Windows 8 [2012] Phone/Tablet/PC/Xbox

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 159.50
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:55 pm
Sorry I had forgotten about this thread.

I will take some screencaps for you all.

My overall impression is that to be honest if you have a touch screen then it will be brilliant for the average user.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Cash on hand: 13,593.00
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 pm
I only got win 7 last year! :?
Secret Life Extra
Cash on hand: 60.00
Bank: 187,927.50
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:01 am
Touch screen for Windows 8? Are they kidding. Looks like they will make you pay for a new screen as well. Microsoft at its very best :roll:

Windows is for losers. Apple all the way :P

Please take no offence on this comment. Just having a joke. However its true. The average windows computer needs to be formatted at least once a year. Its an ugly system that has too many holes. Too many people trying to kill your computer and well Apple is so much safer 8-)
Bones - The Greatest Show on EARTH!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:33 am
martin wrote:Windows is for losers. Apple all the way ... its true. The average windows computer needs to be formatted at least once a year. Its an ugly system that has too many holes. Too many people trying to kill your computer and well Apple is so much safer
An apple crusader. You beauty.

Martin, why don't you start a thread on that topic? Maybe we even have one already. I don't care enough about that childish argument to search it out for you. I haven't rebooted my Linux server since I set it up 18 months ago, and I never had to reformat a hard disc of any of my Micro$oft Windows® units in the 22 years I've owned computers.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Screen Actors Guild Winner
Cash on hand: 253.00
Bank: 0.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:32 pm
martin wrote:Touch screen for Windows 8? Are they kidding. Looks like they will make you pay for a new screen as well. Microsoft at its very best :roll:

Windows is for losers. Apple all the way :P

Please take no offence on this comment. Just having a joke. However its true. The average windows computer needs to be formatted at least once a year. Its an ugly system that has too many holes. Too many people trying to kill your computer and well Apple is so much safer 8-)

LOL Hey I use a Mac, but I still use Windows for most of my multimedia stuff though. I'm just using best of both worlds. :) So really both all the way :p
Cash on hand: 159.50
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:19 pm
Fringedweller wrote:
martin wrote:Windows is for losers. Apple all the way ... its true. The average windows computer needs to be formatted at least once a year. Its an ugly system that has too many holes. Too many people trying to kill your computer and well Apple is so much safer
An apple crusader. You beauty.

Martin, why don't you start a thread on that topic? Maybe we even have one already. I don't care enough about that childish argument to search it out for you. I haven't rebooted my Linux server since I set it up 18 months ago, and I never had to reformat a hard disc of any of my Micro$oft Windows® units in the 22 years I've owned computers.

I know people who format their windows pc every year but as an IT professional it is absolutely not necessary to reformat a windows PC ... I have never reformatted a windows PC unless even if I am upgrading OS I still find no reason to reformat.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Secret Life Extra
Cash on hand: 60.00
Bank: 187,927.50
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:57 pm
Yeah fair point Admiral. I just find that Windows is a whole lot of hassle where as Macs are not.

Touch screen for an operating system though sounds weird but i guess that is where technology is going.
Bones - The Greatest Show on EARTH!

Survivor Contestant
Cash on hand: 152.50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:08 am
Its look awesome i am eagerly waiting for the launch of windows 8
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:42 pm
I changed the title of the thread to express how Windows 8 will be integrated into all these technologies. ;)

Redmond Pie wrote:Windows 8 Development Reportedly Set To End In Summer, Launching This October

Once upon a time when discussing operating systems, Windows would have been at the top of every person’s list and while it is still the world’s most recognizable OS, it has suffered a fall from greatness in recent years. With the whirlwind resurgence of Apple over the last decade, the company’s products and software have become some of the most talked about in the technology world, with Mac OS X benefitting from a rise in popularity, stealing the thunder from Microsoft.

Over the last couple of years we have seen a huge shift in the market, with the public showing that they are ready to adopt smartphones and tablet PCs as their main computing devices, leaving Microsoft to rethink their strategy. The introduction of Windows 8 is Microsoft’s answer to this change in trends, with the Redmond company hoping that the radically redesigned operating system will allow them to compete with Apple and Google across the desktop PC and tablet markets.

From what we have seen so far at the Mobile World Congress and from the official Consumer Preview of Windows 8, the software looks like it will be extremely popular and has already gained a huge fan base who are eagerly awaiting the official launch of the finished product. There has been no official word from Microsoft about when that launch will come, but Bloomberg are today citing sources who are familiar with the proposed schedule, claiming that Microsoft will finish development of Windows 8 this summer with the public likely to see a full and final release by October this year.

If this report is accurate, an October launch would come exactly three years after the launch of Microsoft’s current Windows 7 OS. Janelle Poole, who is Director of Windows Public Relations has also been quoted as saying that they were keen to keep their "every three years" schedule, bringing further support to the October 2012 claim. A launch in October would more than likely prove to be good business for Microsoft, allowing them to capitalize on the holiday shoppers who may just have that latest Windows 8 tablet or laptop in mind for a loved one.

Bloomberg are also reporting that the initial launch of Windows 8 will see compatibility for devices and machines that are running Intel and ARM chips, bringing to an end any concerns that the company might not be supporting both standards from the get-go. Even though both chipsets will be supported, it looks as though the launch could see as little as five machines being available which feature an ARM chip, compared to over forty Intel powered devices. We have had no official word from Microsoft about the Windows 8 launch, but we will be sure to bring any more information as it comes in.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:03 pm
Neowin wrote:Microsoft creates guide to help move iOS apps to Win 8

Microsoft knows that it is entering the tablet market late and because of that it needs to help developers migrate from existing platforms to their own. The natural target for this would be iOS as that segment has the largest market share and the developer community that Microsoft hopes to tap.

To that end, Microsoft has put together a guide to help developers migrate from iOS to their Windows 8 environment. The post can be found here (via Michael Gillett) and we have included some of the highlights below.

The general gist of the post is that iOS and Windows 8 accomplish the same task with different perspectives. For this, Microsoft created a comprehensive guide to break down each feature and show how iPad functionality is performed within Windows 8.

The application used for the walkthrough purposes is a photo journal that allows the end user to view and manages their photos online within a timeline. There are several areas that Microsoft focuses on such as search, content manipulation, navigation, and gesture support.

It should not surprise you that Microsoft also sneaks in a few reasons why Windows 8 is better than iOS for applications and it also shows in their images with what is noticeably larger screen than the 9.7in iPad. Of course, you have to remember that iOS is purely a mobile OS whereas Windows 8 is both a desktop and tablet OS.

If you are a Windows 8 developer and have previously worked with iOS, the guide should prove to be valuable in drawing parallels between the two platforms to better optimize your application and improve workflow.

PreviousNext

Return to Technology