The future log

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,648.00
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:27 am
Sounds great O<>
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:32 pm
Great work Tek O<> your hard work is much appreciated :mrgreen: .

I've designed a few basic websites for uni (and then that was altering a pre made template created by our tutors, and also working on Dreamweaver) and wouldn't know how to go about moving TVaus to a new domain/server thingy. I'm glad we have some smart tech heads here at TVaus :ugeek:
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 575.00
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:57 pm
Hey no worries. All the server stuff here is quite straight forward for this site. The focus on modernising tvaus is not as straight forward. I have been working with a few designs and putting a few hours each day in on them. While I am getting to a point where these new designs can work there is still a lot of the fine detail work to be done. I am not a designer so it's taking more time than I though it would. I go back and forward a lot between colours and layouts but I figure if I keep refining then I will get to a point where things are looking like a site that people want to use.

I am basically building the site from the ground up. Design, functions layout and focus are all a complete rebuild. I don't know when I will have enough of the designs to show but I am working really hard on them. I hope to get to a point in the next two weeks where I can start posting them and revealing what the future of the site is.
tek | Admin and TVAus Founder.

It's unlikely that I will respond to PM's so please tweet me if there are any issues with the site. My twitter handle is @stewartmatheson.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 am
We need a like button, so I can like your post :D
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:56 pm
Jayel wrote:We need a like button, so I can like your post :D

Share buttons will be included with the new design. You will have an option to share posts on facebook twitter google+ and maybe pintrest but I am not sure about that one yet.

UPDATE : I have been setting up a workflow today to handle theme development. It's been tricky as phpbb has a very particular way it handles it's themes, styles and imagesets. I am getting closer to working it out though. Still not 100% sure how I am going to handle the final build and concat of assets but for the most part I have a work flow that I think will work. For development people I can confirm that I will be using the following technologies.

HAML for all of the markup that compiles down to HTML.
Coffeescript complies down to javascript and that will be using for all the scripting components.
SASS which compiles down to CSS which will be used to style the new site.

I am also using HTML5 Boilerplate to as the basis of the new theme. The theme also includes the responsive classes provided with HTML5BP to enable mobile browsing. I can reveal that this new theme will be known as "TVAUS next" and it will be the only theme that is available to users of TVAUS. I can also reveal that the theme will have a really modern feel and will resemble contemporary websites. I have a screen attached which is the theme all hooked in to the work flow I designed. I know it does not look like much but it took quite a lot to get to the point where I can get something rendering live in the browser.

The design for the new look and feel is around 70% done. I still have a few more pages to layout but apart from that it's all done. I am going to bounce between designing and coding as much as I can. That way if I run in to an issue I can go back and design and change any issues that I am having.

It's unlikely that I will respond to PM's so please tweet me if there are any issues with the site. My twitter handle is @stewartmatheson.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:57 pm
Fantastic Tek; can't say how much we appreciate what you're doing for us all.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:44 pm
UPDATE: Had another solid day of work today. I got our new header working. Very basic so far but it uses the latest html5 techniques. The development workflow is for the most part complete so styling the site can start moving forward. I still have to make sure I have build the responsive grid correctly but that's just about it. I have not had a chance to do any more design work but now that I have a start on development I am happy to back and design for a few days and get some stuff completed.

I have also spent some time looking at our SEO. In short phpbb is really bad at SEO. The worst part is how we publish urls and titles of our content. It's really bad! While I think I can improve titles urls on the other hand might be harder. This stuff can wait until the new design is up though.

Hope you all won loads on the Melbourne cup. Mrs. Tek did so I am off to ask her for a loan :P.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 pm
Haven't had the need to look for a smiley for a loooooooong time, but I think this was necessary - the right over my head smiley!

:lol: @ asking Mrs. Tek for a loan.

I won nothing, but only parted with $20 in a sweep.
Cash on hand: 167.00
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 pm
Jayel wrote:Haven't had the need to look for a smiley for a loooooooong time, but I think this was necessary - the right over my head smiley!

LMAO at your smiley ... I have missed seeing those ... that is a good one.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:14 pm
Jayel wrote:Haven't had the need to look for a smiley for a loooooooong time, but I think this was necessary - the right over my head smiley!

:lol: Yeah been a while since we've seen the smileys.

Thanks for the update tek. Can't wait to see what you've come up with.
PreviousNext

Return to General