Australia Day

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,660.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 am
Any one got any plans for Australia Day?

I think I might go out Tuesday night and see if anything is going on. It all seems pretty dead around here.

All alcohol bans in parks and headland, and I don't fancy sitting in a pub if it's a nice day.
Cash on hand: 302.60
Bank: 2,763,819.00
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:20 pm
Jayel wrote:All alcohol bans in parks and headland, and I don't fancy sitting in a pub if it's a nice day.

My whole home town has been an alcohol free zone for a few years now. You're in Australia Jayel so time to learn the australian way. Ever heard of spiking your own drinks aka premixing your drinks in the orginal mixer bottle, or decanting aka buying non-alcoholic wine from the supermarket and substituting it with the real stuff. In my experience the enforcers of the bans only check the bottle label, that is IF they bother to check at all. Sure it isn't the ideal way to drink your wine but it sure beats what actually comes in those fancy glass bottles. ;)
"Reason cannot prevail where reason cannot penetrate" (Peter Quennell).
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 2,060.40
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:33 pm
OJ wrote:
Jayel wrote:All alcohol bans in parks and headland, and I don't fancy sitting in a pub if it's a nice day.

My whole home town has been an alcohol free zone for a few years now. You're in Australia Jayel so time to learn the australian way. Ever heard of spiking your own drinks aka premixing your drinks in the orginal mixer bottle, or decanting aka buying non-alcoholic wine from the supermarket and substituting it with the real stuff. In my experience the enforcers of the bans only check the bottle label, that is IF they bother to check at all. Sure it isn't the ideal way to drink your wine but it sure beats what actually comes in those fancy glass bottles. ;)

I was wondering where this post was going; thinking after "learn the australian way" you'd be going on about decency and respect for the laws ... but no! :lol:
Cash on hand: 302.60
Bank: 2,763,819.00
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:54 pm
Tom2011 wrote:
OJ wrote:

I was wondering where this post was going; thinking after "learn the australian way" you'd be going on about decency and respect for the laws ... but no! :lol:

Meant to add that soaking off and reapplying labels (the old switcharoony) is also a useful skill to acquire.

One of my cherubs brews his own beers, ciders and ginger ale (alcoholic of course). He just adds whatever labels he wants. Of course you need a laser printer to pull this trick off, because ink-jet print just runs when you put the drinks on ice in the esky. This trick takes a LOT of forward planning though, but as a uni student he tends to have lots of time on his hands.
"Reason cannot prevail where reason cannot penetrate" (Peter Quennell).
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:04 pm
Tom2011 wrote:I was wondering where this post was going; thinking after "learn the australian way" you'd be going on about decency and respect for the laws ... but no! :lol:

What made you think that? The fact that two of our biggest national heroes are Ned Kelly and the Jolly Swagman?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Cash on hand: 12,680.00
Bank: 975,954.30
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:50 pm
I am attempting my first BBQ at my new place (well ever actually).

I have a new barby and some guests (it seems a few friends are willing to risk food poisoning) and I am doing fianl prep work. I hope it goes well, but it is more civilized than my previous parties for my Birthday each year i host. They tend to be I supply junk food in all sorts and set the blender up (with lots of ice), throw on some 90's pop and see what happens ;)

Fingers crossed!
Cash on hand: 13,660.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:55 pm
Yes, that's the way to do it, VMars. Have had a few good Australia Day dos at home. Just don't want to do it anymore.

Hope you have a great time. I'm sure you will.

Tom2011 wrote:
OJ wrote:

:lol: I know what you mean! I was expecting, (not from OJ in particular), a reply saying something like, why does alcohol have to play such an important part in the day - or words to that effect!

Nice one OJ! ooX

That also isn't the issue. I know how to smuggle my own in if I have to. Have done that on many occasion in different circumstances! :lol:

I also know why they are banning it as in the last couple of years we've been over run with drunken yobs/hooligans/undesirables from other suburbs who have ruined it for everyone when it's meant to be a "family" , "community" time.
It would just be nice if we could pack up the esky and go and sit somewhere locally and take in the festivities like on New Years Eve.

:o OMG! I'm getting old! :shock:
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:09 pm
Jayel wrote:I was expecting, (not from OJ in particular), a reply saying something like, why does alcohol have to play such an important part in the day - or words to that effect!

The answer is: It's our heritage! Or, to put it in two words: Rum Corps.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 547,683.00
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:20 pm
Australia Day = The appropriation of the Australian flag for all sorts of paraphernalia. Very American-like I guess. I could've sworn not THAT long ago this was NOT as wide spread a thing with the whole 'flag waving' deal that it is now? Go the G&G I reckon. But I suppose things like September 11, Bali etc... Makes our times a little different now.

Biggest fireworks of the year... lots of alcohol, BBQs ... Also equals the major supermarkets open all day here, sigh, when are they NOT open these days. :roll: :P

Also, known as 'Invasion Day.'
Cash on hand: 30,562.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:09 pm
Cellar Door wrote: ... Also equals the major supermarkets open all day here, sigh, when are they NOT open these days. :roll: :P

miss cleo (in a fashion shop) and most of her mates (maccas, eating places, supermarkets) are thrilled to be getting Pub Hol rates for working on Australia Day.
As you say, when are the shops NOT open?
Next

Return to General