Signature Competition #6 : The Winners

Isn't it about time you relaxed and had some fun?
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 167.00
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:28 am

The 6th Signature Competition

The Final Round Theme : Signature Competition

The scores for the penultimate round will be posted at 7pm tonight.

At 7.30pm tonight I will then post the final round comments/scores and announce the overall winner.

And just because I can be a tease ... at the end of the penultimate round there was 1.5 points between 1st and 2nd place and 0.5 points between 2nd and 3rd place.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:48 pm

Round Seven Theme : Actor/Actress

Here are the comments and scores for the penultimate round.

Spoiler: show
ncfan

Jayel

I really like Nicholas Cage too. A Nice clean sig. I'd have probably centered the text myself, but that's a personal choice. I like the font and the pictures are really good.

Meets Criteria 10/10
Technical skills 8/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Overall 8/10

Total 34

greysfan

Nicholas Cage is a favourite of mine and its a well put together sig. Like the balance and great work. Sorry its short but there isn't much more to say about it.

Meets theme criteria 10/10
Technical Skills 8/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Overall appearance 9/10

Total score 35

cleo

One of my least favourite actors of all time and I think you have captured him - perfectly ...

This sig is a reasonable effort and there's nothing particularly wrong with it - just a bit on the bland side. Ha! Good effort.

Criteria = 10/10
Technical = 7.5/10
Artistic = 7.5/10
Overall = 8/10
Total Score: 33

Round Score: 102

Platypus

Jayel

I don't know Rachel Blakely. The pictures are blended very well, and I can see work has been put into this sig. I'm not overly keen on the subdued kind of look (only words I can think of to explain the way I'm seeing it). It's good sig, but just doesn't stand out to me as I'm not famiilar with her. Text positioning and font is a big thing with me, and I like both.

Meets Criteria 10/10
Technical skills 8/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Overall 7/10

Total 33

Greysfan

Great sig. It looks like one of those olden day photos that has been touched up and then the text over the top is very effective. The blends are done very well and the standard of this is very high.

Technical Skills 9/10
Artistic Skills 9/10
Overall appearance 9/10

Total score 37

cleo

Kudos for selecting an unusual subject and you've gone to a fair bit of effort with this sig. Unfortunately, for me, the overall colour, texture, image choice and general appearance is quite unappealing. Sorry to not have more positive comments - although I do like the font.

Criteria = 10/10
Technical = 7.5/10
Artistic = 6.5/10
Overall = 7/10

Total Score: 31.5

Round Score: 101.5

Joe Lunchbox

Jayel

Very nicely put together. Good pictures, and I love the eyes in the middle. Nice font and well positioned text for me.

Meets Criteria 10/10
Technical skills 8/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Overall 8.5/10

Total 34.5

greysfan

Amazing work here. I like this one the best out of the 5. Elizabeth Taylor is an icon and what more can i say. The only thing i may have done is lighten that text of Elizabeth Taylor just a tad or put a whitish drop shadow behind it but sort of nitpicking here. The blend is very well done. Its a lot of work and has paid dividends.

Technical Skills 10/10
Artistic Skills 10/10
Overall appearance 10/10

Total score 40

cleo

Gorgeous sig. Helped, as you say, by those hypnotic eyes. Can't fault it - top effort.

Criteria = 10/10
Technical = 9.5/10
Artistic = 9.5/10
Overall = 10/10
Total Score: 39

Round Score: 113.5

VMars

Jayel

I'm not familiar with this lady either, but I guess it's all down to appearance. I like it a lot. I like the main picture of her and I like the pictures in the background behind the text. Nice font and text positioning.

Meets Criteria 10/10
Technical skills 8/10
Artistic Skills 8.5/10
Overall 9/10

Total 35.5

greysfan

Its sleek, its stylish and i like it. The only thing i would say is maybe its a touch too dark. I think if you lightened her head on the left it would have been more striking but like i said its sleek and stylish but just a bit dark. Great work though.

Technical Skills 8/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Overall appearance 9/10

Total score 35

cleo

Lovely sig. I like the simplicity of the arrangement, colour tones, the font and what you've done with it - all have combined to make an elegant and attractive sig. Well done!

Criteria = 10/10
Technical = 9/10
Artistic = 9/10
Overall = 9/10
Total Score: 37

Round Score: 107.5

CellarDoor

Jayel

This one is very busy, but it works for me. I love all the fun text dotted around, though I'm not overly keen on the yellow, but then what other colour would work. I like it because it's very different and fun.

Meets Criteria 10/10
Technical skills 8/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Overall 8/10

Total 34

greysfan

Hmm maybe a bit too much text in this one for me. If you took a couple of the captions away and stuck with one it may have worked better but its a bit of a let down for me. Sorry. It overshadows it. Looking closer the blends of the images is done well but yeah the text is a bit too busy.

Technical Skills 7/10
Artistic Skills 7/10
Overall appearance 7/10

Total score 31

cleo

This sig makes me smile - it's just fun. BUT. There is toooo much going on! I like your "life story" take on your actor, and while the captions are fun it's just all too much. Less is more! Also Carl disappears a bit in the middle pic. Nice try though.

Criteria = 10/10
Technical = 7.5/10
Artistic = 7.5/10
Overall = 8/10
Total Score: 33

Round Score: 98

Well done everyone. Outstanding.

The Signature of the Round goes to Joe Lunchbox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:39 pm

The Final Round Theme : Signature Competition

Tradition dictates that the final round of the signature competition requires all contestants to design a Signature Competition Banner.

Well, it has been an interesting competition and herewith the final entries (bar one)

You will now notice that the guest judge was Super-Blur

Spoiler: show
Vmars

greysfan

Its good but for me the words "The Signature Comp" should be more prominent. Overall appearance though, it is very striking and looks great but unfortunately TVAus is prominent and not the sig comp so i have marked you accordingly.

Technical Skills 8/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Overall appearance 17/20

Total score 43/50

Super-Blur

This one is interesting, I get a 90's vibe with this sig. Props for that alone. It is a nice and clear sig that has the right blend of colours and a boost of fun which is what the competition is all about after all. Now, I understand you are defending your artistic choices and that's fine but let me give you my opinion as helpful motivation. Imagine you're sig were to be placed on a billboard, what type of impact would this have with busy pedestrians? Most likely they will be confused with the message you are trying to send across to them. The sig needs to "POP" with clear intent. Overall I think your sig is great but the message is lost in translation because a lot of conflicting artistic ideas seems to have been blended together. A glorious mess... In a good way.

Meets the theme criteria: 8/10
Artistic Skills: 7/10
Technical Skills: 6/10
Overall Score: 14/20

Total Score: 35/50

cleo

Gorgeous colours in this one. Sound ideas and you've spent some time and effort to get those ideas across - it's great that you stuck to what you wanted to do rather than do something obvious. But, while subtlety has its place, I felt I had to search too hard to get the info I needed (the "7" and the words "Sig Comp"). Also, I only got the eye idea from your comments, and unfortunately your border disappears on all but one side. So, while aesthetically your sig is very pleasing, for me, it doesn't quite succeed as an advertisement/promo for the next comp. Good job!

Theme: 10 /10
Artistic: 9 /10
Technical: 8 /10
Overall: 17.5 /20
Total Score: 44.5

Jayel

I really like this one, it stood out straight away. I like the way it all blends in and out.

Meets the theme 10/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Technical Skills 8/10
Overall Score 18/20

Total Score 44/50

Total Round Score: 166.5

Cellar Door

greysfan

Its a good sig. Like the countdown on this although the colours are a bit off for me. Red and orange although complementary sort of blend and make it a bit uneasy on the eye. Great effort for the final round sig and well done.

Technical Skills 8/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Overall appearance 16/20

Total score 42/50

Super-Blur

It may be a basic signature with the intent of going down memory lane but I like it. All the essential elements that are key for the final round are there so it's hard to fault your current effort. So instead I looked at your artistic & technical ability to point out where improvements can be made. The background you have chosen has made the foreground look quite dirty. Yellow on red has that effect. And the border blends in to the background. I suppose more time would have alleviated these problems, fare enough. Good effort.

Meets the theme criteria: 10/10
Artistic Skills: 5/10
Technical Skills: 5/10
Overall Score: 13/20

Total Score: 33/50

cleo

Nice idea and props for going back and finding the old sigs. It works ok, but your choice of font and the predominant red and yellow seems a bit old fashioned and "1st round" of the comp rather than "deciding round". I understand the position you were in with lack of time and ideas and congrats for getting an entry in under those limitations.

Artistic: 7 /10
Technical: 7.5 /10
Overall: 16 /20
Total Score: 40.5

Jayel

A great idea, but the previous sigs to me seem a touch too small. I like the font, but the colours don't really do it for me.

Meets the theme 10/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Technical Skills 8/10
Overall Score 15/20

Total Score 41/50

Total Round Score: 156.5

Joe Lunchbox

Final round!! I had a thousand ideas for this round & it took me till near the end to actually decide what to do!

greysfan

I like the idea of this one. Its different and its quirky and its something i haven't seen before. Its a good signature. Only thing i would say is the Unlock....text could be slightly more brighter but other than that great sig to finish the competition.

Technical Skills 9/10
Artistic Skills 9/10
Overall appearance 19/20

Total score 47/50

Super-Blur

I can honestly say you absolutely truly understand what it means to be a contestant for the sig competition. Props to you. In terms of your signature I have to say that you are somewhat lacking in technical ability, but that's only considering we are at the final round of the competition. All the essential elements that are necessary for this round are there. When I read what you have to say about you sig while looking at it I can see the message you are trying to send across to me. Very clear. Great effort.

Artistic Skills: 8/10
Technical Skills: 5/10
Overall Score: 14/20

Total Score: 37/50

cleo

This is a dramatic and eyecatching sig. The composition, the picture, font, colours - all work well technically and artisticly, BUT, much as I love it, it looks kinda threatening/scary - which I'm not sure is the right feel for a fun comp. For that reason alone I haven't given you my top mark. Great job!

Technical: 9 /10
Overall: 18.5 /20
Total score: 46.5

Jayel

I love the look of this one, it's a really good idea, but it doesn't have a game/computer feel to it at all. It's got a more sinister look about it - which is great if that's what you wanted to portray.

Meets the theme 9/10
Artistic Skills 8/10
Technical Skills 8/10
Overall Score 18/20

Total Score 43/50

Total Round Score: 173.5

Platypus

greysfan

Love love love it. I really can't fault it. My favourite sig of the round and love the graffiti style look. Very well done and amazing signature to finish the competition. FULL MARKS!

Technical Skills 10/10
Artistic Skills 10/10
Overall appearance 20/20

Total score 50/50

Super-Blur

Amazing how you can take other contestants sigs, put them in a blender and make it your own. Wonderful logic. Great nonetheless. Your entry has a very distinct graffiti feel to it, appropriate considering the source material you have used. What you have said about "style, colour, and chaos" really works for your entry. Well done... albeit with the help of the other contestants.

Artistic Skills: 6/10
Technical Skills: 7/10
Overall Score: 16/20

Total Score: 39/50

cleo

Very nice - this is a fun, happy, colourful, inviting sig which perfectly captures the feel of this comp for me. I like how your background isn't just random colour. Combining all sigs from comp 6 is a cool idea and you've done a great job with it. My one minor problem is the font - I love it but there is something about it (that I can't put my finger on) that doesn't seem quite right. Hence you didn't get perfect marks from me. Well done!

Technical: 9 /10
Overall: 19 /20
Total score: 47

Jayel

This ended up being my favourite, and love everything about it. Top marks.

Meets the theme 10/10
Artistic Skills 10/10
Technical Skills 10/10
Overall Score 20/20

Total Score 50/50

Total Round Score: 186

ncfan

Penalty score: 40

The signature of the round goes to Platypus.

Standby for the announcement of the overall winner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:55 pm

The Winners

It has been my pleasure to once again host the Signature Competition despite all the trials and tribulations I have had during this part of the year we did manage to get to the final.

Thank you to all the contestants. Without you we would not have any competitions.

I would also like to thank our judges because most definitely without you we would not have a competition.

Now to what you have all been waiting for.

In first place with a total score of 996 points is Platypus.

In second place with a total score of 985.5 points is Joe Lunchbox

In third place with a total score of 977 points VMars

In fourth place with a total score of 874.5 points is Cellar Door

In fifth place with a total score of 786.5 points is ncfan

In sixth place with a total score of 249.35 points is tiptop

In seventh place with a total score of 91.5 points is Sherlock Holmes

Prize Money

1st: 25,000
2nd: 17,500
3rd: 12,500
4th: 7,000
5th: 2,000
6th: 500
7th: 500

Hollywood Supporting Cast
Cash on hand: 27.50
Bank: 1,268,838.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:20 pm
Congratulations Platypus O<> O<> O<> and well done everybody else O<> O<> .......Lets do it again soon :D .....It's always good for a laugh especially with what, some of the judges have to say. :twisted:
Last edited by Joe Lunchbox on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cash on hand: 30,560.00
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:37 pm
Congratulations Platypus. O<>
Consistency pays off. I really liked a number of your sigs especially Sleepy Hollow, Port Macquaire, and the final round (and funnily enough really disliked a couple as well! - Rachel Blakely and the Olympics spring to mind ;) ). But overall really nice work.

Kudos to Joe Lunchbox for putting in some excellent efforts (esp Liz Taylor) and pushing Platypus all the way to the end.

Special mention to VMars who produced my fave Olympics sig, CD for his fun contributions including The Prisoner sig, and ncfan for doing their best to hang in there and producing consistent good sigs.

Thanks to Admiral for hosting and giving me a chance to be a judge - it's been good fun and I'd love to do it again. :)
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:43 pm
Well done Platypus. ooX O<> Very much deserved. It was a fantastic competition to judge this year with all the highs and lows we had.

Must say the judges had their own tastes this year too. I noticed some i fancied other judges criticised more so it was quite fun. Who knows next time, if i have the time, i might be a contestant again but if not i would be happy to return as judge.

Also thanks goes out to Admiral for running the comp. ooX
News Anchor
Cash on hand: 2,310.00
Bank: 7,160.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Congrats to all here... everyone did a fantastic job with all signatures in the various rounds.
Cash on hand: 2.50
Bank: 4,298,345.30
Mood: feeling under the weather
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:55 pm
Thank goodness that’s over. :mrgreen: ;)

Special thanks to The_Admiral for hosting and to all the judges for their constructive criticism. Also big thanks to the other contestants for being my rivals for a few months. ;:

I took part in this competition to better my skills in Photoshop, and I feel I have done that quite well. However, I won’t be returning as a contestant or judge next time (or the time after that, probably) as I have other projects taking over my life and I need to decrease my online activities.

*banks all the virtual monies* :geek:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 pm
Well, there we are for another competition.

Congratulations to everyone.

It was fun doing this again despite the low entrants.

Thank you to the judges for once again being a part of the competition. Without you it would be just me picking who I thought should win and that would not be a fair comp.

There will be a short break before I think of a new competition to run so watch the games thread.
PreviousNext

Return to Jokes/Games