Metal Gear Solid Series

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,479.50
Bank: 20,967.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:23 am
[quote:351d62d456="sherry is alive"]oh, and please, tell me what you thought about MGS3![/quote:351d62d456]
Of course Sherry :)

I really enjoyed Snake Eater. I had a bit of fear that it wouldn't manage to stand on it's own and deluge us with references to the other games, but thankfully that was not the case. It was a very interesting twist with The Boss and I have to say that she is one of the best female characters I've seen in a video game. They didn't sex her up or make her butch, yet you were still able to care for her in the end and believe that she was one of the few people that could convincingly beat the snot out of Snake. It's interesting to see that Big Boss had so much respect for her and all of his actions from there were as a result of trying to honour her yet he ended up losing sight of what she wanted to achieve-if I recall she wanted to make use of the legacy for peace and unite the world so there would be no more fighting, whereas Big Boss somehow twisted this and devised Outer Heaven to honour soldiers like her, yet it also served to employ soldiers so they could keep on killing. I wonder-if Big Boss somehow returns in Guns of the Patriots if he'll realise what he's done and how he's lost sight of what The Boss desired :thinking:
I'm glad that there is still a great sense of humour in the game-whilst some bits of dialogue are heavy and serious, it never forgets to inject some humour and even poke fun at itself. I could write a lot more, but this is a MGS4 thread, not Snake Eater :P

So back to MGS4, the time difference between the Big Shell incident and this new game really does seem difficult to pinpoint. In the new vid, we see Campbell a lot older and using a cane. But it can be argued that we haven't really seen him in a long time since it wasn't really Roy in Sons of Liberty, but rather an AI used to deceive Raiden. Otacon looks great though, he seems to have aged well :)
Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 147.50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:49 am
[quote:529a877227="sherry is alive"]well, i'm going mgs crazy atm. i decided to listen to the theme song for mgs2, which i love (so glad they got a hollywood composer in, harry gregson williams has worked a treat for the franchise), and i'm compelled to go start a new mgs2 game now![/quote:529a877227]

I'm with you there - i'm not a fan of msg really (though it does look really interesting [anything with a modified M4 is interesting ;) ] and the kind of thing I might get into if I had the time) - but I am a big film score fan and similarly a massive HG-W fan and the MSG3 soundtrack is amazing! MSG3 tracks take up quite a few top spots on my Winamp most played list :dance:

Is he doing MSG4 too? If so, I look forward to sampling his work :)
(formerly korobushka)
"I love how music evokes memories of a certain time" - Pip Brown, Ladyhawke
Oscar Presenter
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:54 am
[quote:f98d8f1122="Spotless Mind"]The graphics are amazing, much more impressive than any XBOX 360 stuff released so far. [/quote:f98d8f1122]

Note that Hideo Kojima himself also said that the MGS4 real-time demo would work on the 360, but since his development team wasn't the first to get the kits it's stuck on PS3. So you can't really judge the game (and other games on other consoles) yet based on just screenshots.
Entourage S4 (3 of xx) | Prison Break S3 (8/07) | 24 S7 (1/08 ) | NUMB3RS S4 (??/07) | House S4 (??/07)
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,479.50
Bank: 20,967.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:55 pm
Just some more thoughts on the Metal Gear saga....

I was playing Snake Eater again recently and after going through a game guide it made an interesting point. Why, if she was billed as a traitor, did The Boss' body make its way back to the US? Since barely anyone knew of her true mission and it had to be kept secret forever, how did they bring her body back home? Maybe it was the result of the Patriots and maybe we'll find out in MGS4-after all the title of the game would suggest that we find out a lot more about the group and her headstone did say "In Memory of a Patriot", which could have had a dual meaning for what she did and the fact that she was connected to the organization, like Eva was.

Considering the way Ocelot's character has progressed since Snake Eater, it'll be interesting to see if he ever finds out that The Boss and The Sorrow were his parents. I don't think that we'll see any footage of the Boss in MGS4 but then again it appears that Big Boss is going to play a vital role once more due to his presence in the concept art, even if it's an offscreen role again as well like in MGS.

And another thing that has bugged me for ages-in Metal Gear Solid, we are told that as part of the Les Enfants Terrible project, out of the eight clones only two sons of Big Boss survived-Solid and Liquid. However, Solidus was also said to be a clone in MGS2. Either it's a big oversight or one of them is/was an actual child of Big Boss and not a clone, possibly conceived with Eva :thinking:
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,063.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:11 pm
Metal Gear Solid 5 game announced, 'Phantom Pain'. never played these games before!

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:49 am
I played and finished Phantom Pain. I must say I am got seeing the 9s and 10s reviewers have given it. It's devoid of cutscenes (which made the series special), epic fights, any sort of soundtrack (No "Here's To You", really?) and Snake barely speaks. Kiefer Sutherland probably would've been paid a lot more money if he had more lines. I would still recommend the game to fans of the series but don't go into it thinking it is MGS 3.
Previous

Return to Gaming