Graphic Driver Update Question

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,515.50
Bank: 5,302,197.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:51 am
How do you (any of you) go about updating graphic drivers?
I have nVidia graphic card with the Geforce Experience installed. It constantly does updates and the last one caused my Sims4 to freeze, and Sims3 constantly crash, so I did a system restore and all's good again.

I have read so many different ways as in NEVER let Windows update your drivers. Why that's what Windows does.

ALWAYS update from manufacturers site. Not easy when you're just not quite sure which the right one is.

ONLY update from nVidia. Too hard to know if it's the right one you're downloading.

ONLY update through device manager - which I find easy to do.

NEVER update through device manager.

It's all too confusing.
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 29,909.00
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:48 pm
Hey Jayel,

The reason why it's not advised to update the graphics card through Windows is because it is outdated.

Geforce Experience makes it simple to update without knowing what type of gfx card you have. It even gives you an option during an update to do a "clean" install which basically deletes the previous driver and settings instead of updating on top.

What gfx card you have? Nvidia drivers cover all gfx cards until it reaches end of life.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-eol-graphics-card,26304.html

Problems with games are usually because it is not set to what your PC can handle. Again "Geforce Experience" can remedy this for you but if you have an older gfx card then you need to go into the games settings and manually adjust them to gain optimal performance.

Hope this info helps. ;)
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,515.50
Bank: 5,302,197.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:50 pm
Hi Kal, thanks for your reply.
I have the 840M. I've put that in through the check for driver thing-o at GeForce experience, but I have no idea as to where to go from there. I've been told just to go for the top of the list.

My games have been running really well on both old and new laptop. Old not the right specs but new good specs. That last GeForce update screwed it all up so did a system restore.
I guess there's no point in doing an update unless there is a problem. I have no problems. Just reading tech help on the Sims forums keeps me aware if a problem arises about what I should be doing. If I have a problem, I might be messaging you hahaha! :D

EDIT - I've also noticed, having poked around in my reliability history, that my nVidia card has been doing updates in the background anyway. Is that reliable?

Return to Technology