TVAus : The Way Forward

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,877.00
Bank: 1,041,530.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:17 pm
Well, as you will be well aware we lost complete access to the site for a couple of weeks but the site has now been restored at a cost of $220.00 which Tek has done.

Tek spent many hours on the phone with the hosting company to get the site restored at a reduced or cost neutral amount but to no avail.

Tek is now looking at finding an alternate hosting site and once this has been done the site will be seamlessly (well in theory) be migrated to the new location.

For a long time now Tek and crew have been paying for the hosting out of their own money and for a six months period a couple of years back I took over those payments.

With this current outage I again donated some money to get the site back up and running.

To this end we would be seeking donations from members to keep the site going.

At this stage there is no donation button available but we are working on that.

In the interim if you would like to make a donation to the site can you please message me the amount and your email address. I will then let Tek know who will send you a PayPal request to your email account.

You can donate any amount from $5.00.

Your donations will be appreciated by Tek and the entire Mod Squad.

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 575.00
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:36 pm
My $0.02,

I find it a real shame that the hosting company would not even budge on the $220. I have been working in this industry since I set this site up and that is not a good way to do business. So we are leaving them. As I work full time I will have to make the time to migrate the site across servers. I will look at a few different hosts and their pricing but currently AWS and li-node would be the front runners. I will move the domain name to by crazydomains account where I have a number of other domain names hosted.

The new server will be a complete fresh install of phpBB which is the forum software that drives TVAUS. I will need to work out the best way to migrate all of the content across however that will happen in time. I will also look at unifying the themes. I hope that none of you are too attached to the theme's currently as they will change. The reason being that If I need to make changes to the site I only have to make the changes in one place not 3 or 4 as our current setup requires.

It's worth noting that I don't get paid for my time with this forum however I am committed to keeping it running. I would not have paid the $220 if I was not. TVAUS costs cash money to run. Advertising brings in cash money. You can join the dot's. Ideally I would like to introduce a SMALL fee to hide these adds for those who are happy to pay that. Also if we can have a bit of money coming in that will allow me to work on the site and give it some long needed updates. I have a few ideas for a wikipeida style "tvedia" that we will all be able to edit and contribute to as well as the current forums. Again if we have some regular money coming in ideas like this become more possible.

Anyway more more more to come... first lets get the hosting issue resolved.
tek | Admin and TVAus Founder.

It's unlikely that I will respond to PM's so please tweet me if there are any issues with the site. My twitter handle is @stewartmatheson.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,883.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:37 pm
*uses irony*
Just like how kevin rudd won himself the election
A new way!

Ah well...
I'm riding the prairie on my stallion, a mustang as such, and my sweetheart Mary now knits a stocking for me, a thousand miles away from here.

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,283.00
Bank: 4,820,179.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:49 am
Thanks, Tek, for all the work you put into TVAus to keep it up and running.
I'm not attached to the theme particularly, plus a new look might bring some old posters back and attract a few new ones too.
If you add a donate button, I'm happy to donate.

Return to General