The future log

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 575.00
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:50 pm
That's a great idea Jayel. I would love someone to write an email newsletter for the site. That's a great way to get users to visit. We should hold off for the new look and feel before we do that. I have also got a super secret idea that I am working on too but I am not %100 sure I can pull it off yet so no details there for the moment.

UPDATE: I have been continuing work on the new look and feel for the mobile site. I am around 80% finished that. I will start moving on to the full sized layouts soon and then post the designs. At that stage I will be calling all developers who want to work on the code of the site to help out. Any skill levels will be welcome!

The domain name has also FINALLY updated. Thank god for that. It took ages. I now own both domains in my account and can now direct as needed. So the great news there is that there is nothing stopping the migration. Currently I am panning the migration for this friday providing no client work gets in the way. The board will go down then so pass out the word on facebook/twitter whatever. I will confirm this as I have to co-ordiate it with our soon to be old hosts.
tek | Admin and TVAus Founder.

It's unlikely that I will respond to PM's so please tweet me if there are any issues with the site. My twitter handle is @stewartmatheson.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:19 pm
Sounds great. I am happy to help with the code if you need me. I don't know how much time i'll have but sounds like a good plan. Also i sent you a message. Not sure if you got it. Just an idea i had.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 pm
Just replied to your PM.

UPDATE: If your reading this then we are on the new server. As I post this the name servers have not yet updated so it's unlikely anyone else will be here but me but from the looks of things everything has worked nicely. The migration is complete!

More updates to come!

It's unlikely that I will respond to PM's so please tweet me if there are any issues with the site. My twitter handle is @stewartmatheson.
Cash on hand: 192.00
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:54 pm
tek wrote:Just replied to your PM.

UPDATE: If your reading this then we are on the new server. As I post this the name servers have not yet updated so it's unlikely anyone else will be here but me but from the looks of things everything has worked nicely. The migration is complete!

More updates to come!

Then as I am replying to this it must fully up and running. Job well done

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:25 pm
Nice work tek. Job well done :) ooX Good to be up and at it again.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:20 pm
OK first up a massive sorry to all you guys. I have been royally f**ed around by crazy domains this weekend. It's been exausting to be quite honest. Here is a rough timeline.

Friday 2pm : Updated name servers / a records.

Friday 5:30pm : Called crazy domains when the a record did not appear resulting in the site being down. They assured me it was a propagation issue and to wait 24 hours.
ME: "OK are you sure because the changes have propagated the NS servers".
CD: "Yes we are sure you just need to wait"
ME: "OK you guys know DNS better than me"

Sat 10:30am : Called CD again. Got same answer.

Sun 10:00am : Could not even get though to their technical support as there was an "emergency" in their call centre.
Sun 12:00pm waited 50 mins on hold to get disconnected
Sun 3:30pm Called up and did not hang up until they fixed the issue turns out it was an issue at their end.
CD: "It's a propagation issue"
ME: "No it's not there is a 24 hour TTL on the domain name. Its now been 48 hours"
CD: "OK I will check for you"
Hold for 15 mins
CD: "Looks like there is an issue with our DNS server and It was not a propagation issue. We have fixed it now"
ME: "****SOBBING"

So welcome to the new server. Please report an issues here. The server setup is really different to our last server. It should be much faster! Also I have fixed up the /forum issue. tvaus.com.au/index.php should work again. The server will throw a 301 when you access with that domain so google should start to update over the next few days. I will start planning the first mods that I want to install as well as making a few SEO improvements. Let me know if you have any feature ideas as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:35 pm
No need to apologise. We're all glad for what you have done so far. I hate being given the run around by internet hosts. You've done a great job and thanks for keeping us up to date with everything. ooX

As for suggestions i'll have a think. :)
Screen Actors Guild Winner
Cash on hand: 253.00
Bank: 0.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:30 am
No need to apologise mate , we understand the frusturation.
Thanks for keeping us up to datea nd good to see the site back up. Was worried for a second. :)
Cash on hand: 13,730.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 am
Well done Tek, you've worked hard. Much appreciated.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:14 am
Thanks again everyone.

I have been working on some more of the designs for tvaus. I have started the browser slates. I can reveal at this stage there will be full mobile support for tvaus's rebrand. That means the site will format it's self for your iOS/android device as well as looking great in the desktop.

I want to make tvaus more accessible for new users. While everyone is super friendly the site does nothing to entice users in. I want to make the sign up process much smoother and we also need a call to action on the main page.

Some other design goals of the new branding include; Simplification. There is a lot of crufty data that the forum displays. While this is fine it does dilute the real data which is the forum content. The new design will have lot less of this kind of data.

Chat. The new design while keeping the trimmings of tvaus will be more setup for a chat style flow. This will include reversing the forum orders so that most recent posts appear first and moving the quick post to the top of the page. This is to encourage new users to join in as well as keeping the most relevant content first on top the topic list.

Dynamic content: I have been looking in to google analytics lately. Our bounce rate is quite high. While we have a lot of new users coming to the site they leave right away. I see two reasons for this. Firstly the content of the site is at times 3 pages away form the index and secondly the front page of the site looks static. This was fine when we launched tvaus in 2001 however these days user expectation is higher. I am working on a few ideas here but I see TVAUS moving in more of a "buzz" direction. A great place for users to find out the latest news backed by a really strong community.

PreviousNext

Return to General