The future log

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 575.00
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:17 am
Thanks guys,

It means a lot. Seriously.

UPDATE: I have been working on a few proof of concepts for some ideas around fetching content for posts. The redesign will hopefully have a real focus on new content and rich media. I can't say too much at this stage however I can assume you that I am very busy in the background experimenting with ideas.

I have also got the view topic page working. It's working both on mobile and desktop and so far I am really happy with how it's turned out.
tek | Admin and TVAus Founder.

It's unlikely that I will respond to PM's so please tweet me if there are any issues with the site. My twitter handle is @stewartmatheson.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,560.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:47 pm
I'm getting excited :D
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:19 pm
Jayel wrote:I'm getting excited :D

Me too :D I'm looking forward to all the changes and really appreciate everything you're doing for the site. Exciting times ahead.
Cash on hand: 157.00
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:00 pm
tek wrote:....It's working both on mobile and desktop...

We really are heading towards the 21st Century ... a tad on the late side but getting there :)

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:01 pm
UPDATE: Been a quiet week in tvaus land for me. I have had a bit of client work this week which has been nice to get paid however not so nice from a progress point of view. I still however have found a coupe of hours here and there to look at some tvaus work. I have been looking at importing external content in from blogs. I have been able to import content from a handful of blogs to this point. I have also been able to integrate this content in to a system called elastic search which will hopefully be able to provide us with external content to get this site a little more media rich. Basiclly the idea is import content that matches up to content we produce: I.E. the text and links to our posts. Images and videos that relate to popular topics have been a focus. The idea is when your reading a topic on tvaus the system displays articles images and videos that relate to that topic. It's a work in progress but I have built a similar system before. I will admit that system had mixed results however with a chance to iterate who's to say I can't get it working to a reasonable level.

If anyone has any blogs they read that are related or you have a blog your self then please post it here and I can add it to the list of blogs I have been using to test with.

It's unlikely that I will respond to PM's so please tweet me if there are any issues with the site. My twitter handle is @stewartmatheson.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:25 pm
I have reenabled image uploads here on a trial basis. I really want to see more media on the site to break up the text. So feel free to start uploading.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 1.26.39 pm.png

Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:57 am
Sounds good. I too would like to see more media. Usually when i put pictures up i use the img tag but this could work too. ooX

Appreciate everything you are doing for us.

Cash on hand: 108,389.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:05 am
some video cilps would help this site. I think it's a good idea.

There's another forum I go on that has videos uploaded on it. It works well there, so hopefully, it works well here too. Although I rarely don't post videos myself, I do like to watch them. Yes, I am lazy. lol :)
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:34 pm
yellow sock wrote:some video cilps would help this site. I think it's a good idea.

There's another forum I go on that has videos uploaded on it. It works well there, so hopefully, it works well here too. Although I rarely don't post videos myself, I do like to watch them. Yes, I am lazy. lol :)

Hey Yellow Sock,

I agree. Videos do enrich the content of the site. The issue is that video hosting would kill our little AWS server despite all the performance tuning I have done. We might have to settle for embedding youtube videos. If there is anyway to make this easier please let me know.

UPDATE: I have been making sporadic progress on the updates. Currently I am looking at the best way to index posts so I can match them with external content (that I have also been looking at indexing). It's a complex problem. Basically I have to intersect external content with ours. There are a few different ways of doing this so I am exploring these options. So far I have been doing this with limited success.

Today I had a breakthrough. I have finally been able to index our content in a searchable way. This makes keyword matching possible which allows content matching; the original goal of this whole exercise. I still have some tweaking to do but I feel like I am a step closer to a solution. I am SUPER PUMPED about this break though. I have been drawing blanks on this issue for around a week now but I finally feel progress is starting to be made.

Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:26 pm
UPDATE: Hey guys. Still progressing the designs for the new layout and working on getting the post message pages up and running. I have hit a bit of a wall with the content parsing side of the site so I will be looking at finishing of the design and HTML of the existing site. So far I have all the designs done for the posting page as well as the moderator and user control panels. I will start coding them up while looking at some more ideas for the content scraping.

PreviousNext

Return to General