Mobile Phones

Generally anything goes. Most topics of conversation are acceptable, so long as they fall in line with the forum's main guidelines. Be good... Be Happy :)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 9,825.00
Bank: 804,267.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:44 pm
I'm right handed, but always pick a phone up with my left hand :)
Cash on hand: 5,217.50
Bank: 5,096,960.90
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:46 pm
I'm exactly the same, Rayne. I also always hold the phone up to my left ear.
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 2,919,109.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:11 pm
I mainly use my right ear for telephone conversations, as my left ear's a bit screwed up from the times when half my earphones weren't working and I couldn't afford to buy any new pairs.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 44, 68, 27, 35, 42, 58, 47, 63, 85, 74, 67, 66, 51, 79, 42, 24, 45, sixty-ten, 6, 7, 56, 65, 44, 53, 44, 17, 13, 23
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:51 pm
I'm right handed, but do plenty of things with my left hand (such as picking up a glass to drink from). I'm ambivalent in choosing a hand to hold my phone with; I switch from ear to ear throughout the conversation :mrgreen:.
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 167.50
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:09 pm
^Ditto.

Jayde xox
"If two people were meant to be together, eventually they'll find their way back." - Chuck Bass
Weather Presenter
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:04 pm
I have an iPhone, best phone I have ever owned. Absolutely perfect, love having the applications and everything. It's also really simple to use. Just an all round awesome phone =)
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 42.50
Bank: 2.50
Mood: in a huff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:10 am
My phone right now looks good and is so easy to use but its kind of babyish. It's a pink Samsung but it makes the calls and sends the texts. ;)

I don't use it for music anymore and I use the tones that came with the phone. Also the camera is a bit sh!t.
Cash on hand: 882.50
Bank: 3,905,233.20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:58 am
I got a new phone just before Xmas last year, I resigned my cap plan with Vodaphone, I got the new LG Renoir its pretty funky haven't had any major problems with it, sometimes it runs a little slow but a reset fixes that, or delete messages tends to run slow when I get to about 1200 sms'.

It has an 8mp Camera, wifi, blueteeth, dolby mobile speakers, internal and external storage, touch screen, big screen =) heaps more, its maybe the fanciest phone I've ever owned :P

I use my phone ALL the time for work primarily I pay $79 a month with Vodaphone which gives me $550 worth of text, sms etc and I get 500Mb of data each month to surf the net etc.

Work basically pay for my plan though, I get a $20 allowance per week for Mobile Usage so thats $80 a month, so I'm technically making $1 haha.

Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:16 pm
Found this interesting

[quote:0143e83429]Text-addict kids 'make more mistakes'
Mex Cooper
August 11, 2009 - 4:25PM

Mobile phones are training children to act impulsively and make more mistakes, according to new research.

A study of 317 Melbourne high school students found frequent mobile phone users were faster to respond in a series of tests but also made more errors.

The children, aged between 11 and 14, from 20 schools were given tests to measure their speed, accuracy, memory and ability to learn through association.

Those who made 15 to 20 calls or texts per week were more likely to respond quickly before they knew the correct answer.

The research, headed by Monash University epidemiologist Professor Michael Abramson, found predictive texting, in particular, was changing the way children's brains worked by teaching them to act before thinking through a response.

Radiation associated with mobile phones, a long-held health fear, did not appear to be to blame for the higher rates of inaccuracy in frequent phone users.

Monash University researcher Geza Benke said children who were heavy texters, and were exposed to low levels of radiation, had similar test results as those who made a lot of phone calls and were in closer contact with handsets.

"There's a couple of hypotheses you can generate from this - one is that it's possible that the use of mobile phones is training kids to do this," Dr Benke said.

"Another possibility is that it just so happens that kids who are fast and don't worry too much about the errors they make tend to be the ones who also are using the phone technology more because that suits them.

Dr Benke, a father of six, said the researchers believed it was most likely that mobile phone use was changing children's behaviour but that the study shouldn't alarm parents.

"I think there are already so many other things out there that affects kids' brains that I wouldn't worry about the mobiles," he said.

"I think there's nothing here that would show great concern from a public health point of view."

Nearly a quarter of Australian children aged between six and 13 own a mobile phone.[/quote:0143e83429]
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/textaddict-kids-make-more-mistakes-20090811-egpz.html

Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:41 pm
Going back to one of my original questions at the start of the thread...

[quote:82a1972641]- Does anyone have (or know anyone who has) just a mobile but no landline?[/quote:82a1972641]
[quote:82a1972641]Millions set to disconnect their fixed-line phones
September 5, 2009

Research by the Australian Communications and Media Authority shows as many as one in five consumers have considered dropping their fixed line subscriptions to save money.

ABOUT 2 million people are considering ditching their fixed-line home phones, as Australians move closer to becoming one of the world's first wireless economies.

For the first time this year, the communications giant Telstra has had more mobile phone subscribers than fixed-line subscribers. Mobile phones now outnumber fixed lines by more than two-to-one.

There are 105 mobiles for every 100 people, making Australia one of the most saturated markets in the world behind South Korea, with 114 mobile phones for every 100 people.

Although research has shown the decline of fixed lines has been relatively slow, declining by 1.7 per cent a year since 2004, research by the Australian Communications and Media Authority shows as many as one in five consumers have considered dropping their fixed line subscriptions to save money. The Australian Mobile Telecommunications Association's chief executive, Chris Althaus, said the trend has been exacerbated by the slowing economy and improving mobile phone technology.

"There's been more and more case studies published, which have shown the extraordinary productivity potential of employees being enabled with mobile devices," he said. ''It's no longer seen as a non-core cost for a business - if anything, it's easier to cut back on fixed lines here and there.''

An ACMA study last year found the decline of fixed lines has been led by younger consumers. About 91 per cent of retirees said their main form of communication was the fixed-line phone, while 70 per cent of 18-to-31 year-olds consider mobile phones as their main form of communication.

Apart from being early adopters of new technology, Mr Althaus said there were also social reasons young people were more dependent on mobile phones.

"The relationship between mobile and fixed [lines] has been changing over time,'' he said. ''Young people tend not to rely on fixed because they are moving house reasonably often and enjoy the continuity of the number and the accessibility they can get from their mobile.

''This is all being amplified at the minute by the very substantial take-up of mobile data, so what's happening is the functionality of the mobile phone has expanded dramatically.''

This year Telstra reported its fixed-line subscribers fell by four per cent to 9.2 million, while its mobile-phone subscribers increased four per cent to 9.7 million subscribers.

An ACMA spokesman said Australians owned a total of 21.2 million mobile phones.

But despite the market saturation, a CommSec economist, Craig James, said mobile phones were a revolving technology and the huge demand for new phone models would mean that demand should remain high for at least another 12 months.

Although retail spending slowed in July, more than 560,000 mobile phones were sold at the wholesale level - a 3.1 per cent increase on the same month in 2008.

''It just goes to show that Australians … love their gadgets,'' Mr James said.

''If you're a consumer, mobile phones are right at the centre of your discretionary spend and if you're an employer, it's seen as a basic cost of business.''
[/quote:82a1972641]
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/millions-set-to-disconnect-their-fixedline-phones-20090904-fbih.html
PreviousNext

Return to General