End Of XP

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,548.00
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:11 pm
Anyone out there still using XP? If so, what is your plan? I have my dinosaur laptop with it on still on. My question is - i know people who have had non genuine xps installed on their computers for years, so have never had updates, so why would MS pulling the plug on xp now have any problems since people haven't had security probs with pirate copies? I can update the old laptop, but don't really want to. I want another year out of it as a backup until win9 comes out next year when I can justify getting a new laptop and having my current one as as backup.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:46 pm
Jayel, for some reason computers running pirated copies of XP do get updated by Microsoft. Besides that, any competent anti-virus software will shield it from Trojans and other malware. My only problem now is that XP is a 32 bit program. Its addressing limits won't let it work with hard disks in excess of 2.4 terabytes even if they are not boot drives. As long as you are happy with your XP based comp, there is no reason to "upgrade" to the seventh circle of hell, let alone to the bling thing, just because Microsoft decided to no longer provide security patches.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,279,451.00
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:29 am
The Tech guy that comes on the radio has been saying it is an absolute must.

I must admit I'm a little sceptical, if you stick to reputable sites I don't see how you are going to have many problems, continue to update your files though just in case. Businesses should be updating though, many haven't which is a worry.
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:45 pm
Its not an absolute MUST as these guys have been saying. Its Microsoft saying stuff you guys time to buy more software from us. If you have the right security protection on your computer you should be fine. However its advised you update to keep up with the latest.

The only issue you may find is that the internet security creators stop creating for XP then you might have to upgrade.
Cash on hand: 142.00
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:07 pm
The big issue will also be with drivers. Your computer will have XP drivers installed for all of the hardware. The hardware manufacturers will no longer be updating the XP drivers so there is an off chance that if your hardware stops to function properly and needs a driver update that the update wont be available.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 am
Thanks for all your replies. I've been reading up on it and this is one of the sites I found - among many.
So far I've done all but one of these, the only one I haven't done is the limited account.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software ... ll-updates

TV Watcher
Cash on hand: 52.50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:23 pm
The main issue with win 7 was space it takes. But this problem has been solved with its low space version.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:02 pm
I've now made my mind up. Since finding out I can't use my licence key on a second computer without paying for another one I'm leaving it be. The old laptop is too old and slow to even consider spending money on, so I'm going to stick to the tried and tested sites, do manual updates and in 6 months I'm going to buy an new laptop and relegate my other one to backup.
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,279,451.00
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:10 pm
If you are staying with XP this is what the local tech guy reckons:

SO YOUR NOT MAKING THE MOVE FROM WINDOWS XP - WHAT SHOULD YOU DO ? /MARCH 31, 2014

Windows XP – Don’t want to move on - What can you do ?

There are 8 days to go to the end of support for Windows XP

So you don’t want to upgrade or cant afford to upgrade , what can you do ?

Here are my suggestions.

Make sure your computer is “ clean as a whistle “ - no infections on the computer or through the browser.

If you are not sure you should get some help.

Make sure all updates to April 8th are done and installed

Not here is what you need to do.

Stop using Internet Explorer
Use Google Chrome or Firefox with no add ons or extensions
Uninstall Adobe Flash , Adobe Reader , Java
Move your emails to online , Gmail / Outlook.com
Use an antivirus product – my preference is eset.com.au
Stop running as an administrator – run as a limited user - this means you will not be able to install any software without an admin password
Realise that in the end you will have to make the move to a new computer or upgrade your old one if it will take it as the above steps will only work for so long before disaster strikes.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:40 am
treeman wrote:If you are staying with XP this is what the local tech guy reckons:

SO YOUR NOT MAKING THE MOVE FROM WINDOWS XP - WHAT SHOULD YOU DO ? /MARCH 31, 2014

Windows XP – Don’t want to move on - What can you do ?

There are 8 days to go to the end of support for Windows XP

So you don’t want to upgrade or cant afford to upgrade , what can you do ?

Here are my suggestions.

Make sure your computer is “ clean as a whistle “ - no infections on the computer or through the browser.

If you are not sure you should get some help.

Make sure all updates to April 8th are done and installed

Not here is what you need to do.

Stop using Internet Explorer
Use Google Chrome or Firefox with no add ons or extensions
Uninstall Adobe Flash , Adobe Reader , Java
Move your emails to online , Gmail / Outlook.com
Use an antivirus product – my preference is eset.com.au
Stop running as an administrator – run as a limited user - this means you will not be able to install any software without an admin password
Realise that in the end you will have to make the move to a new computer or upgrade your old one if it will take it as the above steps will only work for so long before disaster strikes.

That's all in that link I posted Treeman, thanks anyway. The only reason I'm not prepared to pay to upgrade is that laptop isn't my primary one, it's my back up one and is on it's last legs anyway, I've done all of what you posted bar running as limited user.

I don't use the old one for much more than checking FB and here when I'm at work, and email. Email is through Thunderbird, I think that link said Thunderbird is okay still, being part of Firefox, and Avast anti virus.
Next

Return to Technology