Back To Dial Up

Chat about anything Tech related. Digital TV, the Internet, Programs, Camera's, Phones, Ipod's and more!
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 42.50
Bank: 2.50
Mood: in a huff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:03 pm
I've just moved to a place which has no broadband available in this area, and also no wireless 7.2 coverage and minimal mobile phone coverage. My calender says it's January 4th 2010 so why the heck am I going back to dial up??

Does anyone else have dial up for this reason?

It sucks that people still have the attitude to pay out dial up users when they have no other option. I spent two days calling around and having someone with Internet connection researching for me over the phone, but there is no other option. Some background info - I just moved over the other side of the bush from the exchange and since we have bought this place, I won't be moving any time soon... The last place I lived in which is 5 mins away had BB1 with 7ish mbit d/l speed. I called a local computer repair man who knew exactly where I moved to without me telling him the street name. He told me it's a black spot zone or something... :cry:
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:55 pm
That's bad luck. I wouldn't pay out dial up users who have no choice... my uncle still uses dial up when he could easily get broadband/adsl even but chooses not to because he's happy with what he gets. :? That is ridiculous.
Cash on hand: 302.60
Bank: 2,763,819.00
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:42 pm
[quote:f79d77fe15="Pinball"]I've just moved to a place which has no broadband available in this area, and also no wireless 7.2 coverage and minimal mobile phone coverage. My calender says it's January 4th 2010 so why the heck am I going back to dial up??

[/quote:f79d77fe15]

I actually think that access to Broadband (or lack of it) should be a compulsory disclosure on real estate contracts these days. We all expect it to be the case so rarely ask the question when considering buying. Too late after the contracts are signed and you move in.
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:22 pm
Go to these sites pinball:

http://www.activ8me.net.au/

http://www.ruralbroadband.com.au/

You can get free setup on satellite broadband if you can only get dialup. My uncle has it. Dont know what the plans are like but it would sure beat dialup. You should automatically qualify.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 42.50
Bank: 2.50
Mood: in a huff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:51 pm
Jay - yes it seems there are people who use it by choice. If I didn't have a brand new router I probably wouldn't have freaked out initially.

OJ - very good point! My mum bought the place and this was one of the smaller issues to her. Lucky she rarely uses the internet, but I'm sure she would have wanted to know about the deal with having no mobile phone reception. Happy to say I'm moving in out in a years time. :)

Greys - thanks but I'm going to leave it as I won't be living there this time next year. Every problem seems like the world has ended until we realise there are more important things to worry about. :)

Using dialup means I've spent less time on the net at home and I've learnt to be patient. :)
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 247.50
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:55 pm
I had a friend a couple of years ago that bought a place only to find that as it was in a low spot between two hills, he got REALLY bad TV reception. He joked that next time he was looking for a place to live, he'd take a TV with him to check.

It's funny how quickly we've come to expect certain amenities will be available everywhere.
I may be a geek, but it's one of my endearing qualities.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 97.50
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:40 pm
[quote:f4e8f0ad32="Pinball"]I've just moved to a place which has no broadband available in this area, and also no wireless 7.2 coverage and minimal mobile phone coverage. My calender says it's January 4th 2010 so why the heck am I going back to dial up??

Does anyone else have dial up for this reason?

It sucks that people still have the attitude to pay out dial up users when they have no other option. I spent two days calling around and having someone with Internet connection researching for me over the phone, but there is no other option. Some background info - I just moved over the other side of the bush from the exchange and since we have bought this place, I won't be moving any time soon... The last place I lived in which is 5 mins away had BB1 with 7ish mbit d/l speed. I called a local computer repair man who knew exactly where I moved to without me telling him the street name. He told me it's a black spot zone or something... :cry:[/quote:f4e8f0ad32]

W o w. My brother is also complaining about his new place in Canberra where there is no broadband Internet connection to the house by Telstra, and if he wants it, it will cost him a few hundred dollars and take months to install.

Return to Technology