll let anyone who remembers the scoring rules update them.

This may be lame too, but it is certainly a curly one:

Animal Farm / Brave New World / Island / 1984
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 547,683.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:26 am
Fringedweller wrote:Thanks, Cleo.

Dystopic Sci-Fi stories which explore a utopian society, future society, with totalitarian outcomes?

Hmmm, Orwell wrote Animal Farm and 1984 and Aldous Huxley, Brave New World and Island. But the point of difference is 'the odd one out,' right? So, one being distinctly different from the rest...

I guess the odd one out is Animal Farm then? The rest being set in the future and about utopic/dystopic future society, while Animal Farm explores marxist revolution, allegorical to the Revolution in Russia? And ofcourse, utilising an 'Animal Farm' to play this out, instead of humans and set in a contemporary setting, father than a speculative future?

BTW Love this kind of work - I've seen the film to 1984 and Animal Farm too long ago. Would love to read all these books too - After viewing the film, and learning more about Stalin-era Russian at Uni - I'm sure keen to read it!
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:51 am
Cellar Door wrote:
Fringedweller wrote:Thanks, Cleo.

Dystopic Sci-Fi stories which explore a utopian society ...

I guess the odd one out is Animal Farm then? The rest being set in the future and about utopic/dystopic future society, while Animal Farm explores marxist revolution, allegorical to the Revolution in Russia? And ofcourse, utilising an 'Animal Farm' to play this out, instead of humans and set in a contemporary setting, father than a speculative future?

Point for what they have in common. The differences are well spotted too, but not what I had in mind. That's the curly part. It would be difficult to guess the difference without knowing not just the general content of each novel, but the tone as well. The tone. Big hint.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Cash on hand: 30,562.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 am
Cellar Door wrote: Would love to read all these books too - After viewing the film, and learning more about Stalin-era Russian at Uni - I'm sure keen to read it!

You haven't read them? We did Animal Farm and 1984 for HSC - back in those days 1984 was still way in the future! :P
Gotta say they were probably the best books we studied (especially when compared to the excruciating Tess of the Dumbyvilles and Chaucer - ugh) .
Previous

Return to Jokes/Games