Up-Dating Old Laptop

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,565.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 am
I had a message from Microsoft when I fired up the old laptop this morning to keep it updated, and it said that as of *whatever date it said in April this year* there will be no more support or updates for XP. I assume this won't be a major problem whilst I have anti virus etc etc, plus, I only really use this laptop as a back up, and nothing major since Sims3 fried it, I don't use IE, so I don't need that updated - my question is, when I was looking through my old computer things the other day I found the Win7 installation disc for my current laptop. Can I install that? Will I have to have a licence code number? What would be the best option to keep this old thing going, or should I just put it to rest?
Cash on hand: 159.50
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:35 am
Jayel wrote:I had a message from Microsoft when I fired up the old laptop this morning to keep it updated, and it said that as of *whatever date it said in April this year* there will be no more support or updates for XP. I assume this won't be a major problem whilst I have anti virus etc etc, plus, I only really use this laptop as a back up, and nothing major since Sims3 fried it, I don't use IE, so I don't need that updated - my question is, when I was looking through my old computer things the other day I found the Win7 installation disc for my current laptop. Can I install that? Will I have to have a licence code number? What would be the best option to keep this old thing going, or should I just put it to rest?

What this means is that there will be no further security updates from Microsoft for any Windows XP machines.

Any Windows XP machine that is in anyway connected to the internet whether using IE, Chrome, Firefox etc will need to be upgraded to Windows 7.

The Windows 7 installation disc you have for your new laptop may work for the old laptop but it will be what is known as a clean install so that the entire hard drive of the old laptop will be wiped clean and Windows 7 installed.

If you want to maintain the old hard drive you will need to obtain a Windows 7 upgrade disc.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:01 am
I don't need anything on the old hard drive, anything important I have saved to a USB. I'm happy with a clean install if that's what it is.
Do I just put the disc in and run it?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:04 pm
You may first have to do a Windows 7 compatibility test from the Microsoft site ... it does a test of your machine and will tell you if it has the necessary 'power' and hardware to run Windows 7.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:12 pm
That's what I was wondering about, it's a bit of an old crock, and when I poked through the bowels of it in safe mode recently, just for a poke around, I found it was using more than the installed memory, probably not a good sign. I did however find this - what do you think?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software ... -pc-secure
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:15 pm
The_Admiral wrote:Any Windows XP machine that is in anyway connected to the internet whether using IE, Chrome, Firefox etc will need to be upgraded to Windows 7.

My desktop OS is XP Pro, one of my laptops runs Win 7 and the other Win 8. I dislike Win 7 and positively hate Win 8 to the extent that I am seriously considering to reformat the latter and install Win XP, expecting Trend Micro to keep it safe from Trojans and other malware. If that doesn't work out I'll just have to learn how to handle Linux, probably the Redhat distribution.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:47 pm
I know how you feel FD, old laptop is is XP, current one is Win7, New desktop is Win 8.1. I must admit I really like Win7 like I used to like XP, I now find XP too dated, and am getting used to Win8.1 pretty quickly.

Did you read the link about saving XP I posted above?
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:47 am
Yes, thanks, Jayel, I stumbled across that article a few weeks ago. Pretty much expressed what I already knew when I ran Win 3.1 on top of DOS 6.2. Nothing much has changed since then in that respect. My computer experience reaches back to 1989. In fact, that is also as long as my first and only first hand experience with virus infection goes. My first computer was a '286 ex demonstration model I bought from a computer shop. It came with a 5 and one quarter inch floppy drive, massive 70 megabytes of storage, 1 meg of RAM and DOS 3.3. No mouse, but to make up for it, it had a virus named Jerusalem B on it, so I was forced to become knowledgeable about malware right from the start. My first anti-virus software was written by Claude Almer who lived in Hornsby and sold his stuff through a software distributor called Manacom. On 5 and one quarter inch floppy disks, of course. I didn't get on to the internet until 1990, but even then the WWW did not exist yet. Things keep changing, but the underlying principles remain the same.

Although I have done some modifications to Win 8.1, it still does not behave in a manner I would like it to. The "modern" UI in particular sucks donkeys' balls. I'm going to see if one of those add-on programs that reinstate the functions and methods Win 8 abandoned next. If the system goes pear shaped I'll just wipe the disc and give Linux a try. Everything is backed up weekly anyway.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:30 am
The_Admiral wrote:You may first have to do a Windows 7 compatibility test from the Microsoft site ... it does a test of your machine and will tell you if it has the necessary 'power' and hardware to run Windows 7.

Okay, I've run the compatibility test, and all's good. I have to do a custom install. Now, updating the drivers after I've done it; will a windows update do that for me, or will I have to trawl the Dell site for new drivers, if that's the case, it's beginning to be too hard basket material and am thinking since this old thing is so slow anyway to down grade my current laptop and get a new one - just finding it hard saying goodbye to this one when it's still got a bit of life in it. I only use it at work for basic internet and my writing.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 am
Jayel wrote:
The_Admiral wrote:You may first have to do a Windows 7 compatibility test from the Microsoft site ... it does a test of your machine and will tell you if it has the necessary 'power' and hardware to run Windows 7.

Okay, I've run the compatibility test, and all's good. I have to do a custom install. Now, updating the drivers after I've done it; will a windows update do that for me, or will I have to trawl the Dell site for new drivers, if that's the case, it's beginning to be too hard basket material and am thinking since this old thing is so slow anyway to down grade my current laptop and get a new one - just finding it hard saying goodbye to this one when it's still got a bit of life in it. I only use it at work for basic internet and my writing.

Once you have done the clean install and have restarted your laptop ensure that the first thing you do is install antivirus software. Once you have done that go to the Dell site and download and install all the updated drivers they have for your laptop.

Depending on your download limit you will probably need to keep the laptop connected to the internet for a while so that Microsoft can update all of the security issues with Windows 7.

Good luck.

Next

Return to Technology