Housing/Land

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)

Daytime Soap Star
Cash on hand: 105.00
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 pm
I'm going to be honest - this is a self-serving question. But I would greatly appreciate all your help.

I have an interview at the Department of Housing for a job next week. It's a group interview but one of the tasks involves an individual written assessment. Past experience suggests that the individual assessment will revolve around the challenges facing the Department in the future (or something along those lines). So I was wondering if anyone knows much about land/housing at the moment and could shed some light on potential problems.

So far from my research I've found that the Department has a goal to provide affordable housing to at least 20,000 people by 2020. An obvious issue that could affect this is if the value of land/housing substantially increases in the future.

Also, if anyone has any experiences with group interviews please share them.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,735.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 pm
unfortunately I know nothing about it, but I'm sure someone will come along and help you out.

Good luck with it!

Daytime Soap Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:21 am
Thanks! I've been looking at recent news articles. I figure it shows that I keep up to date with the news and that I have an understanding of the current housing market climate.

But group interviews are not my strong suit. I don't feel that they really test your ability to work in a group. They just highlight the attention seekers and loud mouths who will say/do whatever they have to to get a job. Guess that's what I have to be if I want it.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 30,587.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:38 am
jimpton wrote:But group interviews ... highlight the attention seekers and loud mouths who will say/do whatever they have to to get a job. Guess that's what I have to be if I want it.

:lol:
Depends what the employer is looking for - they also show the idiots!
As it's a Govt Dept I'd imagine it might be a relatively conservative activity (compared to, say, a group interview for a shop assistant at a trendy boutique), and also, what sort of job is it? Policy or coal face? IT ? Pushing a broom? Public contact or internal only?
Generally speaking preparation is the key - know all the buzzwords (affordability, sustainability, demographics, in fill/urban renewal, vacancy rates, maintenance, design, facilities, transport links, social justice, etc, etc, etc) and what they mean, current issues in your community (you said you've been reading the paper etc - good) and what your possible job's role is (1st contact level, advice, approval level/decision making, complaints, investigation,). Also, think about your answer to the questions:
1. "What will you personally bring to this position / Why should you get the job over the guy sitting next to you?"
2. "Why do you want this job?"

Sorry to not be of much help, but Good Luck!

Daytime Soap Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:57 am
Thanks Cleo!

I didn't think about the buzzwords, that's a good suggestion. I tend to answer questions in more simple terms but using the bigger, more all-encompassing words will probably leave a better impression.

Return to General