From Analog to Digital: Antenna problems!

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:29 pm
Looks like we will be calling in an antenna/TV person and may need something done with our antenna cabling to fix my problem.

Some years ago the antenna was "spliced" and an extension cord added so as to recieve TV in my room downstairs.

This worked all fine for analog TV.

But when I added a set top box, all the TV got was digital ch 9, GO!, Gem, all SBS channels, SBS radio and TVS. None of the channels from Seven or Ten.

So I unplugged the set top box and made do with analog.

I was told that maybe an actual digital TV would be able to "pick up the signals" better and hence I'd get all channels.

Today I found out that is not so :| .

Plugged in my new digital TV, it did a search and found the same channels the set top box did and once again NO channels from Seven or Ten.

So I've packed the digital TV back up for now and re-installed my analog TV, til we get someone in to have a look.

The other TV in the house has all digital channels, it's got to be something with the antenna cord, its reach not being far enough, the signals not strong enough?

A curiosity I noticed as I unplugged the old TV: it did not appear to be plugged into the DVD player in any way. Just to the power board and the antenna. Just checked and I can still watch DVDs using the DVD player even though all I plugged back into the TV was the power cord and the antenna.
So how does that work then? I thought there would have had to be a connection between TV and DVD player :?
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 8,925.00
Bank: 731,152.00
Mood: Sad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:47 pm
I can't get any of the Nine network on our new TV but can through the PVR and set top box. The Ten network is dodgy a lot of the time but again fine through the PVR and set top box. All other channels are fine.

We had to get an amplifier put on our antenna connection a few months ago when the Seven network crapped out on us. We couldn't get it through anything :roll: We live in a block of 8 units run by a housing co-op. Trying to get anything done through them is a huge pain in the butt.

I suspect we need a new antenna for the building. It's still got the original one from 1997 :roll: The analogue signal is pathetic. Nine is about the only watchable one and that's only used in desperation.
The power of submission lies not in the ability to kneel before another, to give over one's body or in the wearing of a collar.
The power of submission can be found only in the heart of one who gives her love to another freely knowing what joy and pain will come of it - Roguer
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,161,656.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:41 pm
Around here Prime7 keeps disappearing. I woke up this morning and my MystarHD does a reset every morning to update the epg and Prime7 was no where to be seen. Its pathetic really. We have had our Antenna and all our wires fixed because it is an old house and it is really really bad. Something needs to be done about it. I ring and complain and all they do is apologise for any inconvenience and thanks for letting us know. Yeah right. I watch a lot of programs on this channel and last night i couldn't watch Winners and Losers because all i got was a checkerboard screen all night long. :evil:
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:59 pm
Hmmm, it does seem a lot of people are having issues with digital channel signals - I've seen letters in the papers complaining of such and have several friends/family that have experienced things like pixellation and sound bites dropping out during minimal wind or rain, even those living close to Sydney.

Aldi has a TV signal thing on special this week, some sort of box that attaches to the antenna and, according to the blurb, is supposed to improve digital TV signals. I wonder thought if it would also help receive lost channels, like 7 and 10 for my TV.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:07 pm
Update: We can now get the Nine network on our TV (suddenly appeared the other day :roll: ) but it drops out and pixilates - signal quality varies enormously. The Ten network is the same.
I tried manually tuning the frequency the PVR has picked up but it can't or won't get it. It's a little frustrating but we can watch most things through the twin tuner PVR or the set top box attached to the VCR.
The power of submission lies not in the ability to kneel before another, to give over one's body or in the wearing of a collar.
The power of submission can be found only in the heart of one who gives her love to another freely knowing what joy and pain will come of it - Roguer
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:25 pm
We've now had a new digital antenna installed, and the old analog one removed. A new cable has been run to my TV and now I am able to revceive most digital channels.

I say "most" because Channels 7, 7Two, 7mate and all ABC channels only like to visit my TV on the odd occasion.

First they and all Ch10 channels vanished for about one day, giving me a black screen with "no signal" message. The TV guy came and of course by the time he came the channels had returned on their own.

I had about four days with no probs, but after that Ch7's signal started to be very unstable. It would be back for a day, then gone. Then back, then gone, then back but pixellated.

Today it's been about five days since Ch7, 7mate, 7Two & all ABCs were available.

I still get ATV (analog) signals, bit fuzzy but watchable. Can watch Ch7 there but no ABC strangely.

Anyway, I'm happy enough, those 'lost' channels will return when they feel like it I suppose. When you look at the big picture, TV issues are really only First World Problems, as I've heard it referred to. Piddly little problems that we in the First world worry about whilst millions in the Third world are starving.

EDIT: Hey Rayne, I reckon it's odd that you are having probs with Ch9 when on my TV, I find Ch9, GO and Gem are the most stable channels. The signal has not dropped out alltogether even once and rarely get pixellation.

Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,893.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:42 pm
I'd like to point out how awful everything looks when they transfer old footage from Analog - even if it was 2-3 years old onto Digital!

Some of the footage from the Tennis from the year 2007 seemed more like 1963 so badly do things look dated

Also recording stuff on digital / HD is no good at the moment because the instant HD is recorded, it looks Ugly!
You can see how bad things look through recording digital via replays they show for the footy sometimes, ie "that SO happened an hour and a half ago"

*making no sense*
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:59 pm
Well, I've had to call the TV guy and am waiting on a call back.

Seven and Ten have both been gone for a few weeks, but I was able to view them on analog. Til a few days ago when analog Ten vanished, and ch7 and 9 became a lot fuzzier than normal.

Re-tuned my TV yesterday and it picked up all of 3 channels, none of them digital. It's the weather, a family member suggested, all that rain disturbs digital signals.

Re-tuned again this morning and this time it picked up 6 digital (all SBS channels and TVS) and handful of analog.

Analog now consists of very fuzzy ch9, TVS and a fuzzy and flickering ch7. Ten has vanished.

So yeah, so much for the shiny new digital antenna! :|

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:39 pm
And the powers-that-be want us all to switch to digital in the next couple of years? :roll: They better get their act together re the reception problems before that happens or there's going to be a lot of very unhappy people around :evil:

I can't believe that in a major city like Sydney so many people can't get good reception. I come from rural NZ and I'm used to terrible reception, it comes with the territory. But I would have expected that it would be a lot better here.

We are still waiting for someone to come and check the antenna.....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:06 pm
Last weekend the Seven Network started to pixellate and drop out occasionally. So I've done a manual scan on the set top box and PVR which were on a different frequency to the good reception we get on the TV. Voila - 99% strength and quality on all Seven Network channels. Go me!! :D

Still waiting for the antenna to be checked though! :evil:
Next

Return to Technology