Apple iPhone

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 302.60
Bank: 2,763,819.00
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:01 pm
PF wrote:
Wonder if 3's or 3GS's will be going cheap or not offered at all after tomorrow?

Most stores have no stock of the 16GB and the 32 GB was still $500+ last weekend. Just checked and Telstra Online don't even have the 32GB G3S anymore.

We grabbed our 16GB 3GS ones while we could still get them on Saturday and had to do a LOT of ringing around to find them. Eventually found them in a town 85kms away and they claimed then they had just 2 left after starting the week with 30 in stock. We needed Telstra plans because of some of the locations we need to use them in. The actual phones cost us nothing so they couldn't go much lower than that.
"Reason cannot prevail where reason cannot penetrate" (Peter Quennell).
Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 7,220.40
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:16 pm
iOS 4.1 is now available! Much better update experience than 4.0 :roll:

4.1 is how 4.0 should of been!!! My phone is working so much better - its not sluggish anymore - 4.0 made it run so slowly!

The following is a list of changes in the latest version:

-Initial release on iPod Touch (4th Generation)
-iPhone and iPod Touch only
-Improved calendar colours
-Bug Fixes
*Proximity Sensor problems
*Bluetooth connectivity
*iPhone 3G's performance problems under iOS 4.0
*Nike+iPod fixes
*Fixes white balance issue with iPhone 4 under certain lighting conditions.
*Fixes FaceTime error where iPhone 3G and 3GS users could enter "facetime://" URLs in Safari.
-Game Center (only for iPod Touch (2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation), iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4)[48] but not iPhone 3G
-Updates Carrier Settings (US is AT&T 8.0)
-Security updates to Accessibility, Facetime, ImageIO and Webkit
-Improved AVRCP, adds support for Next and Previous
-Enables FaceTime call connection via email contacts (eg. for 4th gen iPod Touch users who won't have a phone number) and through favorites
-Check Spelling can be turned off in Settings
-P2P App Support[citation needed]
-Improved Battery life across the board
-High Dynamic Range photos (HDR) [iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th Generation only]
-HD video upload over Wi-Fi (only for iPhone 4)
-TV Show rentals
-Can move an existing appointment from one calendar to another
-Notes syncing removed from iPhone 3G due to reported performance problems
-Safari 6531.22.7, Webkit 532.9
-Restores Field Test mode
Neighbours Extra
Cash on hand: 112.50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:34 pm
I've decided to hold off on this. I was really excited for it but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to get one. I'm waiting to see what the Panasonic Lumix phone offers.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 2,060.40
Bank: 0.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:28 pm
I've been given a 3GS model from a family member today, and am wondering will I be able to freely access Facebook at no extra cost? I currently can through the 0.facebook.com webpage on my Telstra phone, and with my Next G simcard will I be able to still access Facebook for free?
Cash on hand: 17,233.30
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 pm
I was on pre-paid and went on a plan recently with an IPhone 4. great phone but the battery life stinks!!

I hardly ever get calls or use it too often and when its being unused the battery seems to drain fast-ish. is there
any way to fix this besides turning off net stuff? I thought the phone was meant to have a longer battery life!
Cash on hand: 159.50
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:55 am
Apple iPhone secretly records owners' every move
Charles Arthur
April 21, 2011
7:01AM

With the iPhone tracker, researchers were able to map out the location data their phones were collecting.

Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go - and saves every detail to a secret file on the device which is copied to the owner's computer when synchronised.

The file contains the latitude and longitude of the phone's recorded coordinates along with a timestamp, meaning that anyone who stole the phone or the computer could discover details about the owner's movements using a simple program.

Pete Warden, one of the researchers, said: "Apple has made it possible for almost anybody ... with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you've been."

Only the iPhone records the user's location in this way, say Warden and Alasdair Allan, the data scientists who discovered the file and are presenting their findings at the Where 2.0 conference in San Francisco on Wednesday. "We haven't come across any instances of other phone manufacturers doing this," said Warden.

Simon Davies, director of the pressure group Privacy International, said: "This is a worrying discovery. The existence of that data creates a real threat to privacy."

Warden and Allan point out that the file is moved on to new devices: "The fact that [the file] is transferred across is evidence that the data-gathering isn't accidental."

Mobile networks already record phones' locations, but it is only available to the police and other recognised organisations following a court order under the Regulation of Investigatory Power Act. The iPhone system appears to record the data whether or not the user agrees. Apple declined to comment on why the file is created or whether it can be disabled.

The researchers have set up a web page at Pete Warden's website to let Apple users check location data the phone is retaining. The Guardian has confirmed that 3G-enabled devices, including the iPad, also retain the data.

Graham Cluley, at the security company Sophos, suggested that Apple might be seeking data for advertising targeted by location, but he added: "I tend to subscribe to cockup rather than conspiracy on things like this - I don't think Apple is really trying to monitor where users are."

However, Apple can legitimately claim that it has permission to collect the data. Near the end of the 15,200-word terms and conditions for its iTunes program is an 86-word paragraph that says: "Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used ... to improve location-based products and services."

The Guardian

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/apple-iphone-secretly-records-owners-every-move-20110421-1dpab.html#ixzz1K6dTOd7c

Oh what a shock...

I guess my thought is what is the use of this data to anyone else other than the user. Yes, it shows where you have been but what would it matter to anyone else.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 247.50
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:38 pm
My immediate thought here is that with that line in the contract, this is not a cock-up, but intentional.

I'm sure that despite claims that the data anonymous, there's always ways to track it back to a single user. Which is where my concern, were I an iPhone owner, would lie.

But also, I ask myself what they do plan to do with this data? Are they going to allow advertisers to send targetted advertising to users based on their location? If so, surely that is spamming? Also, with this data sync'ing with your computer, I begin to wonder what other data is being gathered and sent back without your knowledge.

And I'm not even that paranoid! I have a registered MyKi that probably tells Metro more about my movements that my phone would. But I guess the difference is that I knew that when I opted to give that organisation my details.
I may be a geek, but it's one of my endearing qualities.
Cash on hand: 17,233.30
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:01 am
as you may already know, iPhone 6 has been announced for a release date very soon!

don't think the bigger one is needed, it's like it's a mini iPad or something.

I have a 4S, was holding out for a 6. will probably upgrade when 8 comes out.

how bout you?
Last edited by Cyborg on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:54 am
Release date is September 19!

I want one desperately. I think the iPhone 6+ is amazing! It has so many great new features although i wish the iPhone 6 had the same features. The HD component is going to be amazing and the keynote was very good. How amazing is the camera on these things. As an Apple lover this excites me. I'll have to hold them to decide which one i am going to get. Good thing is my plan is up next month and i can upgrade. I've had the 4S for a while now and i sort of decided to skip the 5. Its a huge advancement and personally the Samsung and its new screen i think is horrible. Just my 2c.

The watch on the otherhand, not for me. Would love the cluster feature on the iPhone but other than that i think the watch isn't much chop.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:13 am
In the meantime, did anyone enjoy having a copy of the new u2 album on their iphones? ;)

And graciously/ subsequently DELETE ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Technology