Xbox 360

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!

TVAus Rookie
Cash on hand: 2.50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:57 pm
Well the advertising for the new Xbox 2 console has already begun. Except the ads are very cryptic at this stage. The only real thing you can find out about it is http://www.ourcolony.net/
This is a very strange website. Which you need a password to access. The password is play if you are interested. From there you can join into the game by joining a colony. Just google search for a colony number or make your own. You then have to solve riddles. This is the same advertising they did for Halo 2, some of you might remember the http://ilovebees.com web site. It was very strange, but contained all sound bites that were the back story to the game.

Anyway if you look hard enough you can find xbox 2 clues on the web site. There are some pictures of a white controller, but the main clue is there is going to be a big a announcement in only 29 days. This is presumed to be the announcement of the name of the console and our first look at it. Can't wait. Apparently its going to be televised on MTV worldwide.

This console should blow everything that is out there atm right out of the water. Am really excited about this. Although I am sure it won't make it to Australia until at least late 2006 (its slated for Christmas 2005 release in the USA).
Last edited by syl on Mon May 09, 2005 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:05 pm
I too am very much looking forward to its release. The first Xbox is a class above the PS2 (yes, I have both), so I can only imagine the power this one's going to have!

Obviously the biggest key to its success is to make sure its still backward-compatible. I will be very pissed if the Xbox2 doesn't take the old games, but I would be very suprised if that was the case.

I haven't been paying much attention to the hype; as I anticipate most of it all are rumours, so I just give up trying to determine whats true and whats not. its easier, and never leaves me dissappointed after hearing something about it that was invariably false. :(

29 Days! Woohoo! I just hope [i:42cf694970]thats[/i:42cf694970] not more hype! :roll: Didn't hear about the MTV thing, that sounds awesome too.
Semper Fidelis

Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:07 pm
I CAN'T WAIT!!
I don't think there will be as long a wait til it gets to Australia as last time. I'd expect it within a month of the U.S. release!
As for that ilovebees website, wasn't that a game like a real-life Matrix-type game, where you find clues around the world and take calls from phone boxes and its like a whole big world-wide game?
But I remember that being linked to XBox.

As for the whole "colony" and "chaos" thing, maybe its a sign of Halo 3 :D
Cash on hand: 2,295.00
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:17 am
I am waiting with abated breath on this announcement. Competition is hot. PS3 is also rumoured for release. I know that Microsoft have moved away from Nvidia to ATI technologies for the graphics card, which is great as I personally think ATI is better.... and that the system will be powered by an IBM chipset (rumours are clockspeed of 3.2Mhz)
[img75]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/dtw/front.jpg[/img75]

TVAus Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:56 am
[quote:7115d8baf1="bane"]I too am very much looking forward to its release. The first Xbox is a class above the PS2 (yes, I have both), so I can only imagine the power this one's going to have![/quote:7115d8baf1]

Although the rumour is that the PS3 is going to be more powerful (using an IBM Cell processor) than the Xbox 2.

[quote:7115d8baf1="bane"]Obviously the biggest key to its success is to make sure its still backward-compatible. I will be very pissed if the Xbox2 doesn't take the old games, but I would be very suprised if that was the case.[/quote:7115d8baf1]

Apparently with the architecture change there is a chance the Xbox 2 might not be able to play Xbox 1 games. Although this isn't that big a flaw. Sony did a survey and found only 10% of their ps2 users had ever used a ps1 game in their console. Fact is if there is a heap of games at release, and those games are significantly better than xbox games, then it doesn't really matter. If you really want to play your old xbox games just plug your old xbox in.

[quote:7115d8baf1="thonix"]I CAN'T WAIT!!
I don't think there will be as long a wait til it gets to Australia as last time. I'd expect it within a month of the U.S. release![/quote:7115d8baf1]

I agree that the wait won't be as long, but it will definitely be longer than 1 month. It will be released Christmas 2005 in USA. Then later for Aus. Nothing is ever released in Q1 because it is the weakest time of the year for retail sales, so the earliest it gets release (depending on supply) would be April/May 2006 for Australia. Which isn't far away. Also by then there should be dozens of games to choose from.

[quote:7115d8baf1="thonix"]As for that ilovebees website, wasn't that a game like a real-life Matrix-type game, where you find clues around the world and take calls from phone boxes and its like a whole big world-wide game?
But I remember that being linked to XBox.[/quote:7115d8baf1]

Yes it was a marketing game where you followed clues to a final destination, whilst you also found out information for the Halo 2 back story. It was an elaborate marketing campaign just for Halo 2!

Just some more news, looks like the Xbox 2 will be very aggressively priced. One of the most respected financial analysts in the world, Goldman Sachs, is predicting a price point between $250 and $299 US dollars, with 3 million units available at launch. Apparently there is a world wide shortage of Xbox 1s at the moment because MS are moving their factories across to the new console!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:37 pm
I remember that Microsoft said that they sell Xbox's at a loss and make money through the games. Which is a very aggressive, but clever strategy. No good having an Xbox without the games!

TVAus Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:46 pm
[quote:da2d5b9ad5="DTW"]I remember that Microsoft said that they sell Xbox's at a loss and make money through the games. Which is a very aggressive, but clever strategy. No good having an Xbox without the games![/quote:da2d5b9ad5]

That is pretty much the standard business model for game consoles. Licencing on Xbox and PS2 games can be around $30 depending on the deal negotiated by the game company. So if you buy half a dozen games then the loss MS made on the console is made up.

Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:57 pm
[quote:25a6213461="syl"]
I agree that the wait won't be as long, but it will definitely be longer than 1 month. It will be released Christmas 2005 in USA. Then later for Aus. Nothing is ever released in Q1 because it is the weakest time of the year for retail sales, so the earliest it gets release (depending on supply) would be April/May 2006 for Australia. Which isn't far away. Also by then there should be dozens of games to choose from.[/quote:25a6213461]

I'd say Christmas would be a perfect opportunity..... is there a chance it will be launched around the world on the same day?
If not, then your April/May theory is probably more likely. Thats when the original XBox came here in 2002, but came out in the US in fairly late in 2001. So yeah, I definitely think March is a possibility....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:52 pm
Of course Microsoft would love to release it during the silly season here! But I understand that Australia is a relatively small market for them, so making it on time in the US is of higher priority for them.

TVAus Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:27 pm
It they have converted enough factories over to the new xbox 2 then they might be able to do a world wide release at the same time. However, as demand is usually very high on the first few days it would be next to impossible for them to get enough units ready at the same time to meet a launch day across the globe. I presume they will stagger launches so they can have enough units to not sell out too quickly in each market.
Next

Return to Gaming