Nintendo Wii

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:18 pm
[quote:24ce0d3b13="ing.com"][b:24ce0d3b13]E3 2005: Official Revolution Details[/b:24ce0d3b13]
[i:24ce0d3b13]A press sheet spills even more details.
by David Adams [/i:24ce0d3b13]

May 17, 2005 - Simultaneously with its press conference Tuesday, Nintendo issued an official press announcement offering first details on the company's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution.

The console, expected for 2006, will indeed be just a little larger than three DVD cases stacked together. Nintendo is showing a number of colors at the conference this week, though all shades of Revolution will sit on a silver stand (the console can also be placed flat).

Nintendo will use the Revolution to power its new generation of games, using power the company describes as "two to three times greater" than that of the GameCube. While the company has yet to release any processor details, we do know that the system will house 512 MB of flash memory; a dual-format front-loading disc drive which handles both DVDs and GCN-format discs; wireless controllers; two USB 2.0 ports; and built-in Wi Fi support.

Perhaps most surprising, the Revolution will give players access to Nintendo's back catalog of games. That's right: you'll be able to download classic titles for the Nintendo 64, Super NES, and original NES systems -- in addition to playing your library of GameCube titles.

Nintendo will use the Revolution's wireless capabilities to offer online gaming right from the start. The company will offer an online gaming lobby, the Nintendo Wi Fi Connection, a "comfortable, inviting environment" for online gaming.

As with GameCube, Nintendo is hoping to please both big-name developers and smaller, independent studios with an architecture which is easy to develop for.

"We will show the world what a next-gen system can be. Revolution marries the strongest heritage of innovation to the future of gaming," said Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. "With backward compatibility and the 'virtual console' concept, the stylish, compact body provides maximum gaming power. It will not only take home entertainment into another dimension by expanding the definition of video games, but it also will give you access to the great history of gaming."

"Our next console proves small in size but big on ideas," says Reggie Fils-Aime. "We're throwing open the doors of gaming to wider audiences, from casual players to hard-core gamers who live for the thrill of defeating an endless army of wireless opponents."

Of course, more details are coming in even now as we write. Keep checking back for the latest Revolution news direct from Los Angeles.[/quote:24ce0d3b13]

http://cube.ign.com/articles/615/615176p1.html

[img:24ce0d3b13]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/615/615030/e3-2005-high-res-revolution-images-20050517072756634.jpg[/img:24ce0d3b13]
[img:24ce0d3b13]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/615/615030/e3-2005-high-res-revolution-images-20050517072755728.jpg[/img:24ce0d3b13]
[img:24ce0d3b13]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/615/615030/e3-2005-high-res-revolution-images-20050517072751947.jpg[/img:24ce0d3b13]

Click here for rought comparisons to GameCube regarding size:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/613/613493p1.html
Last edited by jay on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:25 pm
[quote:4ab0241ef2="nintendo.com"][b:4ab0241ef2]Nintendo's Compact Console Will Turn the World of Gaming on Its Side[/b:4ab0241ef2]
[i:4ab0241ef2]May 17, 2005[/i:4ab0241ef2]

Each generation of video game consoles builds on the past to set new standards for the future. As the company with the strongest heritage of innovation, Nintendo redefines expectations for all next-gen systems by employing a wide-ranging strategy to attract more kinds of gamers to more kinds of games. When Nintendo’s new console, code-named Revolution, arrives in 2006, everyone will discover the meaning of All-Access Gaming.

"We will show the world what a next-gen system can be. Revolution marries the strongest heritage of innovation to the future of gaming," says Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. "With backward compatibility and the 'virtual console' concept, the stylish, compact body provides maximum gaming power. It will not only take home entertainment into another dimension by expanding the definition of video games, but it also will give you access to the great history of gaming."

Some of the system features that wowed the crowd at the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles include:

The cool look: The new console boasts high-quality materials and a smart, compact design, approximately the size of three standard DVD cases stacked together. A variety of prototype colors are being showcased during E3. It will come with a silver stand that makes the system a welcome, artistic component of any multimedia setup, whether it’s displayed vertically or horizontally.

Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the current Nintendo GameCube generation. But there's more…

The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory.

Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

The specs: The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution’s technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

The stars: Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will add to the world’s richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Wireless freedom: A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo’s newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment.

Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game “masterpieces” as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

"Our next console proves small in size but big on ideas," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of sales & marketing. "We’re throwing open the doors of gaming to wider audiences, from casual players to hard-core gamers who live for the thrill of defeating an endless army of wireless opponents."

Nintendo's All-Access Gaming philosophy covers the spectrum. The next console fits anywhere. It brings together new games and old. It gives people worldwide access through wireless Wi-Fi connections. And it opens the world of video games – to everyone. Software for the new console will even attract people who don’t consider themselves players. Adults, kids, men and women around the world will have access to the most popular video game characters, the best game franchises and the most engaging experiences yet developed – only with Nintendo.[/quote:4ab0241ef2]

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=02ea1a40-ac09-4cdf-9548-91e5a4e78746
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:33 pm
Very excited about this. This is why I never doubt Nintendo at all. Strength and power are one thing in a machine, but ingenuity and original ideas are always welcome as well.

I do like the design, but it reminds me a lot of Playstation 2 though which is unfortunate. To me this is probably about the only thing unoriginal about this machine.

I'm probably the only one excited about this, but I dont care. :D

TVAus Rookie
Cash on hand: 2.50
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:51 pm
haha the more next gen consoles coming out the better for us all, as more competition will drive prices down. Should be wicked.

TVAus Rookie
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:15 am
[quote:df9090c38f]Last night I took in G4's E3 coverage, and their discussion of the Nintendo press conference struck a chord with me. This last console cycle, with the Gamecube, Nintendo really missed the boat. The GC wasn't released until many months after the PS2 was already in homes lighting up screens, and their attempts to carve out a market share were always muddled by confusing choices. The most confusing choice of the current generation, by far, was their almost complete refusal to participate in online gaming. While the Xbox sailed by with the Live service and the PS2 limped into the arena with the broadband adapter, the GC quietly sailed on with only Phantasy Star to break up its lonely voyage. At last year's E3 Nintendo very specifically said that they were not going to miss the boat this time. They were going to release the next console right around the same time as the other two companies and make sure their name was out there.

I have high hopes for the Revolution, but to be honest Nintendo's press conference was very underwhelming. Even given that the PS3 isn't going to be on store shelves for another year, what Sony showed on Monday was literally jaw-dropping. Even if there was some liberal use of pre-rendered footage in the presentation, the press conference put on by Sony was designed to fire the imagination and get people excited about the possibilities of the next generation. Nintendo offered us Nintendogs. And a new Game Boy Advanced. Yes, I think that downloading old games onto your Revolution is a cool idea, but a...uh...friend of mine tells me that I can emulate those games on my PC for free.

Perhaps all this is just worrywortism. Nintendo has never failed to be innovative in the past, and their support of the DS and quirky games like Warioware is proof that not everything has to be same-old same-old in this ever more business-like industry. They have more than a year to get their ducks in a row, but I'm afraid that Sony and Microsoft may have already beaten them to the punch. In the end, it's not just about making fun games. You have to sell them too.[/quote:df9090c38f]
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/18/177208&from=rss

Lets hope Nintendo get themselves into gear soon. Sure playing old games will be fun, but wouldn't it be easier for most people just to buy a second hand old console if they wanted to play old games?
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:27 am
That's the thing with Nintendo, they have seemed to take a backseat with promoting and getting out their consoles since Sony and Microsoft delivered their machines which I could never understand.

They never properly market any of their machines, although I do recall the Nintendo64 having a decent shot. With the GameCube, there was hardly any. Yet, Sony and Microsoft promote the absolute sh*t out of everything they get out there.

Honestly, I like the idea for a back catalouge of games and backwards compatablity for the GameCube, but of course I'm probably in the minoirty of people who find that exciting. :roll:
Don't get me wrong, I love new and exciting games as well, I love seeing developments and get jaw-dropped by the kinds of graphics and hardware developments that new consoles deliver. But it seems the focus of the Revolution is playing those older games which I completely realise isn't going to excite a lot of people.

Revolution really could be make or break for Nintendo. They are innovative and original with their ideas, they always have been, but considering how Sony and Microsoft are with their marketing, Nintendo really are going to have to be a whole lot more aggressive to stay up there with them.
I think there will always be a market for them though. Its just a shame the way that they don't hype up their products more. :roll:

TVAus Rookie
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:47 am
[quote:d1d8951bb5="aliasfanjay"]That's the thing with Nintendo, they have seemed to take a backseat with promoting and getting out their consoles since Sony and Microsoft delivered their machines which I could never understand.

They never properly market any of their machines, although I do recall the Nintendo64 having a decent shot. With the GameCube, there was hardly any. Yet, Sony and Microsoft promote the absolute sh*t out of everything they get out there.

Honestly, I like the idea for a back catalouge of games and backwards compatablity for the GameCube, but of course I'm probably in the minoirty of people who find that exciting. :roll:
Don't get me wrong, I love new and exciting games as well, I love seeing developments and get jaw-dropped by the kinds of graphics and hardware developments that new consoles deliver. But it seems the focus of the Revolution is playing those older games which I completely realise isn't going to excite a lot of people.

Revolution really could be make or break for Nintendo. They are innovative and original with their ideas, they always have been, but considering how Sony and Microsoft are with their marketing, Nintendo really are going to have to be a whole lot more aggressive to stay up there with them.
I think there will always be a market for them though. Its just a shame the way that they don't hype up their products more. :roll:[/quote:d1d8951bb5]

Lets hope they really do surprise us and actually do revolutionise the gaming world.
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:12 am
Multi-coloured! :D Okay, not all that revolutionary, but looks nice!

[img:a3ca9f1422]http://img.engadget.com/common/images/0254838848426826.JPG[/img:a3ca9f1422]
Simpsons Guest
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:15 pm
[quote:ee3a5ae017="aliasfanjay"]Multi-coloured! :D Okay, not all that revolutionary, but looks nice[/quote:ee3a5ae017]

Oh, they look cool. 8) Never underestimate a choice of colours especially if your female. :dance: Can you clarify if the console doubles as a dvd player or just game console?

I would love to think that Nintendo are coming back with a home console I really miss some of the more classic style of Nintendo games also love to see what new stuff they have up their sleeve.

They also tend to be more child game friendly eg easier for young kids to operate, I am trying to show my 6 year old niece how to move Spyro on PS2, it's a nightmare!! :D

TVAus Rookie
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:32 pm
[quote:2c2e4028e7="willowscat"][quote:2c2e4028e7="aliasfanjay"]Multi-coloured! :D Okay, not all that revolutionary, but looks nice[/quote:2c2e4028e7]

Oh, they look cool. 8) Never underestimate a choice of colours especially if your female. :dance: Can you clarify if the console doubles as a dvd player or just game console?[/quote:2c2e4028e7]

Yes the new Nintendo Revolution will be able to play the small Nintendo DVDs and the full size DVDs (that is DVD Movies).
Next

Return to Gaming