PSP (Playstation Portable)

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:22 pm
So did we have any buyers today? I got my PSP a few months ago but I've been hanging out for the Australian launch so I can buy games locally. Still a little while till Burnout comes out though :(

[quotece]Playing into your hands

A decade after Australian gamers first experienced the power of PlayStation, Sony has unleashed its first hand-held gaming device.

Like its bigger cousins, PlayStation Portable has ambitions far beyond mere gaming. PSP also plays movies and music, displays images and you can even surf the web with it.

Available with an unprecedented 25 games, PSP offers similar grunt to a PS2, with spectacular graphics on its 11-centimetre widescreen LCD display.

PSP's horsepower and dazzling screen have ensured an avalanche of developer support, with many games offering the ability to play wirelessly against friends.

Games and films are distributed on Sony's new Universal Media Disc (UMD), a six-centimetre mini-DVD. Each disc holds 1.8GB.

Hollywood support for UMD was initially slow, but Dreamworks and Warner are the only studios who have not yet committed to the format. Locally, 18 movies are available, 37 will be released by the end of this month and almost 100 by Christmas. Sony is also offering a sweetener to early purchasers in the form of a free UMD film.

Advertisement
AdvertisementPSP owners can download videos and music from their computer onto a Memory Stick to enjoy while they're on the go.

In Japan, Sony has launched a "Portable TV" web service that lets PSP owners download TV shows, music videos, movies, trailers and sporting highlights - a video version of the company's iTunes-style Connect music download service.

In Australia, Telstra BigPond is creating five-minute PSP video packages of weekly highlights from the AFL, NRL and V8 Supercars.

Sony hopes to widen the audience for hand-held consoles beyond the children's market, which Nintendo has dominated for the past 15 years with its GameBoy range. It hopes to sell more than 200,000 before Christmas.

The PSP value pack costs $400 and includes a travel pouch, wrist strap, 32MB Memory Stick Pro Duo, headphones with remote control, power adaptor, battery pack and demo disc.

[/quotece]
http://www.theage.com.au/news/livewire/playing-into-your-hands/2005/08/30/1125302569714.html
Japanese Story
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:30 pm
I wonder how sales are going after one day.

Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:36 pm
I'd buy it if it wasnt for the ridiculous price, but for now im content with my DS besides in the long run the DS appears to have the better selection of games.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:23 pm
PSP isn't primarily a games machine either, its a "portable entertainment unit".

Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:52 pm
True but the clincher for me would be the games cos i already have an Mp3 etc. Besides to actually use alot of extra features you need a larger mem card then the 32mb one that comes with it. The 1gig mem card costs alot so really you arent geting the feature of an Mp4 until you fork out another few hundred bucks. The UMD's are a nice idea but im not willing to fork out $20+ for a DVD i can watch on a television screen.

I like the PSP but for now there is no way i'll be buying one, maybe in the future when the price comes down and some appealing games come out that i cant already play on my PS2 and Gamecube. Ports arent cool.
Cash on hand: 11,013.00
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:20 pm
didn't realise someone made this thread, but YES, i picked up my pre-ordered psp today :D

absolutely love it. amazing piece of electronic equipment.

i got the psp + 4 games (wipeout pure/lumines/metal gear acid/dynasty warriors) + 2 umd movies (hollowman+resident evil 2) + a logitech playgear pocket case + some screen protectors + a free umd case/usb cable from eb.

my 1gb high speed sony ms is at the post office and i'm picking it up tmrw :D

as for games hoban. it's purely according to ones taste of course, but there are actually no games that i like on the ds (or at least none that don't have a psp counterpart). furthermore, i was thoroughly dissapointed when i tested out my cousins ds, and it simply reaffirmed to me why i've grown to dislike nintendo/their handhelds. when it comes to psp games though, i could't get enough of them, and would have picked up at least 2 more if i'd been willing to blow the entire bank account in one go. awesome, awesome launch line up imo :D

having said that, i think i'll be throwing my 2nd next gen console purchase ninty's way if they play their cards right. so i'm still going to give them one last chance to prove themselves a usefull company to me.

so yeah, i wouldn't ever consider buying a ds, but the psp was a no brainer for me.

as for sales jay, as far as i know, most eb's ran out of their stock in pre-orders, and are waiting for a 2nd shipment b4 those that didn't preorder it could buy one. so i guess that's a good thing, but the shops were very quiet this arvo when i picked mine up. maybe the late night thursday shopping was popular?

that's enough from me for now though, my psp is getting lonely.
[img05]http://i38.tinypic.com/2yoocbo.jpg[/img05]
Oscar Presenter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:28 pm
my mate bought one (pre ordered) and we are going on a road trip next month so it will be our entertainment on the way. I thought about it, but since i just bought a plasma TV i thought i was going a little overboard.

I'll either get one a bit later on or save for the PS3 *drool*... yeah, i think the PS3 is on the cards as the next gaming device i get... hmmm... well the PSP is cool... ahhh choicea, choices!!!...
Duffman can never die, only the actors who play him.
[imgc1]http://users.bigpond.net.au/x-web/images/duffman.jpg[/imgc1]
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:46 pm
[quote:ec6baf5437="aliasfanjay"]I wonder how sales are going after one day.[/quote:ec6baf5437]

According to gamespot: [quote:ec6baf5437] 25,000 PSPs have been preordered in the continent.[/quote:ec6baf5437]

[url]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/31/news_6132318.html[/url]

That's quite a few pre-orders, don't know about an actual sales though.

Another interesting PSP sales figure:

[quote:ec6baf5437]Sony estimates that they have already sold 9 million games on UMD and 8.2 million movies.[/quote:ec6baf5437]

[url]http://www.pspupdates.com/[/url]
Japanese Story

Simpsons Guest
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:12 pm
[quote:89c58977e8="aliasfanjay"]PSP isn't primarily a games machine either, its a "portable entertainment unit".[/quote:89c58977e8]

More like a "neutered portable entertainment unit" :P

I am joking, but i think the investment is just too big when you factor in that all the extras you need to buy in order to make full use of its multimedia capabilities. It isn't a very good mp3 player either simply because it isn't portable enough.

I just don't see much value in a handheld that offers the same type of games as that of a console. The DS however has potential to offer new experiences not found on a console.

I don't have kind words for either handheld at the moment, but i do agree that in Australia the PSP has formed a greater lineup than the DS in just one day. But on the horizon there are very few games to look forward to. The DS on the other hand has a multitude of announced games that are assured of being great.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:51 pm
[quote:c41128ba44="sherry is alive"]awesome, awesome launch line up imo[/quote:c41128ba44]

Impressive that so many titles were available at launch, but it helps that it was available in other countries before Australia. Were there many titles available in Japan/US on its release?

[quote:c41128ba44="sherry is alive"]so yeah, i wouldn't ever consider buying a ds, but the psp was a no brainer for me.[/quote:c41128ba44]

While I support Nintendo, I dont actually have any interest in handheld gaming. I am not planning to get the PSP, but I have no interest in any Nintendo handhelds either.
That said, while Nintendo reigned in the handheld market, the PSP will out perform them easily.

[quote:c41128ba44="Almeida"][quote:c41128ba44="aliasfanjay"]PSP isn't primarily a games machine either, its a "portable entertainment unit".[/quote:c41128ba44]

I am joking, but i think the investment is just too big when you factor in that all the extras you need to buy in order to make full use of its multimedia capabilities. It isn't a very good mp3 player either simply because it isn't portable enough.[/quote:c41128ba44]

I agree. I understand that people want a "all in one" device, but seriously, combining so many different features gives bigger drawbacks such as portability. Personally, I find the PSP too bulky as an mp3 player, which I would use it for, and not big enough for something to watch a movie on.
As a gaming device though I have no problems with it, except I dont enjoy the line-up and personally I find the PSP annoying to hold. Each to their own though.

[quote:c41128ba44="Almeida"]I just don't see much value in a handheld that offers the same type of games as that of a console. The DS however has potential to offer new experiences not found on a console.[/quote:c41128ba44]

110% agree. But I'll go further to say why have a portable gaming device when consoles do the job anyway. Are you planning to have a quick play of something at the traffic lights? Many people say they play on the train, which is fair enough, but I want an immersive experience in a game and I would not get that from a portable device.

But its things like this which make it obvious to see why Nintendo are falling behind - as inventive as they are, thats not what sells and its not what people want. Sony cater to the masses mostly, and therefore they make sales. Personally, I prefer quality over quantity - not that Sony products are not of high quality, but in the sense that like most big corporations, the product has to be worth it for them to make it.

Personally, its why I like Nintendo - I give them credit for having original ideas and re-inventing themselves than Sony who cater to the masses. Its just my personal opinion though.

Sales of the PSP are impressive so far, so its a hit. But really, what else can you expect from Sony?

One thing I'll give them credit for - advertising. I dont think I have seen a Sony ad I haven't liked. They have one ripper marketing department. The PSP ads are pretty snazzy.
Next

Return to Gaming