From Analog to Digital: Antenna problems!

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:41 pm
How's that for DIY! Good going Rayne. :)

We're lucky the antenna guy was able to come to us on the same day we called him the first time, and the next time within a few days.

The massive channel drop-outs was due to something holding the antenna in place breaking. It then swivelled around so it was facing the wrong way. It might have been the weather that did it, says antenna guy.

This was fixed a while ago. Since then, ch 7, 7mate and 7two have been rock solid reliable, not dodgy like they were before.
Now just need to bring the guy back again to see why I still get no digital 10, Eleven or One. Luckily I can watch analog Ch10 in the meantime.
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 8,875.00
Bank: 731,152.00
Mood: Sad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:11 am
It seems to always be the Seven network that drops out for us. Every other channel is fine through set top box and PVR, TV can be a bit dodgy with Nine network and sometimes Ten. We've learned to adapt our watching/recording schedules - it's great that we can record 2 channels and watch a third through the PVR as long as one of those channels being recorded is a part of that network (e.g. record Ten and Nine and watch GEM or GO, ONE or ELEVEN) :<
The power of submission lies not in the ability to kneel before another, to give over one's body or in the wearing of a collar.
The power of submission can be found only in the heart of one who gives her love to another freely knowing what joy and pain will come of it - Roguer
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,161,656.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:58 am
More Prime problems. We have a brand spanking new Digital antenna and we still get so many problems. The antenna guy said Prime is like it in 90% of homes in this area. So i rang Prime to complain and they said they have been working on the issue. Not happy though because its been going on for months. :evil:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:53 am
We had someone come in and check the reception weekend before last. He said our signal varies a lot and the antenna needs upgrading (DUH I could have told him that!). He then went upstairs into the manhole and did something which completely f*&ked the reception through the TV :evil: although PVR and set top box were OK. This was on a Saturday :roll: so had to wait til the following Monday to ring co-op and complain.

Surprise surprise this morning I noticed the signal quality was better on the TV so did a full digital re-scan. All channels are now back (we didn't have SBS or Nine before) plus the Nine one I could get through PVR and set top box is now on the TV.

Looks like someone came and fixed it and we didn't know! Would have been nice of them to tell us, but Mr Rayne is now happy he will be able to watch the footy through the TV while I use all the recording devices! ooX
The power of submission lies not in the ability to kneel before another, to give over one's body or in the wearing of a collar.
The power of submission can be found only in the heart of one who gives her love to another freely knowing what joy and pain will come of it - Roguer
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,888.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:27 pm
Also I want to know why do the FTA channels insist on showing their sports on their SD stations?

It really bugged me to see Sri Lanka v India on GEM with the game in a crisp HD picture, whereas the games involving the Australia team was on SD on channel 9
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:59 pm
Rayne wrote:We had someone come in and check the reception weekend before last. He said our signal varies a lot and the antenna needs upgrading (DUH I could have told him that!). He then went upstairs into the manhole and did something which completely f*&ked the reception through the TV :evil: although PVR and set top box were OK. This was on a Saturday :roll: so had to wait til the following Monday to ring co-op and complain.

Surprise surprise this morning I noticed the signal quality was better on the TV so did a full digital re-scan. All channels are now back (we didn't have SBS or Nine before) plus the Nine one I could get through PVR and set top box is now on the TV.

Looks like someone came and fixed it and we didn't know! Would have been nice of them to tell us, but Mr Rayne is now happy he will be able to watch the footy through the TV while I use all the recording devices! ooX

Spoke too soon, back to pixellating and drop outs. Must have been the weather conditions....*sigh* :roll:

@CONDEMNED666
Also I want to know why do the FTA channels insist on showing their sports on their SD stations?

It really bugged me to see Sri Lanka v India on GEM with the game in a crisp HD picture, whereas the games involving the Australia team was on SD on channel 9

See above - I'm just happy to get a clear picture. I don't care if it's SD or HD (I don't see a lot of difference anyway to be honest).
Re the Australian games being shown on the main channel - I believe it's to do with the anti siphoning laws and the fact that even in 2012 not everyone has digital or HD reception yet. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! :)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:30 pm
Looks like we are finally getting our long awaited antenna upgrade on our building. Guys are here getting everything organised to get it done Monday/Tuesday next week. Hopefully no more pixellating/dropouts on any of our equipment - will make organising recording/watching shows a whole lot easier if we know we can definitely watch every channel on the TV O<>
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:15 pm
Job done. Had to re-scan the TV and a couple of networks (Seven and Nine) on PVR and set top box. All channels on TV are good as gold now.

However when I re-scanned Nine network on PVR I noticed that GEM kept switching to Nine. Suspicions that I'm picking up WIN as the frequency is slightly different on the PVR as opposed to STB or TV, so have gone back to the frequency I was using before. Quality is 99% but strength hovers around 82-84% - still good enough for a clear picture.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 pm
I'm going to be finally getting around to calling an antenna fixer person in to check why my TV doesn't get Eleven, One or digital Ten and why 7two and 7mate are only available some of the time.

I have reprogrammed my TV twice to see if it would help. The first go it barely picked up any digital channel. The next go it picked up all SBS channels, GO, GEM and digital 9, 7mate, 7two and digital 7, and TVS. No ch10, one, eleven or ABC channels.

Before, at least when I selected ch10, I'd get a lovely black screen and a message 'no signal'. Now I have no blank channels. Only the working ones.
I still have analog, bit fuzzy ch10 but watchable. The channels switched numbers with the last reprogramming but at least they're there.

Usually, if analog ch10 is very, very fuzzy it means digital signals are weak too, and I won't have a signal for 7two, mate or digi. If analog ch10 is having rather nice reception, then I know I've got a good chance my TV is picking up 7two, mate and digi.
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,161,656.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 am
Do you have a booster box on your tv? I find where i am that for some reason my antenna won't work without it. Mind you it seems you have been having problems for a while now. I just hope when they switch analogue off that the signal strengthens because at the moment there can be times where it just drops out and pixelates which drives me nuts.
PreviousNext

Return to Technology