Conversations In Threads

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)

TVAus Rookie
Cash on hand: 2.50
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:10 pm
TVAus is becoming an extremely busy forum over the past few months and often people come online and stay on the board for hours on end. One thing that I and quite a few other people have noticed is the derailing of threads by two members. It occurs where a user posts a reply, then another user reponds to that and adds in a personal comment, from here the two users go off on a tangent for the next 20 minutes posting maybe 6 posts about some random off topic discussion.

For example.
[quote:8297d1f270]User 1: Yes I think that we should legalise gay marriage. God I am busy today.
User 2: User 1 why are you so busy today?
User 1: Just got all this study to do.
User 2: Is that for your uni course?
User 1: Yeah I have exams at the moment.
User 2: I hate exams.[/quote:8297d1f270]

Now this thread which was originally about gay marriages has been totally derailed into a random personal discussion between two users. The only way to save the thread is for someone to but in and try to get it back on track. However, this is very hard for newbies to do and makes people who are new to the board not want to post.

What should have happened in the above situation is after User 1 said "Yes I think that we should legalise gay marriage. God I am busy today." User 2 should have private messaged User 1 the next question. User 1 could then have asked User 2 to join him/her in the chat room. Where they could have continued their discussion further without derailing the thread.

So in short please try to keep on topic, off topic posts are generally okay on tvaus when many users are participating, but if it is just two users then head to the chat room or shoot off a private message. We have the private message system and the chat room for these situations.

We don't want to be handing out warnings for this behaviour, so please try your best to keep personal discussions off the public board.
Last edited by syl on Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:17 pm
On the subject of very busy forum...

Quite often, I cannot log in and I get the message...

"Too many connections"

How many is "Too many"?
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 882.50
Bank: 3,550,212.20
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:36 pm
I got a message friday afternoon around 4pm i was going to spend my last hour at work for the week here but couldn't log on i kept getting a message "We are currently experiencing higher than usual demand, please try again later" :( i had never got that before....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:41 pm
[quote:bcf7100f4a="ryaneco"]I got a message friday afternoon around 4pm i was going to spend my last hour at work for the week here but couldn't log on i kept getting a message "We are currently experiencing higher than usual demand, please try again later" :( i had never got that before....[/quote:bcf7100f4a]

Just refresh same shiat different day.
FREE SCHAPELLE
Cash on hand: 13,470.50
Bank: 5,302,197.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:14 pm
Are we free to waffle on about nothing in the clubhouse?
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 2,155.80
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:17 pm
They are there to discuss topics relevent to your state and also so you can get to know members who come from your state as well.

Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 15.00
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:17 pm
Yeah that really annoys the hell outta me. People think they can just make a thread their own. I'm very podantic...
[uf7][bf7][if7]Dollhouse[/if7] - Next Episode 'Vows' [/bf7][/uf7]
Buffy | Angel | Firefly | Dollhouse | The X-Files | Battlestar Galactica | Love My Way | Weeds | Six Feet Under | Twin Peaks | Dexter | Dead Like Me | Veronica Mars | Family Guy | Scrubs | Deadwood | The Wire | Desperate Housewives | Damages | 24 | American Dad | Skins | Rome | Arrested Development | 30 Rock | The Comeback |
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:24 am
[color=red:ac3cdf7a00]I am sure everyone would have read syl's post here, if not please read [b:ac3cdf7a00]NOW[/b:ac3cdf7a00][/color:ac3cdf7a00]

Lately I have received numerous complaints from members who feel unwelcome due to msn type conversations going on and completely off topic posts in most threads, such as the 'How Are You?' thread with comments like 'Party on' and the next will be 'Oh yeah, lets crack one open'. Posters are then confused as to what the topic is. I have spent the last hour deleting many of these type of posts. Please remember the Private Message system, the Chat Room or MSN.

[color=red:ac3cdf7a00]Warnings will be issued for continuos breach of these rules.[/color:ac3cdf7a00]

Return to General