Universal Remotes - For every TV except yours

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:12 pm
I have a Grundig TV, and the remote for it has been dropped a few times and as a result, the buttons now don't function like they should.
Sometimes they don't respond at all, sometimes they do things they're not supposed to. An example is wanting to flick up the channels to see what else is on. Pressing CH+ results in the sound being muted. Pressing CH - causes nothing to happen. Sometimes the remote functions normally, but I'd like a remote that works all the time, not sometimes.

So I purchased a One For All URC - 7110 remote. It's only for TVs, as I didn't need a remote for the DVD player or Foxtel as well.

Its packaging does not suggest that Grundig TVs don't respond to this remote as Grundig have "very complex infra-red signals" (the hotline guy's words). In the list of codes for each TV brand, Grundig is right there along with about 10 codes to try.

This remote should be called One For All Except Grundig.

My options are now:

* mail the One For All at my cost to the company and within two days they will have programmed it and I'll have it back

* Take the One For All back to store of purchase and swap for a learning universal remote. Hold this remote 'nose to nose' with the Grundig remote and program it one button by one button.

* Contact the company behind Grundig and purchase a new Grundig remote

* Put up with my dodgy remote. Hope it doesn't get worse and try not to drop it in future. Use the buttons on the side of the TV when the remote is playing up.

* Get a new TV altogether. Bit of a waste really. I'll consider the other options.

I'm not sure how many other brands of TV are not compatible with basic universal remotes. If it's a lot, then they shouldn't be allowed to be called 'universal'. Or 'One For All' for that matter. :|
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 114.50
Bank: 1,147,583.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:06 pm
My dealings with universal remotes are the same as yours.

The claim that one remote for all is clearly an exaggeration.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Cash on hand: 13,518.00
Bank: 5,302,197.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:47 pm
I bought one for our old Sony Trinitron and it worked. Maybe they're better for the old TV's.
I also had one for the old VCR that worked too.
I haven't had to have one since all the TV's etc have been replaced.
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,161,656.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:00 pm
I bought a universal remote a couple of months back and i wish i didn't because it really doesn't work that well. I go to change a channel on my set top box and it changes my tv's AV channel as well. So i ditched it. I personally think they are a big waste of time and money.

Another thing i've noticed with the Foxtel remote in particular is after about 12 months they stop working (and yes i've changed the batteries) but they seem to lose signal or something with the box. Its a weird thing because i've gone through 4 remotes in 3 years. Luckily Foxtel (formerly Austar in my area) kept sending me a free one each time i complained about it instead of the so called $30 or something they say they charge for a replacement remote.
Cash on hand: 30,517.50
Bank: 2,195,898.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:11 am
greysfan wrote:Another thing i've noticed with the Foxtel remote in particular is after about 12 months they stop working.

Touch wood, I've been lucky with mine. Coming up to 5 years old next week and the only issue with it is the right arrow button takes a couple of pushes to "warm up". Once you've used it a couple of times though, it's fine.
That's good that they are replacing yours free.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:48 am
Well, I opted to send my One For All to get programmed. Sent it Wednesday, and Friday I got a different remote back in the mail :)

This one can also be used for Foxtel and DVD, must be what the techno guy said is a 'learning' remote. Anyway, it works! So I'm happy that I can now use all buttons and actually get to the channel I want (when the 9 button is trying to send me to channel 0 instead of 9 and the CH + and - buttons don't work, I can't get to channels 9, 90 or 99 at all with the old remote).

I'm hoping this universal remote will stay in working order for a good long while.

Greysfan, that's odd that you've had so many issues with Foxtel remotes. We've had the same one for more than three years and it still works.
The only issue is sometimes when I want to type in the numbers to get to a different channel - I press a number button and Foxtel switches itself off, though I haven't touched the on/off button. I thought that was not the remote, just Foxtel mixing up its signals.
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
Screen Actors Guild Winner
Cash on hand: 253.00
Bank: 0.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:23 am
Can I ask why did you have to send it off to programmed? It's easy to program yourself. :)

Return to Technology