tek wrote:The new design while keeping the trimmings of tvaus will be more setup for a chat style flow. This will include reversing the forum orders so that most recent posts appear first and moving the quick post to the top of the page. This is to encourage new users to join in as well as keeping the most relevant content first on top the topic list.
So, please don't do that.
It makes it difficult to retain continuity when reading threads.
Do you want to know why?
Top posting is not a good idea.
Fair point and I have thought about that. My arguments for this change:
1. In the scheme of internet forums we have few threads and lots of replies. This is great. It suits us however when viewing a thread that's 500 pages long there is no way that the first post (often made years ago) is the most relevant.
2. I am not sure how much continuity expect from a 500 page thread. No one is going to sit there and read the whole thread from start to finish.
3. We use the quote system on phpbb very well. Most if not all users quote other users in their posts which add's to thread continuity
4. We are not engaging new users. It's killing the forums. I have been looking at the traffic that we are getting and we are getting no SEO traction at all on our threads. This is because the first post google encounters is so old. Reversing this could increase our SEO, make engagement with the community easier and inject new members in to the mix.
5. The concept of the internet forum is anachronistic. Younger generations of users engage with content in different ways now. Pages are expected to show case the latest content first. Most sites will put the newest updates front and centre. I feel we should be doing the same.
I am happy for other suggestions however I do at very least change this on a trial basis. The last thing I want to do is alienate community members however at the same time we need to encourage engagement form new members.