Wondering if someone might be able to Help!

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!

Survivor Contestant
Cash on hand: 157.50
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:58 pm
OK This is a weird problem I have.

I can't scroll down either with a mouse or with the keyboard without the screen jumping back up to the top.

It doesn't happen in Firefox or any web browser just in the Windows windows like when I'm looking at files or similar. It also won't allow me to rename a file, I right click and press rename and (I'm guessing) because of this scroll problem it automatically goes back to a normal title that I can't edit.

Another example would be when I was trying to install a program and it has the multiple selection boxes it always automatically goes to the first option no matter what the standard default is.

Also can't open the history in the address bar in web browsers.

All seems very weird and I've tried googling but it's hard to know what to actually search for.

Any help very much appreciated.
Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 7,220.40
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:21 pm
It sounds like either your Keyboard or Mouse is faulty. Its possible your mouse / keyboard is "pressed down" e.g. the arrow key is catching or the mouse's wheel is catching. My advice would be to disconnect one of them (say your keyboard) and then try it . . . if it doesn't happen you know its the keyboard (and vise versa). Once you identify whether its the mouse or keyboard you can then look at it and see where the problem may be it (e.g. your keyboard might need a clean - dirt buildup) . . . . and whether you need to purchase a new one.

Good Luck!

Survivor Contestant
Cash on hand: 157.50
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:27 pm
It's actually a laptop so can't disconnect my keyboard etc :(
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 135.00
Bank: 1,877,229.20
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Yeah, it could be a "stuck" key. I would try kind-of lifting up the arrow keys.
Enjoy a challenge, visit the following thread and see if you can join the High IQ Society
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:34 pm
Yeah that sure sounds like a stuck key. I used to work on laptops when i was doing my traineeship. We got a few of those come in and it was either a faulty mousepad or the key was sticking. Sometimes its as simple as popping the key out and then putting it back into place but that was on older laptops. A lot of laptops these days have a full keyboard, aka a keyboard which is in one piece, so you have to remove the whole thing and replace, which i only recommend a professional doing.

Return to Technology