The Stupid Things We Do As Children.

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,735.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:21 pm
I remembered this one today while taking to a client ...
When I was about 13 I was in needlework class. Patricia Carlisle, yes, I even remember her name, and I decided to sew our thumbs together.

You don't have to draw blood, or we'd never have done it; you can just pick up the first layer of skin , put the needle and thread through, and away you go.
So ... or sew ... hehehe, there we were all stitched up together when the teacher said, "Patricia and Elizabeth, go and sit down ..."
We sat on opposite sides of the room, so we grit our teeth, pulled ourselves apart, and off we went ... ...

A thing I've never forgotten, but it didn't hurt! :D
EDIT - I think I can fill a thread up with the memories that are coming to mind all, on my own! :?
Last edited by Jayel on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:26 pm
Doing stupid things is how kids & adults alike learn lessons.

My brother, when he was about 10, decided that picking up a stick and whacking it against the trunks of random trees would be fun and cool. He and his friend could pretend to be pirates or Jedi knights or something.

The stick snapped, a bit flew back into my brother's face and the next thing he needed a trip to the hospital for two stitches above his upper lip. Lesson learned!

A lot of kids decide the adults must be wrong and there is actually nothing wrong with eating LOTS of lollies and not saving any til later. That is until you feel sick and puke and realise the adults might have been right.
Tony: "I'm not getting any reception. How about you?"
Ziva: "I'm braless"
Tony: "I noticed that earlier. But on your phone, they're called 'bars'"

NCIS :)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:42 am
Ouch! That sounds painful!

And yes, I agree, although I seemed to be a not to fast learner where electricity was concerned.

My mum told me when I was just learning to crawl around I was always trying to push knitting needles in power points, so she had to keep plugs in them all. I remember when I was about 5 I got an electric shock from touching something I shouldn't have been touching in the local record shop (remember record shops?). I can't remeber what I touched but it caused a bit of a stirr. Then one day at about 8/9 my sister and I were at my Grandparents house, I don't know where they or my parents were, but I was sitting in an arm chair flicking the lamp on and off. There was no bilb in it. The noise was really irritating my sister until she finally told me to stop it; that I we didn't know if it was on or off, and being cocky I told her it was off and stuck my finger in the bulb hole to prove it - but it was on! :shock: , and then again, when I was old enough to know better, at about 12/13 I was standing in the kitchen making toast in the open toaster, and I remembered my mum telling me NEVER to stick a knife in the toaster or you'll get a shock. It had happened to her when mum and dad first got married. So there was me thinking about it while I was waiting, knife in hand, and wondered what it would be like, so I stuck the knife on the element, and bam! It hurt! :shock:

I thnk I finally leared after that escapade!
Cash on hand: 30,587.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Jayel wrote: and I remembered my mum telling me NEVER to stick a knife in the toaster or you'll get a shock. It had happened to her when mum and dad first got married. So there was me thinking about it while I was waiting, knife in hand, and wondered what it would be like, so I stuck the knife on the element, and bam! It hurt! :shock:

My Mum delights in telling the story of me as a baby sitting on her foot in the kitchen when she (accidently) stuck the knife in the toaster! :P

Also, when I was very young, we had an outside dunny complete with sawdust bin. One year I got a puppy. Puppy had to go everywhere with me including, naturally, the dunny even though I'd been told not to take her in there. So one day I carefully made puppy stand on the toilet seat (it was one of those broad, flat timber jobs) while I obviously did something important. Puppy fell in. So to try and hide the evidence puppy got rolled in the sawdust bin. Somehow I got found out. :D
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:07 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: A sawdust coated puppy!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:01 pm
Sugar and salt are opposites, right? Well, that's what i thought when I was about seven years old. Somehow I managed to add three teaspoons of sugar to my cup of tea one day, rather than the usual one. Way too sweet. I'm sure you can work the rest out for yourselves.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:56 pm
Ride my bike into a webber bbq. It was on the grass and i was coming down the driveway and still managed to hit it. Crazy hey! :lol:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:12 pm
:lol: uch!

You reminded me about a time I just learned to ride my bike; I went through the roses, down the boarder and into the brick wall! That did hurt!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:00 pm
Speaking of pushbikes, soon after I got mine I installed a speedometer to it. It indicated up to 60km/h. Of course I became curious if I could wind the needle off the clock. There was a short street running steeply down a hill near home. Good spot, I thought. Pedalling like mad, I got it to about 58, when the handle bar started to go into death-wobbles, but that wasn't going to beat me. At 61 or 62 the needle touched the little pin that stops it from going further and the wobbles became extreme. Mission accomplished, I hit the brakes. The bike started sliding. This is where I realised that I was approaching the horizontal bit of a T-intersection at the bottom of the hill. Somehow I came to a halt before being catapulted through a fence into someone's front yard by the step of the footpath, and I was also lucky not to be hit by someone driving along the street I was crossing. When I got home I did not tell anyone about my experiment.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:13 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hilarious - although it probably wasn't at the time.

That reminds me of another bike incident.

My sister gave me her old handbag. I was SO delighted in her giving it to me, I decided to show it off in the street and went for a cycle with it.

It was just a basic brown round bag, but it had a long strap, so I hung it on my handlebars.

I was cycling along very happily when the bag got caught in the front wheel, causing the wheel to stop abruptly, and over the handlebars I went and landed flat on my face, just as a guy was walking past.

I would have been about 13, and he would have been about 16. I was mortified. I think the embarrassment outweighed the pain.

Return to General