Metal Gear Solid Series

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!

Simpsons Guest
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:13 pm
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots

I am an absolutely huge Metal Gear Solid fan and can't hide my anticipation for this game any longer. In the days leading up to the Tokyo Game Show some new screens have been released of Metal Gear Solid 4 and they are absolutely AWESOME! I am LOVING the new direction being taken. I will almost certainly be buying a Playstation 3 the day this is released.

Take a look at these screens:
[img18]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/Almeida24/mgs46.jpg[/img18]
[img18]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/Almeida24/mgs44.jpg[/img18]
[img18]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/Almeida24/mgs42.jpg[/img18]
[img18]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/Almeida24/mgs41.jpg[/img18]
The rest can be seen here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/650/650853p1.html

This series doesn't shy away from taking bizarre or unexpected directions, but this older snake totally surprised me. Should definitely make for some great situations. The graphics are amazing, much more impressive than any XBOX 360 stuff released so far. Seriously, look at Otacon :shock: The games setting is supposedly that of a constantly changing battlefield, as can be seen it looks like there are many Metal Gears on patrol. It seems that his eye patch is actually a visor that allows you to see what the small robot in the above screens sees.

Here are some impressions of the new trailer.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143788

The trailer should be on the net soon. It sounds awesome.

Discuss.

Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:48 pm
Here's the kickarse [b:889fb74608]new[/b:889fb74608] trailer!!

[url]http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0R6J7JY51DY383A5TK8LYJ94GW[/url]

Intrigue GET!!

I'm totally intrigued, Hideo Kojima you bastard. That new trailer is AWESOME!! But what the hell is going. Snakes old?!?! Heh, this should be good. Kojima was trying to make us think that MGS4 is going to be a FPS, thank god he has a sense of humour.

There certainly isnt any place to hide. A battlefield is going to be an interesting setting for a supposed stealth game.

GORRAM. I CANT WAIT.
Last edited by Lost is CRAP on Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 11,013.00
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:20 pm
absolutely LOVE IT! i've just found two crazy MGS fans, who also like the same shows i do :D

i am SO excited about this game, and i have to say a big thnx to almeida, first place i new the new title "guns of the patriots"

how f***ing exciting does that sound on its own? i love all the patriot stuff, so i'm glad it's still going to feature heavily.

i have to say, when i was playing through mgs3, i was so dissapointed with the ending. i'm like, wtf? a cool fight, then some stupid movie on a plane and all that? i was then kicking myself for being such a moron, because that video at the end was amazing, both graphically and plot wise, and without a doubt, the best mgs ending ever. it also made me a little teary :shock:

i absolutely loved the trailer for mgs4, the spoof one. it was so funny, i couldn't stop laughing, so the fact that there actually appears to be some method to its madness, with the fighting style, is exciting news.

i remember hearing about the mgs3 animal eating stuff. i was cut it was outdoors, and i thought it all sounded stupid. how dumb of me, it was such an amazing enhancement.

so i'm not going to be such a moron this time around. the open style fighing sounds amazing!

i'm completely with u about the whole ps3 thing almeida. there's no chance i'm NOT getting it on the day. and BEFORE i preorder from eb, i'm making sure my stupid shop does a midnight launch.

sad thing is though, i don't think we'll get it for a little while. my prediction is late 06, maybe early 07. i know they seem to think it will be sooner, but once bitten, twice shy.

i'm going to go and have a further look at all those awesome screens!

thnx :D :D :D :D

edit: i forgot to add.. how much does mgs want to make splinter cell look like a game a toddler made in his garage?
[img05]http://i38.tinypic.com/2yoocbo.jpg[/img05]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:28 pm
i'm sure you've all read it, but here's a new article from ign:

[quote:50e64caf80="ign"]TGS 2005: Metal Gear Solid 4 Revealed
Prior to the show, first details on Konami's PS3 sequel appear.
by IGN Staff

September 14, 2005 - In its last issue, Famitsu promised that its upcoming issue would feature the worldwide scoop on Metal Gear Solid 4, and sure enough, that's what we've gotten in this week's issue. The magazine offers a first look at the PS3 sequel, complete with details that we're sure will be solidified once the Tokyo Game Show opens its doors on Friday and we're able to view Konami's MGS4 trailer.

The magazine actually shares just a handful of details on the game itself, leaving most of the talking to the screenshots, which show one of the most realistic real time displays ever set to the game screen. In the screenshots, Snake -- or whom we believe to be Snake -- is revealed to be an old timer this time. The old character wields a gun and assumes Snake-like stealth poses in some shots. He's also shown interacting with a robot known as Metal Gear Mark II. If you've played one of Kojima's lesser known series, Snatcher, you'll recognize this robot, as it has appeared in that series in the past.

Raiden will also return, series producer Hideo Kojima reveals to the magazine. The new Raiden will apparently be so cool that you'll rethink your opinion of the Raiden from MGS2. The TGS trailer will give us a first look at Raiden's next generation debut.

Screenshots also show what appears to be an Otacon-like character -- that is, a guy with glasses appears in the shots and he looks just like one would expect Otacon to. Although, he's far more detailed than previous Otacon characters have been thanks to the new power at the hands of Kojima Productions. And, like the new Snake, he looks a bit older this time around.

Aside from character differences, MGS4 promises some changes in world structure. The world of Metal Gear Solid 4 is meant to be a war zone. While this was said of previous MGS games, this time you'll totally feel it. As you move through the game world, you'll see tanks, soldiers and fighter robots everywhere, indicating that you really are in a war zone.

In comments with the magazine, Kojima shared some ideas on what went into the creation of MGS4. First, according to Kojima, the game's philosophy went from "real" to "natural." As an example of this, Kojima suggests that the exclamation marks, that in past MGS games have indicated when an enemy has discovered the player, may disappear from the game. MGS4 is apparently capable of expressing such an event naturally, based on the facial expressions and the motions of the enemy.

The change to a more "natural" Metal Gear Solid takes on another form, Kojima reveals. Enemies, and the way in which you view enemies, will have greater dimension than the typical two dimensions of past games. Kojima doesn't reveal specifics, but does cite examples of Snake arriving in a battle field where country A and country B are fighting. Even though just two countries are fighting, it's possible that within one of the countries, there are different organizations that have different views and are also at odds with one another. What if Snake were to kill an A country solider. Wouldn't B country become Snake's ally? Kojima promises that we'll better understand this idea once we've seen the TGS trailer.

In addition to multidimensional enemies, Kojima promises a new element of psychological warfare with MGS4. In past installments, enemies have simply targeted the player with attacks, something that Kojima refers to as being unnatural. Kojima asks, what if the enemy were to threaten the player -- what kind of psychological effect would that have on the player's concentration and ability to move? Sadly, he doesn't go into specifics.

The shots revealed in the magazine are images running on actual PS3 hardware, and as impressive as they are, they will get better, according to Kojima's comments. While the images in the magazine are pulled from a demonstration clip, the world of MGS4 that you'll control when playing the game on the PS3 will look as good. And we assume the same can be said about the TGS trailer as a whole.

Expect to get your first look at Metal Gear Solid 4 once the trailer airs on Friday. Stay tuned IGNPS3 for more around that time.[/quote:50e64caf80]

Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:32 pm
I'm so glad they are bringing back all the old characters. I know it's not really possible but i'd love to see Eva make an appearance. God, I love her.

I'm still in shock over the new trailer, my god it looks amazing.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:16 pm
just watched it... out of this world.

god i love the way they **** with us in these trailers, it's brilliant!

FPS, that was so funny what they did.

so it's 10 years after big shell, what does that make it, like 2019 or something?

looks to me like the patriots or the la li lu le lo, or wtv they are, are still alive/active, and using the legacy to control a war :thinking:

you guys thinking the same sort of thing?

and i hope this doesn't mean ocelot is just dead, cause he's been a good addition to the series.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:09 pm
well, i'm going mgs crazy atm. i decided to listen to the theme song for mgs2, which i love (so glad they got a hollywood composer in, harry gregson williams has worked a treat for the franchise), and i'm compelled to go start a new mgs2 game now!

just another quick qn though, i remembered reading somewhere that mgs4 would be a launch title, is this true?

Simpsons Guest
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:38 pm
Just got around to watching the trailer. OMG! It is spectacular. It looks like CGI.

[quote:b06e086037="sherry is alive"]
how f***ing exciting does that sound on its own? i love all the patriot stuff, so i'm glad it's still going to feature heavily.[/quote:b06e086037]
The Patriot stuff is the most intriguing aspect of the series for me. I predict that all will be revealed in this game since they are in title. Just the thought of this game is making me giddy :dance:

[quote:b06e086037="sherry is alive"]the best mgs ending ever. it also made me a little teary :shock: [/quote:b06e086037]
That end has gotten me teary every time i've seen it. That says something right there. I hardly get teary in movies. God Kojima is so f**king talented, and to think he was intending to leave the series :shock: Thank god Konami got him back.
[quote:b06e086037="sherry is alive"]i absolutely loved the trailer for mgs4, the spoof one. it was so funny, i couldn't stop laughing, so the fact that there actually appears to be some method to its madness, with the fighting style, is exciting news.[/quote:b06e086037]
Yeah that trailer was hysterical. I love the humour in the metal gear games, the codec convos with Mei Ling and Paramedic are priceless.
[quote:b06e086037="sherry is alive"]i don't think we'll get it for a little while. my prediction is late 06, maybe early 07. i know they seem to think it will be sooner, but once bitten, twice shy.[/quote:b06e086037]

I don't mind if its a late release. There is still a truckload of PS2 games yet to be released (Shadow of the Collossus, FFXII) and my most anticipated game Legend of Zelda Twighlight Princess for GC. PS3 might actually be the last next gen console to release here :shock:

[quote:b06e086037="Hoban Wash"]I'm so glad they are bringing back all the old characters. I know it's not really possible but i'd love to see Eva make an appearance. God, I love her. [/quote:b06e086037]
I can't wait to see Meryl and Naomi again hopefully we'll learn more about the FoxDie program. That would be so great if an older Eva were to make an appearance, i was so scared she was gonna die in MGS3. There are so many possibilities.

I'm not sure about MGS3 being a launch title. It will most likely be a near launch title. Maybe it could make it for the launch in Australia if its released in '07.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,479.50
Bank: 17,328.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:45 pm
Thought I'd bump this up a bit now since I've played MGS3 to the end. Here's the link to find the Extended 15 minute trailer for it:
[url=http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/vids_1.html]http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/vids_1.html[/url]
Discuss! :D
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:01 pm
the trailer was out of this world.

there's not a game i'm looking forward to in the world, more than this. not FFXII/FFXIII, nothing...

from what i've now heard, MGS4 is going to get a 2007 release. one thing i will CERTAINLY be doing, is importing the american version if the releases vary more than a month. with no region lock-out system, and no PAL/NTSC differences, i'm not going to wait longer than i have to.

oh, and please, tell me what you thought about MGS3!
Next

Return to Gaming