Gardeners World

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,735.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:25 pm
Okay, Gayle I need you!

My bushes just went odd and died for no apparent reason. so today I've cut them back to stumps.
I have no idea what they are, as they were there when we bought the place from brand new 9 years ago, and everything seems to have flourished on their own ever since!.

The same bush is looking pretty well alive and kicking on the other side of the garden.

My thoughts - the trees have taken away their sun.

There are signs of life at the bottom of each bush, and feel they will explode by spring.

Advice and tips would be much appreciated!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:33 pm
Some plants have quite a short average life expectancy. On my neighbouring property grew an umbrella tree. It looked majestic, especially when it had that huge bunch of flowers at its top, about seven metres above the ground. Then three of its eight stems collapsed one by one in a matter of weeks, damaging gutters and fences as they came down. I took a photo of the tree and a leaf to a plant nursery. The owner of the nursery looked at them briefly, and said something like: "Ah yes, that's a (rattles off some Latin name which I cannot remember). They live fast and die young. This tree is probably about 12 years old and at the end of its life span." Using a ladder, ropes and a tree saw, I cut it down piece by piece. That took about eight hours and was quite an adventure, especially lopping the bits hanging over the footpath above the power lines.

Of course this may not apply to your bushes. It is really difficult to help when you can't tell us what they were / are.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:47 pm
Well, the one on the other side is still growing as it should be. This one I cut back to stumps, there's signs of life still happening. My neighbour told me I should cut it back each year. I tend to do that with the other side as it's easier to access! Will see what happens. I've got a feeling it was struggling to survive with less sunshine, and too many old twigs/branchy bits still attached to it.

Thge only two things in my garden I know what they are is my Tibouchina and the Gardenias , the others I have no idea what they are.

My partner took some leaves off the trees to the local garden center to find out what they were, and the young guy he spoke to when asked what they were, looked at the leaves in his hand and said "Leaves?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cash on hand: 302.60
Bank: 2,763,819.00
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:36 pm
Jayel wrote:
My partner took some leaves off the trees to the local garden center to find out what they were, and the young guy he spoke to when asked what they were, looked at the leaves in his hand and said "Leaves?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why don't you post a photo of the one that is still alive Jayel. Then someone might actually recognise it and be able to help.
"Reason cannot prevail where reason cannot penetrate" (Peter Quennell).
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:26 pm
OJ wrote:
Jayel wrote:

Why don't you post a photo of the one that is still alive Jayel. Then someone might actually recognise it and be able to help.

:o Good thinking OJ! Never thought of anything as sensible as that.
It's dark and wet out there now, but I'll get onto that tomorrow.

I'll post the good one, and what's left of the bad one, and plus the trees, I've always wondered what they are. All I know they are some kind of native.
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:37 pm
Some closeups of the leaves would be useful too.

I still think a knowledgeable and cooperative worker in a plant nursery is more likely to be useful, especially if you bring along some soil samples and he / she has the equipment to test for hp levels and such. It's worth paying a fee for the service. I used to pay in kind (by buying a few plants before leaving).

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:07 pm
It would be helpful if the garden center had some professional person there instead of a spotty pre-pubescent boy looking for some pocket money.

BUT, will get those pics done.
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Jayel wrote:It would be helpful if the garden center had some professional person there instead of a spotty pre-pubescent boy looking for some pocket money.

You say that as if there was only one plant nursery in Sydney. Or are you just looking at Coogee Bay Road? ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:45 pm
Fringedweller wrote:
Jayel wrote:It would be helpful if the garden center had some professional person there instead of a spotty pre-pubescent boy looking for some pocket money.

You say that as if there was only one plant nursery in Sydney. Or are you just looking at Coogee Bay Road? ;)

:lol: There isn't one there, so the nearest is Gardens R Us on - :? Gardeners Road, Kingsford. funnily enough! Never thought of that before! (as in the road name!)
Otherwise you're back to Bunnings garden center and back to the spotty pre-pubescents, or Kmart garden bit!
Maybe need to drive out to the sticks a bit.

Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:51 pm
Gardens R U? Gardeners Road? :lol:
Next

Return to General