L.A. Noire

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:16 am
CoffeePot wrote:
Know exactly what you mean ;) If you want to pick up some of the random street fights... you have to be driving... otherwise, let your partner do the driving while you check your notes. :)

Was wondering that, but good thing the street cases are fairly close together. And the map looks huge but what seems like a long distance from where you're to your destination might take 2 minutes of driving. :lol:

Every mouth & eye twitch a suspect makes... I keep thinking "LIAR!". Have had to learn to be more subtle :lol:

oh, and I've completely fallen in love with the soft jazz soundtrack while you're wandering through a crime scene 8-)

Spoiler: show
I always keep clicking "doubt" for all the eye movements, then that tune is played when you've picked well, until I find I got 0/4 right. :lol: Doubt might be a good choice, but Liar was the one you should've gone for. When they look straight at you you know its always 'truth'.

Love the background music too. Also I thought the trophy to drive 95 cars would be hard, but it's made easy when you can just go to a parking lot and sit in every car. :lol:
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:44 am
I'm having a lot of fun with the investigating and the interrogating- and the action stuff seems thankfully pretty easy thus far, and I've read that you can just skip the ones that give you trouble later on- but I would have loved just one LONG case to investigate rather than all these little vignettes, which are fun, but too short.

And I've just been driving to every scene too. Found a few landmarks, and done a few of the side missions. I do like trying to shoot the guns out of people's hands in the robbery ones.

Still think the facial stuff (and the surroundings) in Heavy Rain were more impressive than this though. That said, there's at least some emphasis on actual gameplay in this one so I'll cut the Australian developers some slack. Graphics have never bothered me one way or the other, really.

Also tried to do the clue-hunting in the first case (in the alleyway) without the music cues. Had enough trouble with that so they went on after that. ;)

Played for a bit in black and white too. Great stuff. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:08 am
I'm really starting to believe that my favourite part about LA Noire is the landscape. :D It is simply stunning, I was standing on the sidewalk out the front of a suspects house just looking at the houses on the opposite side of the street and the buildings out in the distance. Not to mention the big Hollywoodland sign. Good to see Rockstar and Team Bondi were accurate in how they put the game together. Rockstar weren't kidding either when they said it would take 25-30 hours to 100% LA Noire. I've completed 16 cases, 8 street cases (which aren't long), (driven) 52 different cars (you just have to go around sitting in all of them, also not long), found 9 newspapers (they're found at crime scenes) and drove past about 13 landmarks. All of that has taken me so far about 11 hours and I am barely over 52% complete. So the 25-30 hours is about right considering my previous case (16th, there are 21) had me do about 8 different things so I think the cases start getting longer towards the end.

The graphics are not only amazing, but everything is so lifelike, from the buildings to the brightness of the cars on the road. The graphics in this game really rival the Tibet level in Uncharted 2. I'll see what Uncharted 3 has to offer - which will be an amazing game too because game developers don't just start making average games after 2 amazing ones - and see which one will be my personal Game of the Year. I don't think any game this year will even come close to those two.

Oh yeah, and I must be the worst detective. :lol: I've got only one 5/5 -
it was a case you just had to go around find excerpts around landmarks, it was and open and shut case. Anyone can get 5/5 on it.
. I guess on the surface it looked easy in the interrogation room with the suspects expressions and not making eye contact, but it's still 50/50 since both doubt and lie are your options in that case.
pixel wrangler
Cash on hand: 3,193.50
Bank: 0.00
Mood: studious
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:55 am
A.A wrote:I do like trying to shoot the guns out of people's hands in the robbery ones.

I shot a guy's hat off in one mission... was right pleased with myself on that :lol:

A.A wrote:Played for a bit in black and white too. Great stuff. :D

I tried that mode out as well... very cool addition.

SupernaturalFan wrote:The graphics are not only amazing, but everything is so lifelike, from the buildings to the brightness of the cars on the road. The graphics in this game really rival the Tibet level in Uncharted 2.

ha ... How did I know there would be an Uncharted comment dropped in ;) You're right too. :)

I've only scraped the surface of this game so far... as I've spent way too much time wandering around taking in the sights :oops: Which says a lot about the ambience of this game. Spot on :)
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:25 pm
Cases are getting meatier now, which is good, and I should have assumed would be the case anyway. Getting multiple location leads and having to pick the right one to go to first (so you have the right evidence for the person at the next location) has added another degree of challenge. Have done pretty well finding most of the clues in each case, but the interrogations have been pretty dire. Slowly getting better though. Thin line between "Doubt" and "Lie", at times, it seems.

Think I'm nearly done with Homicide, but am going to want to replay some of these cases, no question.

Was disappointed in one of the side missions where
a guy was going to jump off the building. I would have thought I would have had to say the right thing to get him down (say, a similar thing to the interrogations- triangle, x or square for a different tone of voice) but all I had to do was climb up to the roof...and that was it. (I assume there was a time limit, but still...)
Cash on hand: 135.00
Bank: 1,877,229.20
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:20 pm
I was a bit disappointed in the graphics (excluding facial animations) but the gameplay looks awesome.
Enjoy a challenge, visit the following thread and see if you can join the High IQ Society

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:20 pm
I just finished the story cases. The end credits go for about 10 minutes (they're unskippable), but there's another scene that happens afterwards.

I'm just going to start free roaming the street cases. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:10 pm
I just got the platinum before. That was very fun going after. :D

It was much easier to platinum this game than it was Red Dead Redemption.
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:22 am
I have to gripe about one thing here...

In the homicide case
where you're finding the places where the poems lead...instead of being able to go around hunting for new landmarks myself, if you drove around town for about 5 minutes, game just tells you where to go. That was just annoying, and as someone who's played many hours being hopelessly stuck in adventure games, being told where to go was just irritating. :roll:

Apart from that I'm having a good time with it. I liked the stalking/ "going incognito" bits... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:39 pm
With the PS Store up I downloaded the DLC's, A Slip of the Tongue and The Naked City, unfortunately they're sitting in my Game Utility section on the XMB, but they haven't appeared in the game. Because the DLC I downloaded are both the "BLES" version, so Europe/Australia, and the copy of the game I have is from America. So now I have to get my hands on the Australian version just for these to work. Unless I can find the US version of both DLC, but you'd think that is what's on the store.
PreviousNext

Return to Gaming