Nintendo DS

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!

TVAus Rookie
Cash on hand: 2.50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:15 pm
With all the hype surrounding the Sony PSP, a lot of people are forgetting the competition and how good it is. The Nintendo DS may not have the video/music ability of the PSP, but as a games machine it is proving to be a better system.

This week sees the release of Mario Kart DS (scoring a 9.2 on Gamespot!) and the first game to support multiplayer over the internet. It also supports multiplayer with only one cartridge for upto 8 players. For under half the cost of the PSP system alone ($400) you can buy a Nintendo DS [b:73f6c57c25]with[/b:73f6c57c25] Mario Kart bundle ($200). You can then buy Nintendogs (9.1 on gamespot) for around $40. So for the total price of $240 you can get two 9/10 games and the system.

In contrast for the PSP you would have to pay $400 for the system, $80 for the games (maybe $70 if you really shop around) - Lumines and Burnout both scrapped in at 9.0 out of 10 on Gamespot. Plus to take full advantage of the music/video capabilities you would have to buy a 1gb memory stick ($150). Don't forget screen protectors ($10), a case because the PSP is much more fragile than the DS ($30), a cable to transfer the files from your PC to PSP ($20), and any other accessories. That is a total cost of $770 to get a PSP with a decent set-up.

Sure the DS has a much lower quality screen, but it does have stylus support and voice recognition software (which is great in Nintendogs). The DS is also more portable than the PSP thanks to a smaller design (I still think the DS is too bulky), small game cartridges, and a tougher clam shell shape.

This post isn't saying the PSP doesn't rock, just saying that in comparison to the DS it is probably too overpriced. Are extra pixels, impressed friends and portable video really worth an extra $530?

Although the DS does not look as impressive as the PSP on paper, [b:73f6c57c25]for value[/b:73f6c57c25] and sheer fun value I think that it is the best value system on the market.
Discuss!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 11,013.00
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:23 pm
i certainly wouldn't say the ds is a better gaming system, because it really depends on what type of gaming experience you want.

sure, if i want to play mario kart version 18769^27 or another rehashed mario or pokemon game. or i want to play a ridiculous dog simulation, i'd have bought the ds. however, these games, and most of the games released on nintendo systems don't really interest me.

if i want to play interesting games like lumines, cool games like wipeout, fun games like medievil, the soon to be released hit grand theft auto, the different and somewhat creative mga, or other such games which actually appeal to me, then i'd have bought a psp, which i did.

so i'm not saying the psp is better or worse than the ds, but for my needs, the ds isn't even worth a $10 purchase.

nintendo choose to go down a different path with their consoles, it will work with some, but it will isolate others. i see more potential in the revolution, and am keen to check that out, but i'm staying well away from the ds. the time i've spent with it was extremely dissapointing.

oh, and i should qualify, price is not a persuading factor at all, if the console doesn't even spark interest in me. even if it does, say with the ps3/revolution, if i can only get one, i'm getting the ps3, even if its 3, 4, 5 , 6 times more expensive than the revolution. i'm still very better at nintendo for so underhandidly raising the cost of handheld games. i firmly believe gba games are a ridiculous rip off.
[img05]http://i38.tinypic.com/2yoocbo.jpg[/img05]

TVAus Rookie
Cash on hand: 2.50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:27 pm
How can you not like a console that does this: http://www.1101.com/nintendo/band_bros/DS-demo.html

News Anchor
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:31 pm
I have a Nintendo DS and I absolutely love it! I've played some great games on it and find that the touch screen adds an exciting part to some of the games with some good mini games within a game. I've always loved Mario Kart, so I can't wait to get this on the DS.
Cash on hand: 11,013.00
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:54 pm
lol. see that stuff just doesn't tickle my fancy syl. yeah, it looks kinda cool, but it's something i'd never use. i'm not really a fan of electric keyboards as is, i prefer the feel of the actual instrument, the vibrations, the texture, being able to hold it properly, and play it properly... they get marks for creativity though.

hands up guys, who's used their ds in a spontaneous musical outburst to psuedo-simulate an orchestra? :P i'll stick to my psp and the piano thanks :P
[img05]http://i38.tinypic.com/2yoocbo.jpg[/img05]
Cash on hand: 302.60
Bank: 2,763,819.00
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:31 pm
:shrug:
Last edited by OJ on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Golden Globe Nominee
Cash on hand: 5.00
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:48 pm
I'm still waiting for someone to talk to on that pictochat feature. I think that's the only interesting part of the DS.

I have yet to see anyone in those chatrooms (just shows you how popular they are aswell) , I made a joke to my brother that I might have to go near a primary school in order to start some conversations.

And I HAVE that simulated Nintendogs game Sherry (my dog died so I guess it's in a way a good replacement), I played with it a few times and gave up because I'm too busy to be screaming at my virtual dog. Still can't get pass that level of getting the damn dog to respond to its own name. I think it's dead... good, the games restarted.

I don't plan to buy any games at this stage - I think that and the SIMS one is enough, it was a gift and a nice one but just not that exciting.

I'd rather play with my brother's PSP, better game selections.
[imgd5]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/moo_storage/roveonline-title.gif[/imgd5]
For the latest [bd5]R O V E [/bd5] news & video clips click here today
Manufacturing online rumours since 2001
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:34 am
[quote:ae17b5be4b="syl"]This post isn't saying the PSP doesn't rock, just saying that in comparison to the DS it is probably too overpriced. Are extra pixels, impressed friends and portable video really worth an extra $530? [/quote:ae17b5be4b]

Not to me, although if it was then I would go for PSP. If I was interested in a games machine, DS all the way. :)
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:40 am
I think both systems have their merits. The Nintendo DS is celebrating its first birthday this month, and you can see a marked improvment between the first generation games, and those being released today.

The Sony PSP (a little younger than the DS) is only just breaking out from that first wave of games, and already the next batch are making us stand up and take notice. Whilst they aren't "superhits" there is certainly a maintained quality within recently released games:

SOCOM 8.7/10
GTA 8.6/10
Virtua Tennis 8.2/10
SSX: On Tour 8.4/10
Fifa 06 8.7/10
Burnout: Legends 9.1/10
X-Men Legends 2 8.4/10 (scored taken from Gamespot)

I think the majority of PSP Christmas titles are maintaining a consistent level of quality that will hopefully travel in only one direction... up!
Japanese Story
Alias Stuntman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:44 am
I bought the DS on its launch date and got mario 64 ds which is alot of fun. At the moment I just play game boy advance games on it beause the games have been a little lackluster since the launch date, but it seems as though the games are getting better and better these days with nintendogs, mario kart 64 (online multiplayer!!!) and final fantasy 3 comming soon. Two of my friends have a ds as well and one of them has the great advance wars, jump superstars (kind of like super smash bros. but with anime characters) and electroplankton.
Pictochat is great fun as well so i would recommend the ds if you like these types of games :dance:
Next

Return to Gaming