Gaming Questions/Help

Okay all you Gaming Geeks!!! Get in here!!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,279,451.00
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:25 pm
greysfan wrote:Well i actually bought a couple of DVD's from K-Mart recently and i took them home only to discover they were Region 2. I took them back and demanded an answer as to why. They apologised and said that there must have been some sort of mix up. They gave me a refund plus a $100 K-Mart card. I guess maybe they were worried? I went there just yesterday and the DVD's in question were no where to be seen. Maybe i was onto something. :o

Wow what were the dvds??
Cash on hand: 17,393.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:27 pm
thats strange greys, explain more. what were they and did they have the UK's rating logos on them?

if they did Im sure you would've noticed when you put them in your hands at the store.
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:34 pm
treeman wrote:
greysfan wrote:Well i actually bought a couple of DVD's from K-Mart recently and i took them home only to discover they were Region 2. I took them back and demanded an answer as to why. They apologised and said that there must have been some sort of mix up. They gave me a refund plus a $100 K-Mart card. I guess maybe they were worried? I went there just yesterday and the DVD's in question were no where to be seen. Maybe i was onto something. :o

Wow what were the dvds??

The DVD's were The Office UK. I have been wanting to buy these for a while and K-Mart finally got some in stock, or i had thought anyway. Strangely enough i actually didn't read the back until i got home because i knew what i wanted. It was the Christmas edition and Season 1 which in total was $59. They were out of Season 2. Guess the show coming from the UK maybe they got the region wrong. Like i said they were gone the other day with a range of British TV stuff.

Cyborg wrote:thats strange greys, explain more. what were they and did they have the UK's rating logos on them?

if they did Im sure you would've noticed when you put them in your hands at the store.

They did have our ratings stickers on the front and back so thats why i didn't look. You sort of don't really think to look at these sorts of things as i have never come across this before. As soon as i placed it in the DVD player at home it came up with the message this is a region 2 DVD. Please place correct region into player. Thats the first time i knew the region #. There were stickers on the back too so maybe they were covering it up?
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:09 am
CoffeePot wrote:Thanks for posting about this couch_potato..... it's a situation I hadn't thought about before to be honest

No worries :) . I had to post and discuss it as it was just so perplexing! I really didn't think Australian stores sold any overseas games (or DVDs) but reading the other posts it seems they do sometimes, even by accident.

I thought overseas games would not work on Australian consoles, but my foreign game has EUR on it so perhaps the European games do work but US games wouldn't? The time I went to Hawaii, I avoided buying any games of any sort just in case they wouldn't work.

Kmart selling region 2 DVDs.....how about that. A $100 voucher sounds like pretty good compensation though! :mrgreen:
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:44 pm
^ The PS3 is completely region free so any game from anywhere around the world will work on an Australian console. Not sure about other consoles though.
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:12 pm
couch_potato wrote:Kmart selling region 2 DVDs.....how about that. A $100 voucher sounds like pretty good compensation though! :mrgreen:

I recon. All i was expecting was a refund. Like i said before the look on the persons face was priceless. They must have known it is actually illegal to sell that as a major retailer.
TV Watcher
Cash on hand: 65.00
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:26 pm
Could some one please help me with understanding buying PS3 games online.

1. Are PS3 games region locked? So for example, on Amazons they have DCUO which I can order. Is that game for NA PS3 only or will I be able to play it on my PS3 which I bought in Australia?

2. If I did order DCUO from Amazons, and it is the NA version, would I then need to create a PSN account with a fake NA address in order to play it on NA Servers or could I play it on NA servres with my current account which is tied to EU PSN?

3. Which are the best places to order PS3 games online and which places will ship to Australia? I tried to create an account with Best Buy but it will only accept NA zips.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Sloaney on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sloaney: External URL's removed from post as per site policy

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:35 pm
1) PS3 games are completely region-free. I have a lot I have bought from Amazon.com and they all work on my console.

2) No, you wont need to create an American PSN account, I can play my games bought from Amazon.com on my online Australian PSN account so its not a problem.

3) Amazon are by far the best, but bare in mind they don't ship every game here. You might want to try Amazon.ca and Amazon.uk too (your account created on Amazon.com will automatically work on the others). Maybe even give Barnes and Noble a try, I've bought from them in the past and they're very reliable.

Some stores like Best Buy only ship within the US.
Previous

Return to Gaming