New Year Resolutions for 2012

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 302.60
Bank: 2,763,819.00
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:33 pm
CTUAffillate wrote:Then the flipside is they sometimes cry abandonment "after all I've done for you" issues whenever it suits when you do express the desire to get out on your own.. (in my case being a single parent home my being here helps out with bills/etc but at times can also up the expenses at the same time) Sigh.. its a complicated life.. make up your minds! :P

That's really simple to handle ... just keep your mouth shut until you're ready to go. Then leave and don't expect her to support you or bail you out along the way. There is no reason to "express the desire" to her at all and it could be seen by her as a threat especially if the desire is expessed in conjunction with a disagreement. Meh ... whenever my oldest "expressed the desire" I pointed to the front door and told him to make sure it didn't hit him on the way out. Turned out he was always just getting my hopes up and always disappointed me by staying.

Parent's have no right to expect their children to support them after they reach adulthood. What we do as parents for our kids isn't redeemable later, even though it would be nice to think we've raised our children with the kind of values that they would help out when needed if they are in a position to do so.

I do know where you are coming from CTUAffiliate because my mother was the same. That attitude only ends in grief for the parent though because eventually their kid will move out whether the parent likes it or not. May as well be sooner than later, provided you can support yourself.
"Reason cannot prevail where reason cannot penetrate" (Peter Quennell).
Previous

Return to General