The Video Store Is Dead!

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,398.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:43 pm
sorry to say, but in a few years I predict all video rental stores to be gone. I have noticed lately a lot of the video stores I knew of in Adelaide/SA are now gone, I lately noticed that they would slim down the video stores near me which I hated but now it seems even the smaller stores are out of business. hell, even dvd stores like Ezydvd are starting to vanish real quick!

anyone noticed this in your area/s?

Blockbuster are the only ones that are still standing but one I knew of was there before in Port Adelaide was gone. was in the area the other day, there was a big sign saying closing down sale or something but when I got closer it was too late and they even had a big bin out the front of it. theres a small blockbuster near my work but there was another not too far away which closed and they had sent the dvd's they had to the other store to sell. theres a huge Atlantic DVD near me which Im sure will stay for a bit, as well as another I've been to before, there also used to be many Video Ezy's around but yet another near me was closed down, and I had been there a couple of months ago but now is empty. some video ezy's have even changed their names, one changed it to 'movie nights'.

I don't really 'rent' as much movies as I used to back in the day, I mostly buy ex-rentals but still is pretty sad to see this happen. in 10 years the teens won't even know what a video store is! I had fond memories growing up visiting video stores hiring movies we now call classics today, taking home huge ass vhs boxes.

video stores will be hard to find soon, its all got to do with competition. people can early gain access to movies without ever leaving their homes. like renting through Tivo, Xbox 360 and even PS3. and soon there will be rental vending machines like they have in the US.

sad times :(
Cash on hand: 30,562.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:58 am
Cyborg wrote:... and soon there will be rental vending machines like they have in the US.

The one machine I have ever seen around here got drowned in the floods last year. The coke machine got replaced, but not the dvd hire machine.

The 2 hire stores closest to me have been there for years and continue on. The one I use keeps sending me "We've missed you" letters begging me to come and spend money there. I'm a lousy customer though - because I don't get to town every day I can't hire overnights/new releases so only get the weekly hires when they are $1-2 each. :|

EZYDVD didn't last long around Canberra - it's too easy to buy new stuff for much less $ at BigW, or online for anything else.
Cash on hand: 9,432.50
Bank: 804,267.00
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 am
I don't rent or buy DVDs, I have enough recorded on the PVR to keep me amused. If I want DVDs I can go to my local library where I can have them for free (which I probably will when my daughter is here for a month!) and for three weeks before I need to renew or return them.
The power of submission lies not in the ability to kneel before another, to give over one's body or in the wearing of a collar.
The power of submission can be found only in the heart of one who gives her love to another freely knowing what joy and pain will come of it - Roguer
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:55 am
Cyborg wrote:sorry to say, but in a few years I predict all video rental stores to be gone.

Just like radio killed the newspapers.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Cash on hand: 13,665.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:50 pm
There are a couple of DVD vending machines in the shopping centers here, but our local old Video shop seems to be pretty active still.
We hire DVD's now and again.
Screen Actors Guild Winner
Cash on hand: 253.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:28 pm
I've noticed that my local video store has just lost a few of it's customers base, and hardly anyone goes in there anymore. There are some DVD vending machines popping up in Perth too.

Renting DVDS is old news :) for me.
Oh and going to the library to get dvds out for free, is always good alternative if you want to buy :)
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:31 am
Haven't rented a movie in about 5 years or so... I've pretty much bought everything I like, and if I really want to watch something I haven't seen... I'll acquire it... err... somehow...

I like the idea of those DVD vending machines though... seen plenty of them around in front of supermarkets and shopping centres... how could a rental store compete with a box! lol

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 1,350.70
Bank: 629,402.00
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:55 am
Have not rented from my old local store since 2007, i have however still gone to a few around my local area and purchased an ex-rental as well as new titles here and there (also extends to some video games!).

In the 90's, i would mainly goto the videoshop during school holiday periods and some weekends where i would hire out a Nintendo game to play. In the early 2000's, i didn't rent as much.... but from 2004 - 2007 i rented dvds almost weekly (sometimes i would go with 7 day movies, other times it would over night or 3 night releases), this was when i was very cautious with buying dvds, i'd only buy the one's i REALLY wanted, and would rent the others.

I stopped doing it in 2007 as i was less careful with dvd purchasing (and yes i have purchased some dud movies that i regret buying later on, which would get onsold to someone else :P). I have been very good over the last 2 years though, where i didn't regret any of my purchases in that time.

Seems a silly thing to do, but i was unhappy with the quality of the rental discs, over how they required cleaning and such. I'm a bit of a freak with my own dvd, cd and video game collection (in that the majority are scratch, dust and mark free).... i didn't want to put other dirty discs in any of my dvd players. Even some of their new releases at the time (barely 5 days old), looked like they had been watched 30497234097 times.
Cash on hand: 17,398.30
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:52 am
speaking of video stores now disappearing, this Aussie Youtuber has made a video on the subject -

it is quite sad, I too have fond memories going to video stores as a kid back in the 80's and 90's.

kids and teens growing up now won't ever have the same feeling and memories we did.

RIP :cry:
Hollywood Supporting Cast
Cash on hand: 27.50
Bank: 1,268,838.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:21 pm
R.I.P. O<> :< O<>
Next

Return to Technology