The Video Store Is Dead!

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,128.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:42 pm
It's getting much easier to get/watch movies so it does make sense that video stores are phasing away.

you have Netflix/Quickflix, streaming and downloading though many devises like - PVR's/Tivo, Xbox & Playstation, Rental machines and such? but don't forget back in the day the internet wasn't what is was today and slower, so video stores existing made sense. but now you don't even need to leave the house, as long as you have the net at home.

I prefer to physically go travel to a video store and browse though the isles, rather then scroll through pages of new movies. but let's face it, those rental machines aren't gonna contain the classics and not the old movies. online rentals may have some 'select' old releases but not all of them, unlike video stores which have them ALL. the machines just have new releases, so what if say I'm on a 80s movies mood and I come across one of those machines? I would not find any on it and would have to settle for something new, because the machines won't have anything past a year or two.

they would have to create a machine that you can get any movie and every movie ever made where once selected it burns it for cheap and pops out like the ones we have now but instead of returning it to the machine, it has a week expire date which u would throw out when done. now that would be cool, it would be like a database type of machine. just search, pay and take home.

anyway, speaking of video stores... apparently every single Blockbuster in America has closed or is closing forever!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,913.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:21 am
It doesnt help when some of the dvds are cheaper to buy at JB Hifi than it is to rent at Blockbuster/ Civic

But yes, a few less jobs for a few less jobs for high school kids to work behind a counter, the aisles and aisles of dvds can be intimidating for anyone who works at a video store
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:54 pm
I stopped by 3 Blockbusters that I usually would go for a browse only to find 1 had already shut down, 1 other was almost shut down with not many ex rentals for sale left and another has 1 more week left.

there are 3 left in my area which are 10-20 minutes away each, my guess is they won't be around next year.

It's really sad to see them go in general, even though I haven't rented in years. those rental machines are a easier way to get movies but they are only new releases, what if you want to watch an old classic?! I have one near me, a video ezy one which is only $4 overnight which ain't too bad. video stores would have new releases for at least $3.

if you were to stream rent something on say Xbox or PlayStation or even Apple TV it would cost at least $6!!

no thank you, it doesn't make it any easier since I still have to leave my house to go to a rental machine.

it's funny, Back to the Future 2 (set in 2015) had no reference to a video store.

:shock: :?
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,913.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:49 pm
Check out this series by ABC Arts on the redundancy of a business created by evolving technology

Downloading is a curious and interesting problem?
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:05 pm
CONDEMNED666 wrote:Check out this series by ABC Arts on the redundancy of a business created by evolving technology

Downloading is a curious and interesting problem?

The article/TV series seems to focus on piracy. Here's a newsflash: Piracy has been around since before video stores even started appearing. We were recording films off the idiot box and copying each other's stuff as soon as affordable recorders became available. Even earlier, I remember connecting a reel to reel tape recorder to the radio to record the latest hits and greatest classics. Hallelujah, yeah, yeah yeah!

If piracy via the internet was such a killer how come the pay per view sites are profitable? Fact is, new technologies displace old-time businesses. Dinosaurs like video sales and rental stores are not the first lot to die and they won't be the last. Petrol stations replaced bulk stock feed outlets decades before most of us were born. Now we have internet cafes closing down because we can suck off so many wifi hotspots for free. Sad? Thought not..

People like Steve Georgiou and Derek de Vreught have two options: Adapt or close the business down.

I do regret that Adelaide's best CD/DVD/BluRay shop closed its doors for the final time two and a half years ago. Here it is, already half empty, during its closing down sale:

Then again, I have not bought or rented a disc from a glass and brick shop for years, so I am one of the thousands of people responsible for their demise, as are most of you who cast a nostalgic eye at the good old days of shopping in them. I suppose we just tend to grow fond of old habits.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:51 pm
I worked with Derek de Vreught many years ago when I lived around the corner. Nice man. But I'm surprised he's still keeping that rental store open today, even with all the changes going on in Swan Street. If I still lived in Richmond I would still rent from Derek, very convenient for movies or TV/anime series I can't easily get online.

All the power to them but digital is the way to go these days.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]

Cash on hand: 108,389.30
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:38 pm
my local Video Ezy (which changed names to Network Video) recently has also closed down. They had a big closing down sale for a bout a week, selling their dvd's for virtually dirt cheap. They didn't have much stock when I went there, but was busy. They closed down about two weeks ago.

That I know of, I think there's only 1 video shop left in my area (within a 10-15 minute drive from my place). The others have closed its doors. There pretty much used to be close to one store per suburb. The store which is opened is about a 10 or so minute drive from my place, and its store size is about half the size of what it once was.

I don't mind JB-HI FI for local dvds. The 4 closest stores to me are around 25-30 minutes drive. But sadly, they don't have the same ring to as proper dvd/video stores. And yes, they do have cheap dvds. But still doesn't feel right.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:40 pm
the one thats closing near me has a few days left, although for the last couple of weeks they haven't been selling them all that cheap. weekly's are $5 each or 5 for 20, bout to head out there again to see if they are cheaper and whats left. the guy there was giving away shelves, dvd cases and some other stuff. what ever is left over they will send to another Blockbuster. there is only 2 Video Ezy's left within 45 mins of me... assuming they are still open.. haven't checked.

EDIT: got back from Blockbuster that has a few days left. now their weekly special is 10 for $20.

$5 each for new releases, a week ago it was $10 each.
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,279,451.00
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:01 pm
My parents still use the local video store all the time.

My Wife and I laugh whenever my Mum says she is going to the Video shop to get a nice movie, hopefully romantic comedy!

My parents also use the library, libraries these days can get any movie in you request if you are willing to wait.

TV Watcher
Cash on hand: 52.50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Hello to everybody. I'm from Florence Italy and I'm a vhs collector. I'm looking for someone in your country who can help me to track down some Australian vhs in italian language that were released in the 80's and 90's for Italian emigrants living there on labels like WFD etc. Please it's important as I'm also writing a book on this subject. The Italian video distribution in Australia was mainly made by people like Carmine Palumbo and De Matteis. Please do your utmost. EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED

MOD SQUAD NOTE: If you can assist with this request please message the user
Last edited by The_Admiral on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Email address removed by Administrator
Previous

Return to Technology