Worst / Hardest / Most Controversial Games

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:34 pm
Name and shame the games that have really disappointed you. Is it that they were too hard? Too easy? Weren't at all what you thought or expected? Had mediocre graphics or poor gameplay? What makes a bad game?

Which games for you have been insanely hard and does that motivate you to keep going or are you more likely to give up?

With controveries, do game ratings make any difference to you? Have storylines that have taken an abrupt twist put you off? What are your thoughts on using cheats and for those who do use cheats what type do you fancy: invincibillity? Turbo speed? Super or kill-all weapons?

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:49 pm
The all time worst game I have ever played, its even got extremely high ratings for some reason, is Assassins Creed. What a freakin bore fest. :whistle:

I only bought it due to wanting a new game, not knowing which one to choose, and going with a high rating game. I got about 25% through it before deciding that Amazon.com were better off re-selling it. I lost about $10 on it by re-shipping it. A small loss on a ridiculous game. Should've known that Im a Sniper person instead of a Sword person. Didnt really help that you could jump off the highest cliff and land on your feet.

I never give up but that game was the exception to the rule because it finally did my head in and I snapped. Im only human.

I cant think of any hard games probably because I never play on the hardest mode so most games I can pass the hardest levels after 2 or 3 shots. I fancy Basketball games/War games so how hard can they really get? You aim and shoot.

Years ago I used cheats nearly all the time for hard fighting games but now I wouldnt go near them. It just seems stupid to spend $80+ on a game only to cheat your way through it.
Cash on hand: 9,840.30
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:22 pm
Well I wont Name and shame these couple because theyre classics, just some moments within them that annoyed the crap out of me, whether due to Difficulty (Sometimes factored by my youth and not being able to con onto and work puzzles out as quickly as an older, more experienced gamer would) ;

or simply by some game-breaking design flaw that makes the game's difficulty skyrocket in the wrong places (Usually near the conclusion) and if you werent clued into how to to avoid this from the beginning (remember for the earlier eras the Internet wasnt an option, Staegy guides were the go and expensive) you'd be quite screwed and in most cases have to restart. TVTropes has an interesting page on these instances i was reading just the other day - 'Game Breakers' and Design bugs that can render a sequence 'Unwinnable' if you dont get this item before you do that... etc . :D

Onto some examples now off the top of my head. Lets take the N64 Classic, [i:e75484597a][b:e75484597a]Goldeneye[/b:e75484597a][/i:e75484597a].

Being a young gamer at the time (9 Years old when it was released in 1997, Played through it in '98} I had some help from my Cousin for some of the harder levels. We got up to the infamous [b:e75484597a]Control[/b:e75484597a] Level, and man that was a killer. It took me ages to finish it.

The Problem bit? Protecting Natalya while she takes about [i:e75484597a]5 Excruciating Minutes[/i:e75484597a] to hack the Goldeneye Systems, while Glass panels start shattering and baddies start pouring in from every which way possible. It's hard enough to get past keeping the poor thing alive for that long, you've got to be constantly looking and listening for glass the whole time, and to top things off she chooses the Computer right smack bang in the [i:e75484597a]Center of the room[/i:e75484597a].... :doh:

Even if you mange to get past that, even on Easy setting where damage taken doesn't affect you that much, you yourself are probably just about spent, and you have to make a mad dash through previously unseen rooms to the elevator, all with about 50 guys chasing you and more in the extra rooms.

It's even harder on the harder settings (well Duh) where you have an extra objective to find and destroy a mainframe in one of these extra rooms. Most of the time in the mad dash you set the mines off too early and end up finishing yourself off.

I think I had some of my friends and cousins over when I finally finished it, and everyone was on the edge of their seats during the final dash...... couldnt believe it. :dance: :D

An example of a 'Design Flaw' : [b:e75484597a]Final Fantasy 8.[/b:e75484597a]

IIRC, If the Games Stat development system The Junction System wasnt complicated enough, some of the monsters have whats called 'Rubber Band AI' where they level up as you do. What's annoying is that your stats dont move as well, theyre directly correlated to your Junction system, and on top of that your physical weapons are a sepate level up system as well.

so if you don't do what's called 'Re Modelling' where your Weapons get levelled up as well, You can potentially get through the entire game relying on your GF's, Junction System, Limit Breaks, and Rinoa's Ludicrously Powerful and easy to use Limit Break 'Angel Wings'. (Which I did).

However once you reach the final castle, all your commands are muted except for physical attacks, and you unlock them one by one by defeating the mini bosses there. the only problem is if you've gotten by like mentioned above, you may have high stats but combined with the weak stats of your weapons, they hardly do much damage and thus you are unable to even defeat the first boss.

its possible to go back and remodel your weapons, but at this point the world map has changed considarably and its way more trouble than its worth.

I ended up resorting to youtube to see the Final Cutscenes, I only had to defeat the Final boss after those mini-bosses anyway. I Didnt give up on a restart, but I'm only 1/4 through a new file I play it every now and again. :D

Whew! Long Post. Hope you enjoyed my little examples, maybe even you experienced them as well! :D
Last edited by CTUAffillate on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,590.00
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:04 pm
[b:2a019932d5]Worst?[/b:2a019932d5] Too many to count.

[b:2a019932d5]Hardest?[/b:2a019932d5]
Thief 2: The Metal Age (brilliant game though)
Psychonauts (the circus level was insanely difficult)
Medieval: Total War (I've only managed the tutorials and the first level. I'll give it another go when I have time).
Grim Fandango (some of the puzzles are devilish in their ingenuity/weirdness)

[b:2a019932d5]Most Controversial Games?[/b:2a019932d5] No idea.
Last edited by Tintinrulz on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently watching:
Kyle XY - Season 2, 30 Rock - Season 2, Vikings, Gankutsuou
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:11 pm
The first two Discworld games- especially the first one- just made absolutely no sense at times. No sense.

If they weren't so ridiculously funny I'm not convinced I would've got through them.

The voices of certain castmembers from Monty Python and Blackadder helped a bit, though.

As for storylines taking abrupt twists...I always loved the ending to Monkey Island 2, but I know others don't feel the same.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 pm
Freecell can be pretty hard :|.

I don't play many games, but when I used to play SimCity 4 I would be on a great run and then suddenly my funds would plummet into the negatives :doh:. Probably due to my ambitious public transport plans (someone has to do it, 'cause the Victorian government doesn't know how).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 pm
Some of the hardest games that come to mind were for the SNES and for the PS2. I know a difficult game by the volume level of my profanity and how many far I throw the controller across the room :lol: :wink:

:arrow: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVZJuNUaVKg&feature=related]Alien 3 for SNES[/url] was quite addictive and you got to fry aliens left right and centre but it was relentless and on the more difficult settings the aliens would be coming at you from all sides and you would only have a certain amount of flamethrower fuel - your character would be running in cramped conditions the whole time and it really was a quest for survival

:arrow: Conversely I hired [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arFxuajzxOM&feature=related]Alien Vs Predator[/url] for the same platform and finished it easily in one night :| - lucky I didn't buy it!

:arrow: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnMa8IBeMFk]Battletoads for SNES[/url] at the time has some of the most jaw dropping graphics I had seen (it certainly exceeded the limits of my imagination!) and it was hilarious what your toads could do as combos... but seriously, the [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh1BSyJGtOA]high speed platform[/url] levels were just impossible... I never was able to finish it as they kept getting faster and faster!

Hilariously, looking through the youtube clips for this game, I am laughing hard at the adjectives that are used "seriously... this level is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-TtnI3330U&feature=related]frigging challenging[/url]!" Um... YEAH! I KNOW ALL ABOUT IT! Lots of swearing from my bedroom back then! And I still have the game and console... do I still have the magic? :thinking:

:arrow: The [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFw5Okb7rs&feature=related]Clock tower level[/url] of Super Castlevania IV was such a ***** - you had to time your jumps to perfectly and it was an ascending platformer so if you missed your jump you'd fall to your death, if you didn't land on the turning cogwheels properly you'd slip off and fall to your death (and when you landed on one you had to jump again making it twice as hard) and all this while flying / levitating ghoulies would be after you! Wonderful, wonderful game but damn it was hard... and it took months and months and months to get through...

:arrow: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh6kceMJg5I]Jedi Power Battles[/url] was great fun but the final stage against Darth Maul is just IMPOSSIBLE with one of the player character - Plo Koon. It couldn't be done and there was much, much swearing and throwing I can tell you :(

:arrow: I need to get back to [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyxPA6nNLnE]24: The Game[/url] for the PS2 - I couldn't get Chase Edmonds out of his introductory scene where he is trying to escape from the fortification that he was detained in. From memory I was stuck facing a wall of bad guys and there is a jeep so no doubt you use the jeep to ram a path through or cause it to explode somehow... I just kept getting shot :| I do want to finish it as there is apparently a later stage where you get to play Michelle Dressler and apparently you can kill anyone who comes at her without any penalty or consequence :shhhh: :shifty:

:arrow: Super Empire Strikes Back has an insanely difficult Cloud City level. Hilariously (if you can ignore the annoying voiceover) the guy tries to do a speed run through it and finds it [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEwaHcUGxFQ]a bit harder than he thought[/url] :lol: But worse, there are some super high jumps in the follow up level that [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIf3AfilqZE&feature=related]both of us found hard[/url] and the trick at 1:19 kills you easily about 100 times for every 1 time you make it though :evil: - seriously, it is that difficult! (and if you survive that, the boss is Boba Fett).
Cash on hand: 9,840.30
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:56 pm
[quote:171c5eb8d0="PF"]
:arrow: I need to get back to [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyxPA6nNLnE]24: The Game[/url] for the PS2 - I couldn't get Chase Edmonds out of his introductory scene where he is trying to escape from the fortification that he was detained in. From memory I was stuck facing a wall of bad guys and there is a jeep so no doubt you use the jeep to ram a path through or cause it to explode somehow... I just kept getting shot :| I do want to finish it as there is apparently a later stage where you get to play Michelle Dressler and apparently you can kill anyone who comes at her without any penalty or consequence :shhhh: :shifty:[/quote:171c5eb8d0]

Its been a little while But I do remember this level..... Using the Jeep just sets the alarms off and causes a ruckus because there's n opening further down the track that you cant get through because its too small.

I think its just a red herring to use it at all, easier to pick off each guy in that first section one by one. The rest of the game is Worth It PF, I love the Driving Through LA levels especially, and another level comes to mind where you play as Tony or Jack getting shot at by a Helicopter on the Santa Monica Pier thats quite challenging. :D

As for your question about cheats and cheat modes PF, going back to [b:171c5eb8d0]Goldeneye[/b:171c5eb8d0] there was some button combination codes you could get to unlock the cheat modes that were too hard to unlock normally (Silver Gun, Invisibility, Invincibility) . I remember one bit especially that is fun to do that dosent require cheats is you can sneak up behind a guard in the Facility level and shoot him square in the butt and if you hit the right spot he jumps ten feet high and holds his behind for a few seconds.

Natalya & Xenia's breasts also are capable of taking a few lead to them and 'bouncing back' before they actually get wounded (whether using the Invisibility Cheat to get close enough for the latter)

The there is the whole ultimate cheat mode- '007' where you can set the enemies intelligence and marksmanship amongst other things. You can create the dumbest guys with the worst shots for fun diversionary escapades on each level.

Funny funny cheat modes. :lol: :D
pixel wrangler
Cash on hand: 3,193.50
Mood: studious
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:07 pm
[quote:96517d7bb9="Andrew"]I don't play many games, but when I used to play SimCity 4 I would be on a great run and then suddenly my funds would plummet into the negatives :doh:. Probably due to my ambitious public transport plans (someone has to do it, 'cause the Victorian government doesn't know how).[/quote:96517d7bb9]
:lol: It was my ambitious Monorail transit system that always sucked up all my cash ;)

The first Spyro game (on the Playstation1!) still has me stumped. There's a level near the end where you have to jump off the ledge of a castle to a entry spot just underneath. I have had up to 60 extra lives... and wasted every single one of them trying to achieve this jump. :? Frustrating... and damaging to my controller's buttons :shifty:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:17 pm
Oh yes! Cheats!

The Baldur's Gate series has a cheat console that lets you spawn items and health ETC and jump to levels but one lesser known item that you can spawn is the [url=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Killsword]Killsword[/url] and it is just mindblowing how quickly even the toughest bosses go down with just one hit. Hilariously any character can use it (even those without sword proficiencies) and you can have one in each hand! So the downside is you never have to use any of the flashy spells as it is quicker to use the sword!

The Icewind Dale series has something similar but not quite as exciting. It went by the very immodest name of [url=http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=323803]Armageddon Chainmail of the tester[/url]! :rofl:

Oh these game designers and their backdoors... :lol:

ETA [quote:fbe6b03ce4="CoffeePot"]The first Spyro game (on the Playstation1!) still has me stumped. There's a level near the end where you have to jump off the ledge of a castle to a entry spot just underneath. I have had up to 60 extra lives... and wasted every single one of them trying to achieve this jump. :? Frustrating... and damaging to my controller's buttons :shifty:[/quote:fbe6b03ce4]
But quite beneficial to your swearjar perhaps :P
Next

Return to Gaming