3D TV

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:54 pm
If its in all TV's eventually, that could be fine. Like how mobile phones have GPS and cameras, 3D is just one of things that would be handy to have just in case but you dont really need...

I think its just annoying now that they are the focal selling point of these new sets that is really silly, mostly because there isn't even enough viable content to make use of the technology for the price tag.

TV Watcher
Cash on hand: 52.50
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:50 am
The 3D TV is one of the most awaited entertainment gadgets this year. The Samsung has been released there model of the 3D TV.
Cash on hand: 9,262.50
Bank: 804,267.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:14 pm
lizzyjakers wrote:The 3D TV is one of the most awaited entertainment gadgets this year. The Samsung has been released there model of the 3D TV.

My question is, why? Why bother with 3D TV? I've only upgraded my TV and recording equipment because the analogue signal is going to be switched off, and new channels are only being broadcast in digital now.

3D anything is what - a better picture. Big deal. I'm quite happy watching a show in standard definition. I don't NEED fancy gadgets just for the sake of having them. My mobile phone has a camera and internet access. Guess what - I don't use them, I use the phone to make calls and send texts and not that many of those either. I have a perfectly good digital camera and computer for pics and internet use.

I'd rather save the thousands of dollars a new 3D TV is going to cost and put it towards something I really need.[/end rant]
The power of submission lies not in the ability to kneel before another, to give over one's body or in the wearing of a collar.
The power of submission can be found only in the heart of one who gives her love to another freely knowing what joy and pain will come of it - Roguer

Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:45 pm
It really is being marketed to the sporting crowd, what with the Blues Origin side appearing at the local Harvey Norman last night in a big promotional thing.

What a double whammy! I can't be bothered with State of Origin and I hate Harvey Norman and won't have anything to do with them!

For me it is like the iPad - even if you wanted one why would you buy 1st gen tech? Let them iron all the bugs out and then introduce new and improved. I think predictions that it will be the most popular tech item this year is just Harvey Norman promo talking - as Rayne says trying to persuade you to get something that you don't really need. For something to be must have you'd have to have it reasonably affordable. As for highly anticipated, to my mind the sets came from nowhere so there were't midnight openings that I can recall.

Also dubious about health reviews... all the platforms have warnings for epileptics and people that suffer dizzy spells.
Game Show Host
Cash on hand: 637.50
Bank: 809,249.70
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:20 am
The problem with 3D tv as mentioned before is the lack of available material to use with them, and I wouldn't hold my breath for Free to air tv showing much... The bandwidth it will require to broadcast is well beyond what the channels will have available with all the multi channels going on... Channel 9 have had to apply to the government to get extra bandwidth on a one off agreement to be able to show the up coming NRL game in 3D! Can't see the government being so accommodating when all the channels start trying to do the same..

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:03 am
Opinion piece from SMH this morning by Michael Idato
Dawning of a new dimension

Ladies and gentlemen, put on your stereoscopic goggles and welcome to television... in the third dimension. That last bit should be said in a booming voice for effect.

The pay TV channel Fox Sports will tonight stretch the pre-World Cup friendly match between the Socceroos and New Zealand at the MCG into 3D, the first so-called “active” 3D telecast in Australian television.

If it all sound premature, it probably is. Samsung is the only manufacturer of 3D-ready TVs in the market, though LG is poised to launch two models, with Panasonic and Sony not far behind. But tonight’s broadcast, and the fanfare associated with it, is as much about staking Foxtel’s claim as a technological innovator as it is with giving sports fans a new way of watching elite sport on TV.

Free-to-air television will follow on Wednesday night, when Channel Nine airs the first of three State of Origin matches in 3D. Similarly for Nine it is as much about flexing the muscles of TV’s future as it is about seeing sport in three dimensions instead of two.

It should be acknowledged that it is, in part, driven by the retail industry’s desire to push 3D-ready flat-screen TV’s out of stores and into homes but, to their credit, free to air networks are embracing 3D with much more enthusiasm than they embraced digital TV when it launched a decade ago.

In truth, 3D television isn’t likely to become a dominating presence in broadcasting any time soon. As (the excellent) Avatar and (the awful) Clash of the Titans demonstrated, God did not create all 3D techniques equally and for every masterpiece there will be a clumsy attempt that ends in bitter disappointment.

But broadcasters should be applauded for trying to deliver audiences an enhanced package of program material. It has been a long time coming.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:36 pm
Reckon anecdotally that it wasn't the success Harvey Norman thought it would be :mrgreen:

Harvey Norman full year sales flat

RETAILER Harvey Norman Holdings reported flat sales for the year with an increase of 0.8 per cent.

Sales for the 12 months to June 30 rose to $6.08 billion from $6.03 billion a year earlier.

Like-for-like sales for the year for Harvey Norman's franchised complexes, commercial divisions and other sales outlets in Australia, New Zealand, Slovenia and Ireland increased 0.2 per cent over the year.

The company said that it needed to be noted that its sales data had been negatively affected by a deterioration in foreign currencies.

The New Zealand dollar had fallen 2.1 per cent, the Euro deteriorated 17.3 per cent and the UK pound had fallen 20.9 per cent.

"Under constant currency New Zealand and Slovenia had a positive quarter due to improving conditions," the company said in a statement.

"Ireland continues to be close to line ball with last year."

Harvey Norman said retail indicators showed a sharp decline in household disposable income and consumer sentiment for the last quarter.

Sales in electricals had softened and computer sales had weakened.

Furniture and bedding, however, continued to take market share, it said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/busine ... 5897036488
Neighbours Extra
Cash on hand: 112.50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:33 pm
The Panasonic 3D Plasma has to be the best demonstration I've seen so far
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 3,802.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:31 am
I never thought I'd say this but I'm actually thinking of buying a 3D TV this weekend.

I was totally set on getting a samsung 46'' LED LCD but after seeing the Panasonic Viera TH-P50VT20A I'm having a change of heart.

http://www.cnet.com.au/videos/panasonic ... 508010.htm

It's not that I want to watch anything in 3D, it's just that it seems to be a really good 2D Tv, it's in the right price range and ticks all my other boxes.

Has anyone heard much about them? I've been set on the idea that because the room my TV is in is fairly bright I HAVE to get an LCD but I'm starting to sway!

At least I would have the option of watching 3d if I wanted too, I know my daughter would love it :)
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer"
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 3,802.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:33 am
ETA - I should add that it's a LOT cheaper now than it says it is in the video :lol:

ETA (again) - one day later I've changed my mind! :lol: The non-3d version of this is about $700-$800 cheaper and comes with a Blu-ray player that's IN STORE :shock: , so I don't have to worry about sending away for anything :)

Thats my 3d adventure over (for now lol).
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer"
PreviousNext

Return to Technology