Playstation 3 (PS3)

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 1,350.70
Bank: 629,402.00
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:06 pm
Bummer about the YLOD, i think Sony would have sent it back once it was repaired - providing they had a note saying that it was stuck inside. It's a shame that it can happen, but i think it's a victim of current day technology (when the blu-ray laser dies out - faster than a regular dvd laser that reads the discs)

I had some problems with the slim ps2 - i've had an original console since Dec 2000, tried to switch over to the slim model - several times in 2005/2006.... lets just say it's lucky that my original console still works, i have no faith in the slim design. I purchased my first slim console, was faulty out of the box, sent it in for repair, the console sent back was faulty (different fault to what mine was sent in with), sent it back again, got sent back another one that had a similar problem to the first one i sent in. It was like a drawn out tennis rally. Cutting a long story short, i eventually got a refund for the price i paid for the console.

Even with the xbox 360 console's issues, you'd expect consoles to evolve with the times..... not much went wrong with older consoles (save for controllers getting wear and tear). If the Nintendo played up, 99% of the time you just had to blow the dust out of the cartridge (or the console itself), and you were right to go!

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:23 pm
Xfactor wrote:Bummer about the YLOD, i think Sony would have sent it back once it was repaired - providing they had a note saying that it was stuck inside. It's a shame that it can happen, but i think it's a victim of current day technology (when the blu-ray laser dies out - faster than a regular dvd laser that reads the discs)

Exactly! My parents have a 20 year old CRT TV still working fine.

I have had one laptop needing repairs (another one has had a broken left button on the touch pad since 5 months after it was bought - overheating/shutting down issues), a plasma needing major repairs twice, a PVR that just came from repairs, now a PS3 that needs repairs. The oldest unit out of the bunch is the plasma which is only 5 years old.

My old PS2 lasted 5 years and then I sold it when it was still working like a treat. Is it policy these days to build products made to break inside 2 or 3 years? :roll:

If my PS3 was out of warranty then I'd be sending it to these guys - http://www.ausgamestore.com/ps3/ps3%20index.html#

Someone on a forum said they paid $150 for there's from that place. YLOD is I heard not a long term fix if it is repaired, so if Sony repair it there isn't a guarantee it wont occur again inside a month. I hope they just replace the whole thing. But knowing Sony they'll drag their feet for the next 2 months.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 am
I've decided to buy a new PS3 slim, so might do that today or tomorrow. $450 from EB Games, with a 2 year extended warranty I might pay $500. In the meantime I will get my PS3 repaired with the extended warranty and then sell it on eBay where I can get about $300-350 for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 pm
I must saying I am really enjoying my PS3 slim! :D The longest it has been in use during one sitting is over 2 hours and I cant hear a thing. It is so silent. :D I could leave my "fat" PS3 off all night, it would be cold on touch and the fans would still kick in 5 minutes after turning it on.

The only thing is the slim doesn't have an off switch at the back so it is constantly on standby unless I turn it off at the wall. A minor detail though. :)

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 1,350.70
Bank: 629,402.00
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:52 am
That's great :)

I've often read that the only downside to the slim is what the console actually looks like, in comparison to the original design, it looks like an eye sore to most people. But who cares once you're actually using it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:08 am
Xfactor wrote:That's great :)

I've often read that the only downside to the slim is what the console actually looks like, in comparison to the original design, it looks like an eye sore to most people. But who cares once you're actually using it!

It barely even looks like a PS3 console IMO! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:36 pm
I've been going through some PS3 themes, and I didn't realize how easy it is to change your interlace via the Internet browser on the console. :D

The best site is "All PS3 Themes", all you do is click on Download which is on any theme, it downloads to your HDD and then you apply via Theme settings. :D
Cash on hand: 13,665.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:56 am
Supernatural-Fan wrote:I must saying I am really enjoying my PS3 slim! :D The longest it has been in use during one sitting is over 2 hours and I cant hear a thing. It is so silent. :D I could leave my "fat" PS3 off all night, it would be cold on touch and the fans would still kick in 5 minutes after turning it on.

The only thing is the slim doesn't have an off switch at the back so it is constantly on standby unless I turn it off at the wall. A minor detail though. :)

Ours has an on/off button on the front right hand side JH.
One question. Should it be turned off at night time or when the TV goes off? If so, do you still have to go through those questions at the beginning each time you switch it back on again, or is there someway of turning them off or skipping them?

We have a Play TV box attached to ours for the TV.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 am
Jayel wrote:
Supernatural-Fan wrote:I must saying I am really enjoying my PS3 slim! :D The longest it has been in use during one sitting is over 2 hours and I cant hear a thing. It is so silent. :D I could leave my "fat" PS3 off all night, it would be cold on touch and the fans would still kick in 5 minutes after turning it on.

One question. Should it be turned off at night time or when the TV goes off? If so, do you still have to go through those questions at the beginning each time you switch it back on again, or is there someway of turning them off or skipping them?

The best way to turn the PS3 off is on the user interface, on the screen, go to the far left, where it says "users" and the top where it says "Turn off system" click on that "X" and then it will say "Do you want to turn off the system?". When you click on yes the green light on the ps3 will flash until it goes red and then you turn it off from the On/Off button.

You say yours on/off is on the front, exactly which version of the ps3 do you have? I used to have a 40GB fat version where the on/off was on the back on the console and now I have a 120GB slimline model where I don't have that button, so I just turn mine off my the power outlet after going through the user interface.
Cash on hand: 13,665.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 am
Supernatural-Fan wrote:
Jayel wrote:

The best way to turn the PS3 off is on the user interface, on the screen, go to the far left, where it says "users" and the top where it says "Turn off system" click on that "X" and then it will say "Do you want to turn off the system?". When you click on yes the green light on the ps3 will flash until it goes red and then you turn it off from the On/Off button.

You say yours on/off is on the front, exactly which version of the ps3 do you have? I used to have a 40GB fat version where the on/off was on the back on the console and now I have a 120GB slimline model where I don't have that button, so I just turn mine off my the power outlet after going through the user interface.

On the receipt here it says Play Station 3 320gb console.

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming