The Video Store Is Dead!

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 547,683.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:06 am
Video Stores may really have to modernise, including diversify. Quick Flix and what not - they deliver to houses. Maybe Video Stores could cut into that market too. Not unlike Pizza - have your store, but you can deliver or mail to homes too, and they can return via mail or in person, too.

Also, enhance their 'on-line' capabilities much further, so again, like these Quick Flix and what not sites - Have it so people can 'order' their DVD/Bu-Ray/Game rentals on-line and they can pick up in-store, or have it delivered.

I notice cinemas have 'ticket kiosks' too. Supermarkets like Coles, Woolworths and Big W have 'self-serve,' and eftpos machines those convenient paywave cards (Like this annoying, but effective ad, conveys):

- Video Stores could easily do this too - that way again - some customers may prefer to by-pass the counter and just check in and out themselves.

Some of these methods could enhance the 'loyalty' card system too - Pizza and co do this too. All kinds of loyalty and discounts, incentives. If you order on-line, it's cheaper or what not.

Mind you, as people have been saying, the DVD rentals were already getting quite cheap, compared to old days, but that was to compete with on-line. I guess on-line equivalents, like Itunes, NetFlix or what not even work in 'cents' not dollars, so again, have incentives for people who order rentals via on-line - like how ordering Pizzas on-line is cheaper.

And thinking of Pizza and take away again - they could even bundle, partner and offer packages and cross promotion in conjunction with the local Pizza outlet. When you order a Pizza, you can order a DVD too - The special Pizza + DVD meal deal Eagle Boys in conjunction with Video Ezy or something.

Some of this takes investment, to equip all outlets like this - but companies like Blockbuster and Video Ezy are big chains so should be able to afford it. And it's either this or die.
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:32 am
Cyborg wrote:there once was a time where you could go to any area 5-10 minutes away, and now people may struggle to find one.
Yes, and there are fewer public payphones, bank branches and so on. Let's not get too nostalgic, though, or worse, become Luddites. I prefer a phone in my pocket to using a payphone, no matter how close one happens to be, and I do almost all of my banking and bill paying online as a matter of preference as well.

As for video stores, not only is the web convenient, it also has a far greater range on offer. There are only two titles I have been unable to obtain: A CD of John Mayall's No more Interviews and a DVD of Johnathan Miller's The Body in Question. The reason for that is that neither have ever been produced, though I found the former available on vinyl and the latter on videotape (via e-bay, of course). I actually started buying stuff through the internet about 18 years ago because local stores could not even find a source to import what I wanted. After a bit of googling I found a supplier in California I never even heard of who had a copy of Nina Hagen's Unbehagen, and an equally obscure source in Bateman's Bay through which I got a copy of Morning of the Earth on tape.

I love second-hand bookshops, but they have similar limitations. A few months ago I resorted to buy a second-hand copy Of K.E. Boulding and T. Mukerjee's Economic Imperialism from Abe Books. I can't even remember where it came from now, although I'm certain it was somewhere overseas.

In short, the diminishing number of brick and mortar retail outlets is regrettable, but overall I prefer the situation as it is now to the one that applied in the past. My glass is half full. More than half full, come to think of it.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Cash on hand: 17,398.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 pm
not sure if you guys have heard of the Angry Video Game Nerd (Avgn) aka James Rolfe but he an a couple of friends discuss the video store and the experiences they had. I agree that it's much better to go and physically pick up a copy instead of say scroll down a page.

I see no point in red box type machines, it's not like they are gonna have every single movie available in them, unlike video stores do. going to the video store was an outing, now you can do it from home which is easier and quicker but it's just not the same.

I actually just saw a red box type machine with Video Ezy as the company the other day, made me depressed. It might be ok to have them but to have them instead of a video store, now that's just crazy. if they still had video stores and had those machines near a certain store to use for after closing hours like at a petrol station or outside said store itself that would be better. you could scan your card and it would have the same function, but say the machine could have the latest 50 releases or something.

I see people on YouTube gave VHS collections, set up like a video store.
that just shows people don't want to see the video store die.
Cash on hand: 30,562.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:48 pm
I was in the vicinity so decided to check out my Video2000 store today (haven't darkened their door for at least a year).
They are gone. No sign of where to, so probably just gone for good. That leaves only one VideoEzy store.
Cash on hand: 13,665.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:52 pm
The little one up the road from us has miraculously stayed alive. I thought they'd have definitely disappeared by now; in fact a shop at the high street closed down not long ago and a new video/DVD shop opened, so they're still happening.

At the local Westfield they have those DVD vending machines.
Cash on hand: 17,398.30
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 pm
yeah that's where I saw the vending machine I mentioned, interesting idea but its only new releases.

that's where video stores alway comes in handy.... for every movie ever created, not just the new stuff.

Cash on hand: 108,414.30
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:18 pm
i've also seen those DVD Vending Machines at the Westfields, and at smaller shopping centres near my place. I don't like them.

Sadly, more and more video stores (along with music stores and book stores) are also closing around me too.

Cash on hand: 108,414.30
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:19 pm
although not really related to the video store, but i'll put it in here instead:

My small local suburban Cinema Complex will be soon to be demolished to make way for apartments (as residential, and with a handful of retail spaces). However, it was closed down in 2004, and has remained empty until scaffolding went up early last week.

It's a shame that suburban cinemas are closing down (and larger chains ''taking over'').

TV Watcher
Cash on hand: 57.50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:51 pm
I believe there is a place for a store distribution of Video Content, just that there hasn't been a applicable solution yet that is both pragmatic and economically viable.

Since video content can be stored digitally, I see no reason why a video store would even need DVD's/Blu-Ray to lend, in which where a video is unavailable they cannot lend it.

If there was a way for a video store to copy time-sensitive content onto distribution mediums such as a blank DVD or USB drive and distribute them to a customer, I believe that could be a sustainable model.

The content would expire after a set period of time for the device and the user may have an option to return the hard copy medium or renew it digitally, providing they have Internet access.

Basically, a video rental place would become merely a hub of content that you could physically visit, receive customer service and suggest titles to them.
'Live on Bowen' is a weekly variety show broadcasting live on Channel 31, Melbourne.
http://liveonbowen.com
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:38 pm
I think what needs to be done is more convenience stores (be it the 7 eleven or the local iga) make the latest releases available for rental instead of those depressing libraries

Ok, so a few oldies might get forgotten (especially when its christmas, and you might want to watch the best movies that came out earlier in the year), but its a better system than the whole hoarding of piles and piles of dvds

Also the dvd vending machine (i've seen in plenty of malls and shopping centres) might be the way to go for people who dont want to stream (or download) something
PreviousNext

Return to Technology