Gaming Questions/Help

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:40 pm
So, he paid. :dance: Through eBay using an eCheque which will clear on the 6th, i've had those as payment before so i know that it will clear.

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:12 pm
The cheque cleared yesterday :dance: and i shipped it to him the postage cost me $7.20 for something that i had listed for $15 shipping. :dance: I sometimes wonder if the post office even know what they're doing? :thinking: I once paid $9.20 in shipping for a dvd season to Brisbane, most other times a dvd movie or game costs $4.20 to Sydney and they weigh roughly the same. The console weighed 2.9KG and only cost $7.20, to Kew (Melbourne), but i was expecting to pay over $10.

So the console and all the ps2 games have all sold, i probably made $200 or a bit over and im happy with that. I've sold some other stuff over the pas month and made about $400 :dance: , which is all going to my savings account and not to be spent. :)
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:29 pm
are JB Hi-Fi selling overseas/illegal games?

I was trying to trade four games at EB games and they wouldn't take my DS game Boulder Dash Rocks as it doesn't have some Australian seal or something on the back.
The girl behind the counter said "obviously you bought this game overseas". She was surprised to learn that I bought it at JB Hi-Fi in Penrith.

She says it's illegal to sell games that don't have the Australian thing on the back and hence EB can't take my game as it would be illegal for them to resell to someone else.

I'll take it to JB and see what they say.

The game worked fine on my DS and I would have thought that overseas games wouldn't work properly on Australian DS consoles. It's why I never bought any new games when I was in Hawaii.

Perplexing...... :?
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,279,451.00
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:59 pm
Maybe EB has no idea...
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:28 pm
Possibly this EB store doesn't have any idea! I was going to buy a game, the same girl I mentioned above said there was a special collector's edition for the same price and did I want that, I said yeah ok, then it took two staff members and the store manager 20 minutes to locate the special collector's edition of the game. They had all forgotten where it had been put. :roll:
I was nearly going to say just forget it and I'll have the normal edition, but the girl had made the special collector's edition sound so tempting.
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 1,350.70
Bank: 629,402.00
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:10 pm
Most places (EB, GAME, JB Hifi etc) used to accept non Australian games, not sure why they started to clamp down (probably realised their profit margins were going down the gurgular as people began to import games overseas, rather than buy in store).

I used to see NTSC-J, NTSC and UK-PAL games all of the time, i still see the occasional UK-PAL versions in the pre-owned section. This could be more to do with the fact that some UK-PAL games come packaged in their UK packaging, with the Australian classification logos on the packaging (usually stickers on the shrink wrap).

Not sure what the "official" line is, usually the unaware (ie: those that don't spot the different classification ratings on) still process it through. Although it could come up through their computer system that it can't be processed (usually because it doesn't recognise the barcode that gets scanned).
pixel wrangler
Cash on hand: 3,193.50
Bank: 0.00
Mood: studious
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 pm
Thanks for posting about this couch_potato..... it's a situation I hadn't thought about before to be honest
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:14 pm
Well i actually bought a couple of DVD's from K-Mart recently and i took them home only to discover they were Region 2. I took them back and demanded an answer as to why. They apologised and said that there must have been some sort of mix up. They gave me a refund plus a $100 K-Mart card. I guess maybe they were worried? I went there just yesterday and the DVD's in question were no where to be seen. Maybe i was onto something. :o
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 2,060.40
Bank: 0.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:44 pm
greysfan wrote:Well i actually bought a couple of DVD's from K-Mart recently and i took them home only to discover they were Region 2. I took them back and demanded an answer as to why. They apologised and said that there must have been some sort of mix up. They gave me a refund plus a $100 K-Mart card. I guess maybe they were worried? I went there just yesterday and the DVD's in question were no where to be seen. Maybe i was onto something. :o

I doubt the people who served you knew why they were Region 2 instead of Region 4; afterall they didn't import and have the movies distributed themselves ;) How many people who work in the DVD industry in any sector, do you see check a movie for a Region? But whoever distributed them obviously made a bit of a delivery error! Good service of them though to give you a $100 voucher, probably were a bit worried considering they've a bit of a sale on their DVD's at the moment!
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:21 pm
Well i asked the manager who was at the returns desk. The look on his face said it all really. He was puzzled but at the same time i think he had a feeling that this should have been region 4. Doesn't worry me one bit considering they gave me the voucher. :D

But you are right they never check the region because the staff are checkout people. Checking for this type of thing isn't what they are hired to do. ;) I guess the big surprise was that when i went back this week to spend my voucher the DVD's in question were not there any more. It wasn't just a few it was a range of them had gone. Guessing that they were all sent back to the manufacturer.
PreviousNext

Return to Gaming