The future log

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 575.00
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:37 pm
cleo wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I've entered every variation I could think of containing the letters tv/aus/com/au/www/http!! :P
I just opened IE and typed in "tvaus" in the address line ... and the normal. The Tab title comes up with "Redirection to new TvAus site" - which it has done for a couple of years(?).
So I opened a 2nd tab and typed in "www.tvaus.com" and ... voila ... we have a page open!

So whatever you did (I read your post, but its all gibberish I'm afraid) - may have done the trick. Well done. And good luck with all you're trying to achieve. O<>

Yep sounds exactly like the issue that I thought you where having. Sorry for the gibberish :). You might want to update your bookmarks as well however you should get redirected to the correct url from now on. Just to be on the safe side it might be worth clearing your browser data to remove any cached copies of the site. Google "IE clear browser cache" and you should find instructions on how to do this.
tek | Admin and TVAus Founder.

It's unlikely that I will respond to PM's so please tweet me if there are any issues with the site. My twitter handle is @stewartmatheson.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,598.00
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:12 pm
You're doing a fantastic job looking after us all, tek ooX
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Jayel wrote:You're doing a fantastic job looking after us all, tek ooX

More than welcome! I will have most of the day tomorrow to work on the site so there will be some design work and some front end coding. Will keep you posted with updates on my progress at the end of tomorrow.

It's unlikely that I will respond to PM's so please tweet me if there are any issues with the site. My twitter handle is @stewartmatheson.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:48 pm
tek wrote:The new design while keeping the trimmings of tvaus will be more setup for a chat style flow. This will include reversing the forum orders so that most recent posts appear first and moving the quick post to the top of the page. This is to encourage new users to join in as well as keeping the most relevant content first on top the topic list.

So, please don't do that.
It makes it difficult to retain continuity when reading threads.
Do you want to know why?
Top posting is not a good idea.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 am
Fringedweller wrote:
tek wrote:The new design while keeping the trimmings of tvaus will be more setup for a chat style flow. This will include reversing the forum orders so that most recent posts appear first and moving the quick post to the top of the page. This is to encourage new users to join in as well as keeping the most relevant content first on top the topic list.

So, please don't do that.
It makes it difficult to retain continuity when reading threads.
Do you want to know why?
Top posting is not a good idea.

Hey Fringedweller,

Fair point and I have thought about that. My arguments for this change:

1. In the scheme of internet forums we have few threads and lots of replies. This is great. It suits us however when viewing a thread that's 500 pages long there is no way that the first post (often made years ago) is the most relevant.

2. I am not sure how much continuity expect from a 500 page thread. No one is going to sit there and read the whole thread from start to finish.

3. We use the quote system on phpbb very well. Most if not all users quote other users in their posts which add's to thread continuity

4. We are not engaging new users. It's killing the forums. I have been looking at the traffic that we are getting and we are getting no SEO traction at all on our threads. This is because the first post google encounters is so old. Reversing this could increase our SEO, make engagement with the community easier and inject new members in to the mix.

5. The concept of the internet forum is anachronistic. Younger generations of users engage with content in different ways now. Pages are expected to show case the latest content first. Most sites will put the newest updates front and centre. I feel we should be doing the same.

I am happy for other suggestions however I do at very least change this on a trial basis. The last thing I want to do is alienate community members however at the same time we need to encourage engagement form new members.

Thoughts?

Cash on hand: 30,542.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:24 am
Firstly, I learn to play with whatever toys I'm given, so I'd get used to any changes.
I only frequent a couple of forums and blogs - the biggest would be Whirlpool. They have masses of traffic, even in the tv/movie/lifestyle forums (it's predominantly a tech forum) so how does it vary to tvAus? Except for overall style and some real douchebag members, not much by my reckoning. For instance if I choose to go to the Man of Steel thread, the posts appear in the same order as they do here. It's the natural way to read ... ie, the latest action is at the bottom of the page. If I want to know what happened previously, I read backwards, not forwards down the page. Like a book. Maybe that's cos I'm old???
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:48 pm
cleo wrote:Firstly, I learn to play with whatever toys I'm given, so I'd get used to any changes.
I only frequent a couple of forums and blogs - the biggest would be Whirlpool. They have masses of traffic, even in the tv/movie/lifestyle forums (it's predominantly a tech forum) so how does it vary to tvAus? Except for overall style and some real douchebag members, not much by my reckoning. For instance if I choose to go to the Man of Steel thread, the posts appear in the same order as they do here. It's the natural way to read ... ie, the latest action is at the bottom of the page. If I want to know what happened previously, I read backwards, not forwards down the page. Like a book. Maybe that's cos I'm old???

It does not vary form tvaus in that way. I would argue that Whirlpool does not present their data in the best way either. Whirlpool also render all posts on one page with out pagination which must be horrible for people with slower connections. I would have no idea about how they cache that either. How about this. Why not when it comes to the time we do an AB test. We run for a month with the topics reversed if the bounce rate is the same and new registrations are not up then we can revert back.

However if there is a reduction in bounce rate and new signups would you not agree that is a better thing?

Cash on hand: 30,542.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:57 pm
tek wrote:Whirlpool also render all posts on one page with out pagination

Huh? They do pages. Pages and pages of pages.
However, I did see the "no page" thing today on the Connections/Regional/Satellite forum when I did a search. (God that was annoying. :? ) Entering the same thread through the list shows up 80+ pages.

tek wrote:How about this. Why not when it comes to the time we do an AB test. We run for a month with the topics reversed if the bounce rate is the same and new registrations are not up then we can revert back.

However if there is a reduction in bounce rate and new signups would you not agree that is a better thing?

Like I said, I'll get used to whatever I'm given. It's your baby - go for it! :)
Cash on hand: 13,598.00
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:54 pm
I'm with cleo on this, I'm just happy we're still up and running, and any changes will be fun.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:51 am
Thanks guys. Like I said I will see how it goes then change it back. I would hate to alienate the core of this community.

UPDATE : I have been working really hard on getting the grid layout working for the new tvaus design. I think I have finally cracked it. I have a flow style grid that rearranges it's self depending on what device your using. It will also rearrange when you rotate your tablet/smart phone. This grid flow will control the whole layout of the site so I have spent a lot of time making sure it's robust. Next I will move on to getting some of the posts to output correctly so I can see the layout in action!

PreviousNext

Return to General